Is Greer really Claustrophobic ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Razor One View Post
    Thing is though, he's had military training. They generally teach you how to deal with fear and panic and how best to deal with it.

Dealing with fear and maintaining a cool head does not necessarily mean the fear and panic aren't there.

I'm also claustrophobic. Growing up with an older brother and sister tended to make me a bit of a victim in that department, often they'd lock me in a closet or bury me under pillows and sit on them to trigger a panic attack.

While there is a surge of panic, fear, adrenaline and so on, I learned to clamp down on my emotions and remain calm. Because panic was the desired response, not panicking negated whatever satisfaction my elder siblings got from their depredations, resulting in them moving towards other methods of sibling competition and a reduction of their desire to trigger my claustrophobia.

It's all relative. I knew a person once that was terrified of feathers and quite literally couldn't stand to be in the same room as them, let alone near a bird. Cover the cage over with a cloth though, and it was all good, even if the bird was squawking and twittering away happily.
    yep, exactly, we learn to cope with our fears, and I think Greer;s sense of duty had him go underground to help protect the people he was with. Not because he wasn't afraid but in spite of that fear.

Aside from being claustrophobic, I'm scared to death of rats and, although I definitely don't have to handle rats or be around them in my life, I have made it a habit to - when I have the opportunity to be around domesticated rats - to be near them or even handle them, although I'll admit that I can't do it for more than a few seconds and wild rats still scare the hell out of me. I think there are lots of people that deal with their fears this way, by facing them.
    sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
      Aside from being claustrophobic, I'm scared to death of rats and, although I definitely don't have to handle rats or be around them in my life, I have made it a habit to - when I have the opportunity to be around domesticated rats - to be near them or even handle them, although I'll admit that I can't do it for more than a few seconds and wild rats still scare the hell out of me. I think there are lots of people that deal with their fears this way, by facing them.
      I was afraid of heights (as in I got dizzy and stuff). When I was in ninth grade, our teacher took our class to an amusement park. I decided to grab by bull by the horns and rode all of the rides that involve heights. Now I'm barely affected by heights.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
        You actually can be a little claustrophobic. It's not black and white. You can deal with a cave, or squeezing through part of a ceiling, but would freak if made to crawl through concrete tunnel under road. Just like heights. You can freak out over heights, say, on a ladder, but have no problem being that high and looking out a window.
        One of the ladies i know who got med discharged from the navy had a light form of claustrophobia. What was strange with hers, is as long as their was lighting, it would not kick in, but if there was not much light (ie like the entrance of that tunnel system seemed to be like) it would kick in. Perhaps he is like that, as long as he has light he is ok.

Comment

I think the fact that Greer was for the most part mute after the cave collapse says it all about his claustrophobia.

Then again that may be just an example of the writers underusing him.

Comment

Originally posted by JustAnotherVoice View Post
            It really is about time that they added more depth to the supporting characters. I'm surprised they've been slow slow with Greer's character development, tbh. Wray seems to have much more depth, despsite Ming Na being credited as a guest for most of the first half of the season.

Two dimensional characters in an ensemble cast is a quick way to get the actor demoted to guest spots and eventually being written out (I hope I don't have to remind anyone of Ford).
            Thank you. Glad someone else noticed and voiced that opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by JustAnotherVoice View Post
              It really is about time that they added more depth to the supporting characters. I'm surprised they've been slow slow with Greer's character development, tbh. Wray seems to have much more depth, despsite Ming Na being credited as a guest for most of the first half of the season.

Two dimensional characters in an ensemble cast is a quick way to get the actor demoted to guest spots and eventually being written out (I hope I don't have to remind anyone of Ford).
              You know the saddest thing.

Truthfully.

Greer has had more character moments in half a season that help define him then poor Ford did in the one and a half seasons on Atlantis.

We know that Greer is loyal. Practical, thoughtfull in the face of death. His father abused him, he is claustrophobic and had a less the perfect upbringing. He will choose the Military family over all else and he has no hesitation on using violence but doesn't use it at a drop at a hat as feared.

Poor Ford. Cheerfull, loved his grandmother ( I think) , had a nice cap.

Comment

Working...
              X