Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What direction will the "redemption" of Rush's character in Human take the show?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What direction will the "redemption" of Rush's character in Human take the show?

I thought Human was an excellent episode. Presenting Rush's backstory as a lucid dream state was extremely creative; it gave us a window into the source of his behavior. The death of his wife left him deeply traumatized but instead of working through his feeling of hurt, bitterness and anger he buried them. He became obsessed with his work and began to blame others for his feelings. As time passed he withdrew further and further from humanity, becoming increasingly callous to everyone around him. His sub conscious mind/ship's computer recognized the only path to healing for him was to face these feelings and work through them. Through his lucid dream he was returned to the time of his wife’s death. His obsession with finding the solution to his access code problem was used as motivation to compel a reluctant Rush to again spend time with his dying wife. At first he refused to do so, but he soon realized that the only way he was ever going to be given the answer was to relive her death. As he talked to her his conscience buried since her death, painfully reasserted itself and he realized that the person he had cared for and respected the most in his life would not approve of the man he had become. The realization of this insight released the clue he had so desperately been seeking - the access code’s connection to the Ancients’ genetic sequence. His deep abiding love for his wife gave him the courage to face and move past the malignant feelings that were poisoning his life.

Rush risked his life to sit in the chair. Even though he took steps to limit the risk it still was very dangerous. Look what happened to Franklin. In the prior episode Rush risked his life to save Chloe and he did it again in the chair and he nearly died from the experience. Remember his nose bleed and the progressive deterioration of his vital signs near the end. Reliving his wife’s death was a very painful emotional event which required a great deal of courage. He also successfully retrieved the clue to Destiny’s computer access code; which when decoded, will be of immense value to everyone on the ship. All of these actions in my mind (and I haven't been a Rush supporter) were redeeming steps in attempting to make up or make amends for all of his past actions.

Robert Carlyle did a good job in this episode. The creative way his lucid dream fashioned by the chair and his own sub consciousness mind guided him from the darkness onto a path towards his redemption and then rewarded him with the answer he was seeking was imo an example of top notch writing.

The moral ambiguity of Rush’s character has been central to the show. It has served as the foundation from which much of the character drama has been built around. I am looking forward expectantly to see what direction his redemption takes his and the other SGU characters in the future.
    Last edited by Blackhole; 26 April 2010, 09:28 AM.

1- He will ask the crew of the Destiny for forgiveness for is actions that lead them to be stuck on the Destiny far from their family and children.

2 - Will ask pardon to Young for having framed him for murder just because of a damn chair.

3 - Will stop the deceptions and do everything in his power to get people back to earth.
    Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
      1- He will ask the crew of the Destiny for forgiveness for is actions that lead them to be stuck on the Destiny far from their family and children.

2 - Will ask pardon to Young for having framed him for murder just because of a damn chair.

3 - Will stop the deceptions and do everything in his power to get people back to earth.
      I don't think his character will make a complete 180 degree turn. To do so would remove too much of the dramatic tension the show is built around.

Comment

Not much. He might be a little less greedy of learning about the Destiny at the cost of risking human livies but not much
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhole View Post
          I don't think his character will make a complete 180 degree turn. To do so would remove too much of the dramatic tension the show is built around.
          Agreed. He'll probably be a bit easier to get along with now, but I don't see him apologizing for much of what he's already done.

Comment

I agree. Having Rush focused on simply getting everyone home seems pretty redundant at this point in time. He STILL has an agenda, whatever it may be. Great he had his flashback...it showed depth that we hadn't seen before, depth that he seemed incapable of having, but he's still Rush.
            I disgust myself sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Targust View Post
              I agree. Having Rush focused on simply getting everyone home seems pretty redundant at this point in time. He STILL has an agenda, whatever it may be. Great he had his flashback...it showed depth that we hadn't seen before, depth that he seemed incapable of having, but he's still Rush.
              Oh yeah. Its much better if he keep up with the same line and behavior. I think there's probably something more about Rush backstory/motivations. Wife dying of cancer is a bit too thin imo.
              Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Originally posted by Targust View Post
                I agree he is still Rush. Imo the whole point of the episode was to present Rush's backstory and to show his redemption.

It seems to me that the first half of the season took Rush, Young and Wray and presented their characters to an extreme. Since the mid season resumption all three characters have been portrayed moving back towards the middle again.

Young expressing regret over his decision to maroon Rush and offering no punitive measures to the civilian coup participants. A much better sense of cooperation with Rush and everyone else under his command.

Wray protecting the lives of Young and Scott at the expense of their coup and standing up for the rights of the civilians to chose to remain on the planet. Reaching out to TJ and Eli.

Rush saving Chloe, Young and Scott's lives. Risking his life in the chair to learn the access code. Expressing remorse to his wife over his callous behaviors.

Since Divided it seems that a sense of much improved cooperation has pervaded the entire ship.

It is possible the show is going to move the central focus of the series away from a conflict with each other and towards an external foe. It follows that this would necessitate moving towards a much more unified and cohesive crew.
                Last edited by Blackhole; 25 April 2010, 08:12 AM.

Comment

I don't think he will be as abrasive as he has been to other people, but I don't see him making any grand gesture or change of motive, I think he still believes his goals are the right ones, he just recognises that he doesn't need to be an arse about it.

Comment

I thought Human was an excellent episode. The way his backstory was presented as a lucid dream state was extremely creative and opened a window into why he behaves the way he does. The death of Rush’s wife left him deeply traumatized; instead of working through his feeling of hurt, bitterness and anger he buried them. He became obsessed with his work and started to blame others for how he felt. As time passed he withdrew from humanity and became increasingly callous to everyone around him. His sub conscious mind/ship's computer recognized that if Rush was ever to heal and move on he was going to have to face these feelings and work through them. Through his lucid dream he was taken back to the time surrounding his wife’s death. His obsession with finding the solution to his access code problem was used as motivation to compel him to reconnect with his wife. At first he refused to do so, but he soon realized that the only way he was ever going to be given the answer was to interact with her. Painfully, as his conscience, buried since her death, resurfaced and reasserted itself, he realized that the person he had cared for and respected the most in his life would not approve of the man he had become. As this insight was reached, he was finally given the clue he was desperately seeking - the access code’s connection to the Ancients’ genetic sequence. Through the love of his wife he was poignantly able to face and then move past those feelings that were undermining who he should be.

Robert Carlyle did a good job in this episode. The way the show used the chair as a means for Rush to achieve "redemption" and was “rewarded” with the answer he was seeking was imo an example of top notch writing.

The moral ambiguity of Rush’s character has been central to the show. It has served as the foundation from which much of the character drama has been built around. I am looking forward expectantly to see what direction his redemption takes his and the other characters in the future.
                    First, lets add that I think what made Rush so angry was that he couldn't have been there for his wife. That she spent her last days of her life, alone. From the dream it seemed like he may or may not have been with her through some of it, but he was avoiding his wife because "thats how it really happened" as he said. But maybe I didn't watch it all correctly.

Anyway, I loved this episode. This is what I think will happen...

Rush will be more kind to everyone, Rush will have a talk with Young, "explain his actions" (from "Darkness" and "Light" I don't think Rush is a character to say sorry) and he and him won't be friends, but work together for the better of the crew.

And I think thats it. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Blistna View Post
                      First, lets add that I think what made Rush so angry was that he couldn't have been there for his wife. That she spent her last days of her life, alone. From the dream it seemed like he may or may not have been with her through some of it, but he was avoiding his wife because "thats how it really happened" as he said. But maybe I didn't watch it all correctly.

Anyway, I loved this episode. This is what I think will happen...

Rush will be more kind to everyone, Rush will have a talk with Young, "explain his actions" (from "Darkness" and "Light" I don't think Rush is a character to say sorry) and he and him won't be friends, but work together for the better of the crew.

And I think thats it. Lol
                      I agree.

I think it likely that Rush was obsessed with his work and didn't spend the time with her that he should have. Once she was gone he probably felt intense guilt. That certainly would have fueled the anger that he later transferred to others.

If you remember when Rush voiced his optimistic several day time frame as to when they will gain the ship's control, Young responded with a barb that it was not like him. To me Rush appeared to have been angered by his comment. It will be interesting to see how he approaches Young if he indeed does so.
                      Last edited by Blackhole; 25 April 2010, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Very true, but i can see him trying to be nicer to others and getting more socially involved

Though i do hope he at least strives to apologize to all for his behavior.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                          Very true, but i can see him trying to be nicer to others and getting more socially involved

Though i do hope he at least strives to apologize to all for his behavior.
                          I agree, I think that is likely. I also hope he apologizes for some of his actions. It would go a long way to improve his general relations.

Comment

I agree he is still Rush. Imo the whole point of the episode was to present Rush’s backstory and to show his redemption.
                            Could be. If there is any redemption for him, I have to wonder if its going to be later on, wounds are still to fresh at this time to pat him on the back and say "We understand where you're coming from, no offense taken."

I have a feeling
                            Spoiler:
                            ...that as time goes on and more of the reason behind the attack of the Icarus Base, Rush isn't going to be the one we're all totally disgusted with.
                            I disgust myself sometimes.

Comment

Personally, I don't see Rush changing that much. We may see some improvement in his behavior, but not that much.
                              sigpic
                              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                              "...phu...ah..."
                              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Working...
                              X