Rush - What is he really after?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
    He says he was there when she died. What do you have that's different to that?
    I misinterpreted the final hospital scene and missed the "I was here" part. I thought that Rush was trying to make up for not being there. Trying to maybe change his memory of events. It came from the "I've already been through this", "No you haven't" comments. (Which I guess in a way says that even though Rush was there with Gloria when she died, he really wasn't there. Another sentiment that I can totally understand.)

Comment

I think he wants Life the Universe and Everything, and 46 is his 42, He won't be satisfied till he gets to control the Destiny and know all of it's secrets.
      no means no, and so does pepper spray
      Sig by The Carpenter
      sigpic

Comment

Rush is looking for answers , why did gloria have to die whereas he was not there, what are the secrets of Destiny, he's in for a very very long quest for Knowledge.
        sigpic

Comment

You have to remember that some people aren't very good at showing emotions, especially if they've grown up in a family in which they've been told that showing emotion is a sign of weakness, especially for boys - stiff upper lip and all that.

Rush's Machiavellian approach to life didn't just happen overnight. It's probably a process he developed as a means of emotional self-defense. Purge the subjective; focus on the objective. He loves Gloria, but Gloria is dying. What can he do to prevent her death? Nothing, so he buries himself in the one thing that he can focus on with reasonably positive results: his work on the Icarus project. Gloria recognizes this and at the dinner table "gives her permission" so to speak for him to go on with his work.

Also, the images we're seeing aren't necessarily the way it really happened. My impression is that Rush did spend time with his wife (going for walks, sitting in the park), but maybe not as much as he knows he should have. In the dream sequence, he foregoes the chit chat and hand holding because doing so would be ineffective, a waste of time, a distraction that would take him away from his whole purpose for being there, which is to discover the code for unlocking Destiny. He tells Jackson this when he reiterates that everything around him isn't real.

What is Rush after? Access to Destiny. What wonders of the universe does she have to share with him? I think when Jackson first approached him about joining the Icarus project, it was the challenge of breaking the code that appealed to him. To have Eli do it instead hurt his professional pride. I'm amazed that he's as nice to Eli as he is.

Now that the mystery of the ninth chevron has been broken, his new purpose in life is to explore Destiny and the first step is finding the key to opening her. He seems to have a symbiotic relationship with her. When the refugees arrived aboard Destiny, he was the first to touch her consoles. Since then, it's almost as though she's aware of what he needs and wants. Did she know he'd been captured by the aliens? Did she deliberately drop out of FTL so he could be found and rescued? Quite the coincidence, isn't it? And rather a curiousity that, through the chair, she chooses to access the part of his brain that holds the memories of his wife and troubles his heart.

As for Rush's relationship with Chloe, yes, he is quite gentle with her, moreso now that they've had a shared, traumatic experience as captives. However, from the beginning he has been softer with the women on board. Recall the scenes with TJ when she's at his bedside after his collapse, with Chloe after her father's death, with Ming Na's character when he asks for more control of his science team, and with Park when he first groups her with Brody and Walker. Sure, they're manipulative at times, but his approach with females is far less antagonistic than when he's dealing with Young, Greer, or even Volker.
          sigpic

Comment

i am pretty sure he has his own agenda , and that he does not care who he has to go threw to get it , even if it mean other peoples lives
            sigpic
            May the odds be ever in your Favor ! oh and please say hello to me on Skype and Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by kansaikimono View Post
              You have to remember that some people aren't very good at showing emotions, especially if they've grown up in a family in which they've been told that showing emotion is a sign of weakness, especially for boys - stiff upper lip and all that.

Rush's Machiavellian approach to life didn't just happen overnight. It's probably a process he developed as a means of emotional self-defense. Purge the subjective; focus on the objective. He loves Gloria, but Gloria is dying. What can he do to prevent her death? Nothing, so he buries himself in the one thing that he can focus on with reasonably positive results: his work on the Icarus project. Gloria recognizes this and at the dinner table "gives her permission" so to speak for him to go on with his work.

Also, the images we're seeing aren't necessarily the way it really happened. My impression is that Rush did spend time with his wife (going for walks, sitting in the park), but maybe not as much as he knows he should have. In the dream sequence, he foregoes the chit chat and hand holding because doing so would be ineffective, a waste of time, a distraction that would take him away from his whole purpose for being there, which is to discover the code for unlocking Destiny. He tells Jackson this when he reiterates that everything around him isn't real.

What is Rush after? Access to Destiny. What wonders of the universe does she have to share with him? I think when Jackson first approached him about joining the Icarus project, it was the challenge of breaking the code that appealed to him. To have Eli do it instead hurt his professional pride. I'm amazed that he's as nice to Eli as he is.

Now that the mystery of the ninth chevron has been broken, his new purpose in life is to explore Destiny and the first step is finding the key to opening her. He seems to have a symbiotic relationship with her. When the refugees arrived aboard Destiny, he was the first to touch her consoles. Since then, it's almost as though she's aware of what he needs and wants. Did she know he'd been captured by the aliens? Did she deliberately drop out of FTL so he could be found and rescued? Quite the coincidence, isn't it? And rather a curiousity that, through the chair, she chooses to access the part of his brain that holds the memories of his wife and troubles his heart.

As for Rush's relationship with Chloe, yes, he is quite gentle with her, moreso now that they've had a shared, traumatic experience as captives. However, from the beginning he has been softer with the women on board. Recall the scenes with TJ when she's at his bedside after his collapse, with Chloe after her father's death, with Ming Na's character when he asks for more control of his science team, and with Park when he first groups her with Brody and Walker. Sure, they're manipulative at times, but his approach with females is far less antagonistic than when he's dealing with Young, Greer, or even Volker.
              Interesting idea that the ship may have a personal connection to Rush. From the ship's perspective it has been waiting a long time for Destiny's crew to input the master code sequence. The delay could also tend to suggest to "her" that they are interlopers. Or maybe since the ship has waited for ages for a crew to return she is lonely and has given him a hint to the code so Rush would be able to communicate directly with her. It would make for an interesting plot line for Destiny to be a semi-sentient ship.

Comment

And with a female mentality as well.. Who'da thunk it. Rush has a ship with a crush on him!

Comment

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
                  Except he knew it was a dream. I think what people have to remember is in the conversations he has in Human, he's essentially talking to himself. Gloria doesn't say he's callous, he's telling himself he's been callous. He says to Jackson at the beginning he doesn't want to go through it again (or words to that effect). It's very clear that he loved her very much.
                  Most definetly this for sure.

If the lighting wasn't so crappy in Human we would have been able to see the expression on Rushs' face when he holds his wifes hand when they are having a meal, its bearly viewable but you can see just enough to know that he is very emotional at that point.

Bearing in mind that he knew it wasn't real I think it only goes to prove how much he cares for her and has a lot of regret.

Comment

Originally posted by Sami_ View Post
                    Most definetly this for sure.

If the lighting wasn't so crappy in Human we would have been able to see the expression on Rushs' face when he holds his wifes hand when they are having a meal, its bearly viewable but you can see just enough to know that he is very emotional at that point.

Bearing in mind that he knew it wasn't real I think it only goes to prove how much he cares for her and has a lot of regret.
                    I actually thought the lighting added rather than detracted but I was able to see his face. I suppose it depends on what you're viewing it on.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Hurin View Post
                      Agreed. I think he wants to unlock its' secrets, sure. He can't do it alone though, even he knows that.

As far as the character goes, some people came away from this episode thinking "the ******! he wasn't with her near enough!" and despising Rush more. I'm the opposite; now we have a reason for him being a broken, miserable man. My hope now is that he's starting to get past it and won't be like this to such a degree as the show goes on.
                      Yes, this is my thinking as well. I've been a supporter of Young but I found his reaction after Rush got out of the chair to be overly suspicious, I was like bloody hell mate he nearly died and didn't even know about the team stuck off world. If Young had seen dreamscape he proberly would have more sympathy for him.

Screw Young go Rush .

Comment

Originally posted by Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble View Post
                        Yes, this is my thinking as well. I've been a supporter of Young but I found his reaction after Rush got out of the chair to be overly suspicious, I was like bloody hell mate he nearly died and didn't even know about the team stuck off world. If Young had seen dreamscape he proberly would have more sympathy for him.

Screw Young go Rush .
                        Young was pretty vile all the way through the episode.

Comment

With the events in tonights ep as he is talking to that scientist lass it makes his delve back in to the past more painful and therefore more powerful.

Comment

Working...
                          X