No announcement yet.

Brown Betty (220)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh come on people, this was pretty funny. I loved the singing corpses, and I had Candy Man stuck in my head the whole week.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
      Oh come on people, this was pretty funny. I loved the singing corpses, and I had Candy Man stuck in my head the whole week.
      I'll give you that...the singing corpses were funny...but the rest was ridiculous!!!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
        I must disagree with you 100 times over. At the very least...this was one of Fringe's worst episode. I'll even be so bold as to say its Fringe's only bad episode.
        Barring singing corpses, I would say this was the worst episode.
        sigpic

Comment

I am most definitely in the great minority here.
          I loved it. The music especially.
          It's quirky and humorous. Loved the use of the hard boiled genre. Reminded me of some of those Next Gen eps that revolved around that period.
          Singing corpses were a great touch.

Anna Torv is no Bogey but I take what I can get.
          sigpic
          "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Well I thought this was a fantastic interlude between last week's serious cliffhanger and what is to come. Light-hearted and quirky, this episode works well on so many levels, and the allegory... rich and wholesome.

My favourite parts were Lt. Broyles piano solo, Jean's dotty makeover, Prof Bishop's book of dreams, and the 'Watcher' fight scene (which reminded me a little of the Agent Smiths en masse attack on Neo in "The Matrix Reloaded"). Walter's Tears for Fears karaoke was also priceless! That Torv's melody wasn't birdsong didn't bother me in the slightest, as I was more focused on Olivia's obvious sadness at Peter's death.

You all complain that it was over the top and out of touch with the style of the show. I say they should have gone even more extreme and really played the stylised film noir theme.

Maybe you have to be in the right frame of mind to enjoy an episode like "Brown Betty", but either way, I adored it!
            sigpic

Comment

Well this episode was.......Interesting? Unique? Bizarre? hmm not sure how to sum it up

But the singing corpses sure made up for the rest of the ep
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
                Well this episode was.......Interesting? Unique? Bizarre? hmm not sure how to sum it up

But the singing corpses sure made up for the rest of the ep
                I can sum it up..."Caca"
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                  I can sum it up..."Caca"
                  *nods head*
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
                    *nods head*
                    But you are right about the singing corpses! Reminded me of those "Wally The Big Mouth Bass" things...
                    sigpic

Comment

I've been blitzing through Fringe as of late, and declined to comment on every episode's thread for fear of pestering up this subforum with my overly positive opinions, but I said to myself that I would just read the threads' comments and maybe post in the finale one.

Until Brown Betty. Wow, a lot of you kids did not like this one at all! Seriously? I guess tastes are different but this one has secured a spot in my top episodes of Fringe so far (Though maybe in a different category... Sort-of a "Best 'Strange' Episode") because of a combination of things:

- First off, the fact that it's a break from the main storyline while keeping the character stuff very very strong. I've gotten to know these crazy characters, and am quite invested in both Walter and Olivia's interest in Peter in different ways. Not only that, Astrid being there is always a comforting experience - she's a good grounding character now that Charlie's kaput.

- Seconably, the comedy. Aside from laughing at the whole thing (As elaborated on below), there was just a very refreshing comic effect to this episode. SINGING CORPSES, of course. The Ella/Walter/Astrid banter (Especially about Ella noting that she'd "rather learn some algebra instead" and Astrid's "Boy, what those kids must've done to you...). Just the cutaway of Ella and Walter feeding Gene, the entirety of the William Bell/Nina stuff ("Get back to you, my love.")

- Thirdly, the noir/the whole story. Something as simple as the changed hairstyles and such (Anna Torv - foxy as always), the atmosphere (And the cinematography, with the brown filter!), the random bursts into song - oh man, as a noir fan with a slight interest in the occasional musical, wow this episode was a treat. Even further, how it went about putting the elements of Fringe together into a self-referential little story (Nina, Bell, The Observers, The alien probe from season 1, Rachel) that had emotional resonance! And yes, because of my love for noir, the smile on my face stayed true the entire time.

And finally, the emotional resonance. Walter screws up and Peter takes his heart away. That the heart was made of glass was a nice symbol of the fragile nature of their dynamic - glass is very easily broken, as are hearts. Not only the Walter/Peter stuff - Walter's telling of the story had his interpretation of how Peter and Olivia connect and all that mushy jazz, and he's pretty damn right. We see in the "Brown Betty" world how bad she feels at Peter's almost death, and that bookends brilliantly with her look of defeat at the end of the episode when she tells Walter there's been no sign of Peter at all.

All in all, it's an episode like this that, while not something really important to the overall story, plays awesome with the established Fringe nature and turns it upside down while keeping the characters, as in - the people that drive the show, emotionally consistent and awesomely awesome.

SINGING CORPSES, dammit!
                      ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

This episode was ok when you think it came from a high Walter's point of view, but i gotta say this episode was really fluffy , it kind of reminded me of once more with feeling only not as good

Singing Corpses oh and ester Ficklesworth the look on Astrid's face
                        Last edited by mr_kennedy; 10 July 2010, 12:52 AM.
                        Last Movie Watched
                        X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
                        Life is Strange

Comment

Originally posted by mr_kennedy View Post
                          This episode was ok when you think it came from a high Walter's point of view, but i gotta say this episode was really fluffy , it kind of reminded me of once more with feeling only not as good

Singing Corpses oh and ester Ficklesworth the look on Astrid's face
                          Yes...and scary things go on in Walter's head!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
                            I've been blitzing through Fringe as of late, and declined to comment on every episode's thread for fear of pestering up this subforum with my overly positive opinions, but I said to myself that I would just read the threads' comments and maybe post in the finale one.

Until Brown Betty. Wow, a lot of you kids did not like this one at all! Seriously? I guess tastes are different but this one has secured a spot in my top episodes of Fringe so far (Though maybe in a different category... Sort-of a "Best 'Strange' Episode") because of a combination of things:

- First off, the fact that it's a break from the main storyline while keeping the character stuff very very strong. I've gotten to know these crazy characters, and am quite invested in both Walter and Olivia's interest in Peter in different ways. Not only that, Astrid being there is always a comforting experience - she's a good grounding character now that Charlie's kaput.

- Seconably, the comedy. Aside from laughing at the whole thing (As elaborated on below), there was just a very refreshing comic effect to this episode. SINGING CORPSES, of course. The Ella/Walter/Astrid banter (Especially about Ella noting that she'd "rather learn some algebra instead" and Astrid's "Boy, what those kids must've done to you...). Just the cutaway of Ella and Walter feeding Gene, the entirety of the William Bell/Nina stuff ("Get back to you, my love.")

- Thirdly, the noir/the whole story. Something as simple as the changed hairstyles and such (Anna Torv - foxy as always), the atmosphere (And the cinematography, with the brown filter!), the random bursts into song - oh man, as a noir fan with a slight interest in the occasional musical, wow this episode was a treat. Even further, how it went about putting the elements of Fringe together into a self-referential little story (Nina, Bell, The Observers, The alien probe from season 1, Rachel) that had emotional resonance! And yes, because of my love for noir, the smile on my face stayed true the entire time.

And finally, the emotional resonance. Walter screws up and Peter takes his heart away. That the heart was made of glass was a nice symbol of the fragile nature of their dynamic - glass is very easily broken, as are hearts. Not only the Walter/Peter stuff - Walter's telling of the story had his interpretation of how Peter and Olivia connect and all that mushy jazz, and he's pretty damn right. We see in the "Brown Betty" world how bad she feels at Peter's almost death, and that bookends brilliantly with her look of defeat at the end of the episode when she tells Walter there's been no sign of Peter at all.

All in all, it's an episode like this that, while not something really important to the overall story, plays awesome with the established Fringe nature and turns it upside down while keeping the characters, as in - the people that drive the show, emotionally consistent and awesomely awesome.

SINGING CORPSES, dammit!
                            Exactly. I only first saw this in 2020 I think, but it is utterly marvellous in every sense of the word
                            "Welcome to the Good place"

Let's save the planet, it's the only one we have.

Comment

Working...
                            X