"Star Wars: The Old Republic" Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Star Wars: The Old Republic" Discussion Thread

I don't ever play MMOs....seriously. I like my Warcraft to be single-player RTS, thank you very much. And I don't much care for trying any of the others on the market (and certainly not after the Warhammer Online incident).

But hooooollllllllllllyyyyyyyyyy crap am I ever looking forward to The Old Republic. Everything BioWare touches is gold, and this is their second Star Wars outing--their first being the brilliant freaking Knights of the Old Republic. Is anyone else looking forward to this as much as I am?

The website has a series of background videos of the period leading up to The Old Republic that they release every so often (up to 7 of them now), narrated by Master Gnost-Dural (Lance Hendrikson!)

Classes consist of:
    Trooper (Republic)
    Smuggler (Republic)
    Jedi Knight (Republic)
    Jedi Consular (Republic)
    Imperial Agent (Sith Empire)
    Bounty Hunter (Sith Empire)
    Sith Warrior (Sith Empire)
    Sith Inquisitor (Sith Empire)

Confirmed planets so far are:
    Tython
    Korriban
    Nal Hutta
    Ord Mantell
    Coruscant
    Balmorra
    Alderaan
    Tatooine
    Dromund Kaas
    Taris (ruins)
    Belsavis (galactic prison planet)
    Voss
    Hoth

I know we've talked about this before in the 'everything' thread, but now that we can have our own thread....
    Last edited by DigiFluid; 23 May 2010, 10:04 AM.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

I've been excited about this game for a while. I have never paid a monthly fee to play MMORPGs before (I usually play the free ones) but I think I'd be willing to actually dish out the money for this one.
    sigpic

Comment

I have played EVE....

And I am really looking forward to playing this game. It looks awesome and something to be psyched out about. Depending on how you advance and what is the leveling system and things like that. That is pretty much my biggest concern, but the rest of it looks quite awesome.

Comment

As interested as I am, the graphics still make me cringe... but I can overlook that if it's as amazing as it looks it's gonna be.
        Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
        Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

The visuals look pretty solid to me. Check out the screenshots of the classes. They look really good.

It's the website that's kind of....Emperor's New Groove meets The Clone Wars.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

This is really nice, a 5 minute feature on the developers' return to Taris. Lots of great stills and video of that tragic world we'll be returning to

The Coruscant Revealed video is pretty fantastic too.

God, I can't wait for this game!

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
              The visuals look pretty solid to me. Check out the screenshots of the classes. They look really good.

It's the website that's kind of....Emperor's New Groove meets The Clone Wars.
              I've been following it for months, I just don't like it. I prefer photorealism to stylized is all. I know this will make it more accessible across many machines, but it still stinks having a rig you know can handle practically anything but not be able to unleash its capabilities on the games you really want.
              Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
              Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Everything has to be photorealistic these days, I find it a breath of fresh air when companies try something different

Besides, it's really not that stylized.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                  Everything has to be photorealistic these days, I find it a breath of fresh air when companies try something different

Besides, it's really not that stylized.
                  The lightsaber hilts are too bulky... it bothers the heck out of me xD

Comment

LOL

Well, regardless of that.... With a spring 2011 release date, I think we can safely bet that TOR will tax both of our PCs

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                      the better to beat you over the head with

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                        That's a good thing though. I didn't like how KOTOR and Episode IV had the same level of technology. 4,000 years and little development. Even when Episode I to III came out, things got all nice and shiney, but still, not much difference. Giving the lightsabers a more dated look is better. Now all we need is for them to need charging or a power pack around the waist.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                          That's a good thing though. I didn't like how KOTOR and Episode IV had the same level of technology. 4,000 years and little development. Even when Episode I to III came out, things got all nice and shiney, but still, not much difference. Giving the lightsabers a more dated look is better. Now all we need is for them to need charging or a power pack around the waist.
                          But according to SW lore, they shouldn't be bulky. The power-pack lightsabers are ancient relics even by KotOR standards. It just bothers me, I don't know.

Comment

Today's video diary: combat mechanics. And the sabers are not as bulky as s09 would have you believe

Also released today: Blood of the Empire, Issue #1

Comment

Originally posted by digifluid View Post
                              today's video diary: combat mechanics. And the sabers are not as bulky as s09 would have you believe

also released today: blood of the empire, issue #1
                              They made them smaller! Yes!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X