Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Default Re: "Star Wars: The Old Republic" Discussion Thread

Yea, that was pretty much made of awesome.

I doubt I'll play this one though. Not a fan of MMORPG's in general. Will read the novels.

Thanks to jumble, Krissie678, & Pic for the awesome sigs!

Quote Originally Posted by DuncTK421 View Post
    Yea, that was pretty much made of awesome.

I doubt I'll play this one though. Not a fan of MMORPG's in general. Will read the novels.

*SLAP*

Spoiler:
    I'm generally not big on MMOs either. But this is a must play!
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

IGN has also published a feature on a quick smuggler run-through, with a video:
    http://pc.ign.com/articles/109/1096845p1.html

An excerpt:
    Of course, it would be pretty boring to have an entire galaxy packed with a handful of similar ships. To combat this, BioWare has created a robust customization package so that you can fully trick out your ship with premade gear sets or your own hand-picked items. Though BioWare isn't showing off the ships in action just yet, they assure us that there will be thousands of different variations so that each person can feel as if they have a unique vessel.

That same level of customization is also given to your character in the form of various PvP gear. Though you start out pretty basic in terms of gear, by completing PvP challenges (which BioWare isn't discussing yet), you earn new goods. Some of this stuff is cosmetic, some is highly functional and all of it seems to change based on class and race. In the example BioWare showed off, one bad ass ended up with a jetpack and devilish armor that made him look like Boba Fett spawned from Hell. In other words, you can build up your character to look more awesome than anything the Star Wars universe has seen before.

BioWare continues to insist that Old Republic can be played as a single-player game if you are the type who likes buying Massively Multiplayer games for the express purpose of not playing them correctly. However, the PvP rewards system is meant as encouragement for engaging with other players as often as possible. There will be other ways to earn gear, but it sounds like the quickest way to maximizing your get-up is by teaming up with other players (or shooting them in the face).
    Last edited by DigiFluid; June 14th, 2010 at 09:18 PM.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Gotta love how they make these elaborate trailers for games that look and play NOTHING like what they're advertising

Major

Yes... There was no in-game footage whatsoever. What was the purpose of that trailer, besides getting you pumped up to buy the game?

And was that one Sith wearing a Revan Mask?
    Mia: Don't you hate that?
    Vincent: Hate what?
    Mia: Uncomfortable silences. Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?
    Vincent: I don't know. That's a good question.
    Mia: That's when you know you've found somebody really special: you can just shut the f*** up for a minute and comfortably share silence.
    - Pulp Fiction

Quote Originally Posted by TBA View Post
    And was that one Sith wearing a Revan Mask?
    I thought the exact same thing. A quick check on the Wook says it's a Mandalorian mask Revan was wearing. So, it's entirely possible in the 300 years between Revan's time and TOR that some Sith picked up the style.

Thanks to jumble, Krissie678, & Pic for the awesome sigs!

Major

Don't know if it's been posted yet, but there are a couple of gameplay videos from the alpha on the tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7WHHQokRGs

Looking solid so far
    Mia: Uncomfortable silences. Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?
    Mia: That's when you know you've found somebody really special: you can just shut the f*** up for a minute and comfortably share silence.
    - Pulp Fiction

Solid is one way to put it

Major

And the other way?
    - Pulp Fiction

Yesterday G4 did some pretty good coverage of TOR, complete with in-game video (including combat!) and a video giving some more information on player starships.

http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20100614_001
    Last edited by DigiFluid; June 16th, 2010 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Same video lol

Oh how I miss adam sessler

I LOVE the idea of having your own damn ship !

Genius !

Brigadier General

I saw the new trailer titled "hope" and man I thought it was cool. I mean the republic kicked butt and I thought this trailer was a lot lighter than the "decieved" trailer which was alot darker.

Quote Originally Posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
    I saw the new trailer titled "hope" and man I thought it was cool. I mean the republic kicked butt and I thought this trailer was a lot lighter than the "decieved" trailer which was alot darker.
    I thought that was the point, personally. Cinematic trailers showing a victory for each side.

Both were awesome

Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    I thought that was the point, personally. Cinematic trailers showing a victory for each side.

Both were awesome
    I found it a little hard to believe that the clone troops could do so much damage to the sith though. In that trailer anyways.

Brigadier General

I hope they do one more cinematic trailer and title it like "destiny" or something and it has all of the classes republic troops, Jedi, smuggler (scoundrel), sith, imperial agent and bounty hunter in and it shows like the end of the war.

First Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Wake View Post
    I found it a little hard to believe that the clone troops could do so much damage to the sith though. In that trailer anyways.
    their not clones this is millenia before all that, they just have very similar armour

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Wake View Post
    That's what stood out to me the most in the trailer. They look like they were taken straight from Revenge Of The Sith.

The game looks great, but I doubt I'll get it. I'm still traumatized from SWG and not interested in paying $15 a month to play a game.

I just read an IGN article on the impressions from the E3 demo and it was a bit deflating. The combat is apparently a big laggy and not as immersive as BioWare is claiming. The biggest gripe was that you just don't feel like a Jedi, you feel like a cartoony dude with a big light stick.
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

The Jedi are cartoony dudes with big glow-bats.

I can imagine, when the game is launched, seeing the servers loaded with Sith and Jedi running around and one or two bounty hunters standing in the middle *****ing about how Jedi need to be nerfed.

Forgot to continue posting the E3 stuff!

First of all, armour. BioWare posted a video demonstrating one possible path of the armour progression of a Bounty Hunter as you level up.

They also announced a couple of playable species: the Ratattaki as Bounty Hunters, Chiss as an Imperial Agent, and Twi'lek as a Smuggler. Screenshot 1, Screenshot 2

The last bit of news we got were that there will be specific War Zones, which "are specifically tailored for team versus team combat, and players will experience fierce battles between the Republic and Empire". They also announced that one of the War Zone areas will be in the mountains of Alderaan.

Full text here