• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Victory of the Daleks (3103/503)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO SERIES 31
    VICTORY OF THE DALEKS
    EPISODE NUMBER - 3103 (503)

Summoned to World War II London by Winston Churchill, the Doctor discovers Daleks fighting on the side of the Allies -- certain they have a hidden agenda that could spell destruction for the Earth.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 10 April 2011, 03:59 PM.

My apologies to everyone who has posted in this thread this week. I inadvertently deleted it while attempting a merge.

I'll see if Greg can recover the thread when he's back online tomorrow. Till then, please continue the conversation here!
    GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
      My apologies to everyone who has posted in this thread this week. I inadvertently deleted it while attempting a merge.

I'll see if Greg can recover the thread when he's back online tomorrow. Till then, please continue the conversation here!
      CURSE YOU DARREN!!!!!

Cheers though.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

As somebody in the old thread said (before Darren deleted it...!), this would have been better as a two part episode.

I think one of the big problems is just how fast the episode moves, the intuitive leaps and how quickly Bracewell manages to turn what had previously been just an idea on paper into actual outer-space Spitfires. It's apparently only a couple of minutes because it's hard to imagine the Doctor just stood chatting with the Daleks for a few hours and London remained lit up while Bracewell single handedly - literally - retrofitted three Spitfires with gravity bubbles, hypersonic flight...thingies and energy weapons. I know, I know, I'm overthinking this, but it's too hard to accept for me.

The Independence Day homage during the Spacefire attack is too heavy handed for me (even the music sounds very similar, though since David Arnold and Murray Gold are apparently best buds that isn't surprising) but I enjoyed the idea of "Spitfires in Spaaaaace" and also Spitfires vs Daleks.

Ian McNeice's Churchill grates, I think.

I liked some of the lines though. The Doctor to the Dalek Supreme/Supreme Dalek: "There isn't a sincere bone in your body...there isn't a bone in your body" and "Alright, it's a Jammy Dodger - but I was promised tea!"

Still don't like the new Daleks much. Had they all looked like the first one, i.e. white and black, I could have got used to them. I just don't see why the most evil, destructive, warmongering race in the history of the universe, responsible for devastation on an unprecedented scale and the cause of chilling nightmares (both fictional and real), need cheery happy bright primary coloured battle armour. Seriously, the Khaki Daleks looked tonnes better.

Well, not quite as bad as I first thought, but not much better.
        Last edited by Sealurk; 20 April 2010, 01:53 PM.
        And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
        sigpic
        Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

I just found the episode had a frantic and rushed quality. I didn't like the "Broadsword calling Danny boy" homage to "Where Eagles Dare", I didn't like the new oversized dayglo coloured Daleks, and the whole story had a "Boys Own Favourite" feel that just plain annoyed me after a time.
          sigpic

Comment

I loved it. A fitting end to the RTD era Daleks, and the best episode featuring them other than Dalek itself. I'm also expecting them not to turn up for a couple of seasons at least while they have their rebuild and if that's the case I think it's a fitting way of closing the book on the massive oversaturation of Dalek stories we've had in recent years.

Loved the "Would you like a cup of tea."

Was deeply worried about the "have you ever fancied someone you shouldn't," I liked Rose and Martha but I would be very annoyed if Amy also turned out to fancy him.

Comment

Does anyone know where I can find the Doctor Who audio programs that were supposed to fill the gap between the seasons.

Comment

Honestly, compared to the first two episodes this was disappointing. But I still enjoyed, I don't like the new Daleks too much. But I'm not the biggest fan of the Daleks anyways. I really enjoyed the actor who played Churchill.

Comment

Brilliant story from Mark Gatiss! Really enjoyable with some great performances from the cast and especially from Matt and Karen as always who just give 110% as the Doctor and Amy!

LOVE the new Daleks! Wow oh wow! They look awesome! They just look so big which makes them more domineering and intimidating and strong! For some reason I think the Daleks look even more alien than before! There's something odd about them and I mean that in a good way. Also they're not quite so workshop machined and bolted as the 2005 - 2010 Daleks were. The new Daleks give the impression of being constructed and held together by alien technology and techniques. I can't wait to see them again! I'm also liking the departmental colours! I've always wanted to see Daleks of different colours instead of just one colour for all the Daleks and one colour for the leader! And a blue Dalek! For some reason I have always wanted a blue Dalek ever since seeing an early 1990's issue of DWM featuring one photographed alongside Tom Baker! When I was younger I was always under the impression that the blue Dalek on that DWM cover had appeared in Destiny of the Daleks because at the time it was the one Dalek story I hadn't seen and I remember being a wee bit disappointed when I finally saw the story on VHS and there wasn't one. It's taken years...BUT THERE'S A BLUE DALEK!

The 11th Doctor has certainly proved his mettle in his first encounter up against the Daleks! He stood up to them extremely well and his Jammie Dodger bluff...inspired! Here's to the first of hopefully many, many more encounters between them!

Questions need answering though -
                  1. What is it with that glowing crack in space/time?

2. Why is the space/time crack following the Doctor and Amy?

3. Why doesn't Amy remember the Dalek invasion of Earth in 2009?

Looking forward to the answers in the stories to come!

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                  K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

I happened to come across this promo pic and was intrigued to find out the names/function of each of the Daleks in the comments when I uploaded it.

Spoiler:

Apparently they are
                    TX: BBC One Saturday 17th April Picture shows: The Daleks (l-r RED DRONE, ORANGE SCIENTIST, WHITE SUPREME, BLUE STRATEGIST and YELLOW ETERNAL) and the Doctor (MATT SMITH).

Comment

Giving each colour a specific function is an interesting idea, but I still expect each of them to connect up and turn into a Dalek Zord.

Or

Orange: Earth
                      White:Wind
                      Red: Fire
                      Blue:Water
                      Yellow: Heart

Go Dalek! By your powers combined, I am Captain Dalek. "captain dalek, he's a hero. gonna take humanity down to zero."

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                        Giving each colour a specific function is an interesting idea, but I still expect each of them to connect up and turn into a Dalek Zord.

Or

Orange: Earth
                        White:Wind
                        Red: Fire
                        Blue:Water
                        Yellow: Heart

Go Dalek! By your powers combined, I am Captain Dalek. "captain dalek, he's a hero. gonna take humanity down to zero."
                        Oh how horrifically funny that would be. Nice work on the little jingle there - definitely green-worthy.

I do actually like the idea of dalek differentiation, but the design of the new battle armour/travel machines and their colours just makes me think these guys won't last long.

Thinking about their functions, I can't help but wonder a few things:
                        1) that the "success" of the Cult of Skaro seems to have had an influence on the new paradigm, since we now have differentiation and specific jobs/castes rather than hordes of identical daleks with identical thought patterns, possibly leading to distinct personalities...and names? Could we actually see a true Dalek culture next time as a result?
                        2) what does the Eternal do? Is it immortal, is it concerned directly with the continuation of the Dalek race, or is it just a cool name that Moffat/Gatiss came up with on the spot (Dr Who Confidential seems to suggest the latter)?
                        Last edited by Sealurk; 23 April 2010, 06:39 AM.
                        And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                        sigpic
                        Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

The idea of the different colours denoting different ranks and functions is not new. It was how it used to be, although it kind of fell into disuse.

I found an interesting page on the Doctor Who Site that gives the different ranks and colour schemes.
                          If anybody is interested, have a look HERE.
                          sigpic

Comment

I'm curious.

I was on LJ snagging some gifs & someone made a comment about this one that made me realise that what you see perhaps depends upon which side of the pond you live on (or maybe what age you are )

I see the Doctor giving the 'V for Victory' sign but it appears other people think he's giving a peace sign.

What do you see?

Comment

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
                              I'm curious.

I was on LJ snagging some gifs & someone made a comment about this one that made me realise that what you see perhaps depends upon which side of the pond you live on (or maybe what age you are )

I see the Doctor giving the 'V for Victory' sign but it appears other people think he's giving a peace sign.

What do you see?
                              A failed attempt at bunny ears behind Churchill.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X