FTL vs Hyperdrive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ngewakl View Post
    I have a question? Is it ever mentioned that the destiny's ftl is not utilizing hyperspace?
    Yeah, in Air part 1:
    WALLACE: Jeez! We're on a ship?

RUSH (continuing to gaze out of the window): The design is clearly Ancient, in the truest sense of the word [...]

SCOTT: Doctor Rush?

RUSH: Faster than light, yet not through hyperspace.
    Also it looks completely different from hyperspace we saw in SG1 and Atlantis. It's using some other workaround to get past the cosmic speed limit - c.
    Carter: "The singularity is about to explode!"

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Jansky View Post
      How does the Destiny move through regular space? We know for a fact that is impossible, from Einstein. Even those who think FTL travel is possible acknowledge that it cannot be in the "regular" fashion, that is, moving through normal space at more than c.
      This statement is not necessarily true if youre saying that no ship in the future can travel faster than light through our normal space/time and not utilizing subspace that exists out of our normal space/time then you should read up because one theoretical physicist like 30 years ago after watch star trek actually came up with a mathematical proof and idea that would let a person travel through our space/time faster than light. This is done by expanding space behind the ship and contracting space infront of the starship the contraction behind the ship acts like a wave would on say a floatation device of some form pushing it along at a certain speed and by contracting the space infront of you make it so that the ship never actually is (in its frame of reference) traveling faster than the speed of light its cheating but by our understanding of the universe today it would work.

But in regards to destinys ftl drive i think in some way it would have to use exoctic particles i dont neccesarily know how but i do know that if your using the power of the stars then you have to have a drive that is pretty powerful. Might i also add that this ftl drive may have been an experimental drive we know the ancients came from the ori galaxy in their starship which would have most likely used conventional hyperspace engines to get to earth but who knows maybe they found this method was too inefficent compared to an ftl drive which would be able to be powered by the stars.

remember the bc304 hyperdrive is based of asgard tech and it takes 3 weeks to travel from earth to atlantis and the asuran city ship took a while to make it to lantia from there homeworld which may even be relatively close to the star system that atlantis was orignally based in i dont think that theres any clear evidence to which is better

Comment

Originally posted by Vitharr View Post
        This statement is not necessarily true if youre saying that no ship in the future can travel faster than light through our normal space/time and not utilizing subspace that exists out of our normal space/time then you should read up because one theoretical physicist like 30 years ago after watch star trek actually came up with a mathematical proof and idea that would let a person travel through our space/time faster than light. This is done by expanding space behind the ship and contracting space infront of the starship the contraction behind the ship acts like a wave would on say a floatation device of some form pushing it along at a certain speed and by contracting the space infront of you make it so that the ship never actually is (in its frame of reference) traveling faster than the speed of light its cheating but by our understanding of the universe today it would work.

But in regards to destinys ftl drive i think in some way it would have to use exoctic particles i dont neccesarily know how but i do know that if your using the power of the stars then you have to have a drive that is pretty powerful. Might i also add that this ftl drive may have been an experimental drive we know the ancients came from the ori galaxy in their starship which would have most likely used conventional hyperspace engines to get to earth but who knows maybe they found this method was too inefficent compared to an ftl drive which would be able to be powered by the stars.

remember the bc304 hyperdrive is based of asgard tech and it takes 3 weeks to travel from earth to atlantis and the asuran city ship took a while to make it to lantia from there homeworld which may even be relatively close to the star system that atlantis was orignally based in i dont think that theres any clear evidence to which is better
        An Alcubierre drive

I disagree about that Ancients traveling between the Ori galaxy and the MW. In Avalon PtII Daniel said the Ancients traveled for thousands of years before settling in the MW. If they used FTL this long journey time would make sense. I am not sure but it has been hinted that ships traveling in Hyperspace could do it quicker but not in enough time to be viable hence the supergate.
        "So, what's your impression of Alar?"
        "That he is concealing something."
        "Like what?"
        "I am unsure. He is concealing it."

"Well, according to Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity, there’s nothing in the laws of physics to prevent it. Extremely difficult to achieve, mind you – you need the technology to manipulate black holes to create wormholes not only through points in space but time."
        "Not to mention a really nice DeLorean."
        "Don’t even get me started on that movie!"
        "I liked that movie!"

Comment

Originally posted by Vitharr View Post
          This statement is not necessarily true if youre saying that no ship in the future can travel faster than light through our normal space/time
          [...]
          expanding space behind the ship and contracting space infront of the starship
          [...]
          the ship never actually is (in its frame of reference) traveling faster than the speed of light
          It's not really "normal" if you're stretching the fabric of space behind the ship and shrinking it in front, also it's still not going faster than light within its own region of space. Just a nitpick.
          Carter: "The singularity is about to explode!"

Comment

To Vitthar:

Originally posted by Mike. View Post
            It's not really "normal" if you're stretching the fabric of space behind the ship and shrinking it in front, also it's still not going faster than light within its own region of space. Just a nitpick.
            Yah, that's what I would have said. I am aware of this trick (read it in a magazine in an article on the feasibility of Trek tech long ago), but for one it really is kind of a cheat, and for another the (greatly simplified) text implied that you would have to get the shi within a bubble of some sort within which it was not moving at all, and from the outside the bubble would do what you described. But that's not quite normal space anymore, is it?

Or, perhaps it was a different theory. But it does match your description (decades old, result of a physicist watching Trek, etc.).

Comment

Yah, I read up on the Alcubierre drive on the Wiki, and I'm pretty sure that was it. (Thanks, Control_Chair!) Still, cheating. :-) Also, the requirements of creating the field pretty much take it out of normal space time by many definitions of normal. For one, the region cannot be entered and left by any known means, making it likely the necessary means would not be consistent with remaining in "normal" spacetime during the transition (as we know most "normal" ways to move around, I think).

Comment

Originally posted by Mike. View Post
                you are going faster than light but relative to you in the ship youre not so youre actually never breaking any rules within our normal space/time continuum. and im not having a stab at you or anything here but if you are using this method youre going faster than light still in our space time youre not using wormholes or subspace in which there are no rules pretty much youre still traveling within our universe.

Also to michael jansky i think you sort of have the same article i once read i also have seen it talked about on a tv show and my lecturer and i once had a conversation about this very notion of space travel you wouldnt require a bubble because within the area that has been compressed and expanded the space/time fabric is normal and isnt messed with in anyway. compressing and expanding our space/time isnt actual a ridiculous thing a black hole is responsible for both compressing and expanding objects and the very fabric of our universe granted weird things happen around black holes but space time near a balck hole is still intact and normal in a way.

Comment

Hi I saw that you guys have similar thoughts as I have so in my opinion:
                  hyperdrive is much faster than FTL but it is not suitable for Destiny's mission...in hyperdrive as someone said here you have to know the area you are heading into (you know cause of stars, planets etc....you dont want to jump into planet) and Destiny is traveling through realitively unknown territory so its not so safe, second reason is that in FTL you are not in hyperspace..you are just traveling in normal space (yea according to Einstein you cannot be faster than light but as you said before its using space deformation) and Destiny needs this normal space to scan planets etc if there are still stargates from seed ships and as we know now the Destiny's misson (to learn sth about that secret message from God) Destiny must be still prepared for some unexpected events in space so from hyperspace its not possible to check the ship's ambient or eventually stop and jump out...so these are in my opinion reasons of using FTL insted of HD which seems to be faster but not so effective for Desiny's purpose
                  sigpic

Comment

I know I'm pretty late in this but I'm pretty sure I remember Dr. Rush saying that they were traveling "faster then light, yet not through hyperspace". So I would have to say hyperspace is probably faster than FTL

Comment

Though Hyperspace is faster than FTL I feel like FTL is more reliable, the hyperdrive ships tend to break down a lot more.

Comment

i brought this up in a different thread, but here is my take on FTL vs. HD. Hyperdrives were created to allow quick and fast movements within a relatively small distance within the universe given knowledge of existing star systems, planetary alignment, and gravitational shifts within the same area. FTL is used more for it's economical approach to energy use, grand movements along a larger scope and no knowledge of where anything is, thus the need for the seed ships.

FTL also allows for communications, shields, and possibly weapons(although the weapons have not been tested in FTL), while in hyperspace, only subspace communications are allowed. no shields or weapons can be used. IMHO, the alterans/lanteans/asgard all knew this and used the appropriate drive systems accordingly.
                        Last edited by dr.chrismckay; 18 September 2012, 06:34 PM. Reason: misspelled word
                        An infinite universe contains an equally infinite amount of knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by rgritt View Post
                          Though Hyperspace is faster than FTL I feel like FTL is more reliable, the hyperdrive ships tend to break down a lot more.
                          This seems to be true to some degree, though the ftl drives need to be on or off for a specific amount of time.
                          Last edited by dr.chrismckay; 18 September 2012, 04:49 PM.
                          An infinite universe contains an equally infinite amount of knowledge.

Comment

Working...
                          X