Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Second Lieutenant

Default Wrong people at the wrong place indeed

Am I the only one who's trying to enjoy SGU, but can't get past the (lack of) characters?

Particularily Eli's character and Lt. Scott.
    It's not so much Scott's character that bothers me, as the fact that every time the character opens his mouth, it comes off as stilted or wooden. Sorry, Brian Smith just lacks either the experience or the acting chops to pull off a major character like this, and hopefully he'll become more of a background character in the 2nd season.

And as for Eli, oh boy... Again I find myself totally not buying David Blue's delivery. I can't think of any of the civilian characters that are less convincing than him.
    Not to mention that Elis constant (BAD) jokes and ridiculous nerdy pop-culture references (The writers might think it's chic and hip, but not even the biggest nerds I know shoot off a sci-fi reference every other sentence)
    And what is it about Elis constant whining and fretting about aliens. (Fish out of water and all of that, but wouldn't you think a geeky sci-fi fan aboard a spaceship would be at least a little excited about meeting actual aliens?!?)

I suppose I could get used to both characters, if they came off more convincingly, but they don't. Especially when they're put next to actors like Robert Carlyle and Louis Ferrera. Those two just steal every scene they're in, and are the main reason I'm still watching. Am I the only one who've noticed that the cast seems a little ehm, unbalanced that way?

(OTOH: Some people complain about Chloe, but I don't know why. Yeah, she might be a bit whiny, though she's a pillar of courage next to Eli, lol, but at least she comes off convincingly.)

Default Re: Wrong people at the wrong place indeed

Although the acting isn't the best. My problems with SGU are from it's writing. I have complained here about the constant issues with the ship, which basically took over the first half of the season and wrecked it. SGU is kind of like Star Trek, they are exploring new areas, etc. Only with SGU the storylines aren't strong enough to carry a show that's teetering already. I want to hear less about problems and more about exploring and meeting new aliens, etc. The highest rated episode was the one with the aliens. So if they have to stop and re-write or what they should get it in gear as I'm sure people are abandoning the SGU ship already. So lets hope the writing changes and they make a show that's easier to watch (with less wining and nagging characters) and more interesting to the Sci-Fi watcher.

Second Lieutenant

When Scott is in full on action hero mode, BJS makes it work. His character is supposed to be slightly shakey, isn't he? Fresh out of OCS then hurled across the universe, the character just needs time to find the confidence of Young and Rush, who have 30+ years of experience doing what they do. IMO, the relative inexperience of the actor helps the character, in that his "wooden" delivery actually works for me as his "I'm still trying to figure out what kind of leader I am" command voice when talking to the enlisted, and as his "insecure but trying to be tough" voice around Young and Rush. Afterall, Young was some officer distantly up the command chain before Destiny, and Rush is Rush. You wouldn't be nervous around either?

His flashbacks and scenes on Earth are slightly hammy though >.>

Eli so far for me is the best thing on the show, mainly because I'd be saying all those bad jokes in his place.

Eli is an ubernerd. yes he makes jokes. jokes meant for an audience that's not on the Destiny. he's the most childish simply because he's the youngest. and that makes him interesting

River's Roommate carmencatalina's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HJtravels View Post
    Although the acting isn't the best.
    Yeah, the acting is rather weak. That Carlyle guy, seriously, where did they dig him up? I suppose he is just there to please those of us who find older Scottish guys with longish hair sexy.

Second Lieutenant

Comparing SGU with Trek is like comparing apples and oranges. The show that's closest to SGU is probably DS9 but I doubt it's these people's favourite show... I think they are mostly "Voyager" or "TNG" fans...

I never really cared about the Trek. I've seen a number of episodes, seen some movies. II is definitely the best movie, four and six are good, others, Voyager, some of TNG, Enterprize = crap, the rest of TNG and DS9 = good, TOS only has the sentimental value mostly.

People compare SGU with BSG and SGU loses to BSG at the moment... but BSG was probably, if we talk about the quality of stories, acting etc. top 3 sci-fi show ever. They are trying to do a different thing with SGU, character driven space drama and even if it felt sort of weak in the 1st part of season, in the 2nd part show has, at least for a moment, found its direction. IMO, of course.

As for the characters, I think Young and Rush are very convincing (great job Ferrera and Carlyle), Greer is superb, then I'd say Eli, TJ... I'd agree that Scott and Chloe are not that interesting, maybe Wray at the moment too (haven't seen much from her) but in no way actors are doing a bad job. It's just the others look more interesting and really shine through.

River's Roommate carmencatalina's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dacooker View Post
    They got him at the same place they got everyone else. The actor's classified section in you local newspaper. However Roberts experience in acting, his prestige gives him a big, fat contract. So fat there isn't enough left for decent actors, which is the point HJtravels is trying to explain.
    And, obviously, without smileys to point the way, sarcasm is a lost art on the internet. Le sigh.

Ok, the truth is, I think Carlyle is a brilliant actor, Ming-Na is brilliant, and while I'm less familiar with the rest of the cast, they have been doing a bang-up job.

Lieutenant General Pharaoh Atem's Avatar

i love all the characters now. didn't like the IOA girl at first.

Quote Originally Posted by latvian_stargatefan View Post
    People compare SGU with BSG and SGU loses to BSG at the moment... but BSG was probably, if we talk about the quality of stories, acting etc. top 3 sci-fi show ever. They are trying to do a different thing with SGU, character driven space drama and even if it felt sort of weak in the 1st part of season, in the 2nd part show has, at least for a moment, found its direction. IMO, of course.
    I gotta say that the bolded part makes little sense to me. I can see, kinda, why people would draw comparisons between the first half of the season and BSG, but now? These last 3 episodes were very different, both in tone and in content; SGU has finally started to come into its own as a show and IMO comparing it to BSG, or Star Trek, or any other sci-fi show is at this point very inadequate. Apples to oranges.

As for the characters, I think Young and Rush are very convincing (great job Ferrera and Carlyle), Greer is superb, then I'd say Eli, TJ... I'd agree that Scott and Chloe are not that interesting, maybe Wray at the moment too (haven't seen much from her) but in no way actors are doing a bad job. It's just the others look more interesting and really shine through.
    I still have some issues with Chloe but she's been written much better in the last 3 episodes so this gives me hope. Same for Scott; he started out interesting, then became a little bland, but is now back on his way to be interesting again. Honestly, IMO the writing of what we've seen so far of the second half od the season has improved considerably (not that I was unhappy with the first 10 episodes; I liked them very much) and I'm pretty happy with all characters.

As for acting..I think it's great. Elyse has some "wooden" moments when I feel like she's just reciting her dialogue, but she's been steadily improving so hopefully she'll find her footing soon. I'm impressed by the rest of the cast. Carlyle and especially Ferreira mop the floor, what Smith did with Greer is simply amazing and the others aren't far behind. IIRC there was some thread around here asking about the best actor or something and the fact that people gave various answers instead of agreeing that it's RC speaks volumes about the abilities of the rest of the cast. Including David Blue and Brian J. Smith, since OP singled them out.
    There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
    awesome sig by Josiane

Destiny, fighting off people that cancel SGU

Quote Originally Posted by OutandAboot View Post
    I corrected it for you
    I was going to mention how Scott's character reminds me of Sheppard in the "stilted or wooden" category.

Sure a lot of the secondary characters being played aren't acting as good as Louis or Bob, but are there really many TV shows out there that have an all star cast all around? I haven't seen many. It's usually the trend to have one or two headliners and then some others that aren't 100% convincing as actors. But that's understandable given what they have to work with (budget, sometimes writing and such)
    Simplest solution is to get into the character for what is being presented, and indulge in the story while watching. Critiquing as you watch, or looking for these flaws takes a ton out of the experience. Personally I haven't had a problem watching the show, but afterward you think back and say yeah that was probably a pretty lame execution of dialogue. But at that point it doesn't matter because you got the full intended effect of the scene!

Lieutenant Colonel Eternal Density's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by carmencatalina View Post
    Yeah, the acting is rather weak. That Carlyle guy, seriously, where did they dig him up? I suppose he is just there to please those of us who find older Scottish guys with longish hair sexy.
    I lol'd... and then predicted that not everyone would see that you're aiming at funny.
    Though I read dacooker's post as continuing the joke by responding in kind.
    "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
    Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Whitt Remastered View Post
    Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
    Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Chief Master Sergeant arrakis44's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vszulc View Post
    not even the biggest nerds I know shoot off a sci-fi reference every other sentence
    You don't know enough nerds. I, and several of my friends, regularly drop sci-fi references into our conversations. On topic, I don't think any one actor stands out as being 'bad' at this point in the series. I'm perfectly happy with the cast for the time being.
    I can picture in my mind, a world without war, a world without hate.... and i can picture us attacking that world cause they'd never see it comming

Lieutenant Colonel Eternal Density's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arrakis44 View Post
    I'm perfectly happy with the cast for the time being.
    This!
    "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
    Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Whitt Remastered View Post
    Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
    Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

And as for Eli, oh boy... Again I find myself totally not buying David Blue's delivery. I can't think of any of the civilian characters that are less convincing than him.
    Not to mention that Elis constant (BAD) jokes and ridiculous nerdy pop-culture references (The writers might think it's chic and hip, but not even the biggest nerds I know shoot off a sci-fi reference every other sentence)
    You obviously don't know nerds. Ever been to slashdot.org? One of the biggest nerd hangouts. Read the forums; you'll notice nerds cracking sci-fi jokes all over the place. That, and puns, are the biggest humor aspects for a nerd. David Blue is almost a bit too outspoken at times, but he's playing a fairly good nerd.

Am I the only one who's trying to enjoy SGU, but can't get past the (lack of) characters?

Particularily Eli's character and Lt. Scott.
    It's not so much Scott's character that bothers me, as the fact that every time the character opens his mouth, it comes off as stilted or wooden. Sorry, Brian Smith just lacks either the experience or the acting chops to pull off a major character like this, and hopefully he'll become more of a background character in the 2nd season.

Then you haven't met me.. Cos I do shoot off sci-fi references as much as possible, its kinda my thing.. and as for scott, maybe he's supposed to come off that way, some people do come across as being stilted or wooden... plus he's a soldier and as far as he's concerned he's always on duty aboard the destiny so perhaps hes trying to portray that...

And what is it about Elis constant whining and fretting about aliens. (Fish out of water and all of that, but wouldn't you think a geeky sci-fi fan aboard a spaceship would be at least a little excited about meeting actual aliens?!?)

I suppose I could get used to both characters, if they came off more convincingly, but they don't. Especially when they're put next to actors like Robert Carlyle and Louis Ferrera. Those two just steal every scene they're in, and are the main reason I'm still watching. Am I the only one who've noticed that the cast seems a little ehm, unbalanced that way?

(OTOH: Some people complain about Chloe, but I don't know why. Yeah, she might be a bit whiny, though she's a pillar of courage next to Eli, lol, but at least she comes off convincingly.)
    Ya every sci-fi says they'd love to be in his situation but I doubt that most would actually be like "OMG ALIENS SHOOTING AT ME!!! LOL OMG!!!! IVE WAITED SO LONG FOR THIS YESSSS!!!!!!!" and so on.. I think his response of being worried about everything that they've come in contact with so far trying to kill them is a reasonable one.. and you can hardly expect fairly young actors to steal a scene away from robert carlyle.... HE'S ROBERT CARLYLE FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! HE PRACTICALLY INVENTED ACTED! Louis is an excellent one too but Ive developed somewhat of a man crush on Carlyle for his unholy acting ability.

And Chloe can seem whiny, but again it suits the situation, her dads body is floating around somewhere, she might never see her friends or family ever again, death waits around every ftl jump and not to mention all the aliens want to have their way with her.. Id be pretty bummed too...
    I dunno what to put in here now..

Second Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
    What is this - Probie SGU bash?
    Since you just proven that number of posts and quality of said postings aren't always connected I don't mind the "Probie" badge at all. New members can't posters their opinions?

My problems with SGU are from it's writing. I have complained here about the constant issues with the ship, which basically took over the first half of the season and wrecked it.
    Well you do have a point there. Granted, there was some payoff in some of the later episodes, but just as many problems with the pacing, boring stories, plotlines that apparently were just abandoned (Like the communication stones) etc. I rather hold off on any definite judgement until the first season is over though. Hopefully the new writers can improve the show, though I fear their (mostly) non sci-fi backgrounds might drag it in the other direction. SGU needs more sci-fi than what we've gotten so far, since it really can't compete drama-wise against some of the other shows it'll be up against.

When Scott is in full on action hero mode, BJS makes it work. His character is supposed to be slightly shakey, isn't he?
    True. My favorite scene with him is when he can't get peoples attention on the paradise planet right when they get off the shuttle. But it's when those two don't have a line, or have to react to the other characters that the words "act" "cant" and "paperbag" spring into my mind. I would think that it would be beneficial for an actor to share a scene with a guy like Rush, but not always I guess. And the flashbacks scene were pretty bad as you pointed out. David Blue seems to do better with the emotional scenes, so when we get more of his characters backstory, hopefully it wont be as hammed up.

Eli is an ubernerd. yes he makes jokes. jokes meant for an audience that's not on the Destiny. he's the most childish simply because he's the youngest.
    Come on, the guy is in his twenties, not in his teens. And since they spent close to two months together, surely he would have found out at some point, that most of the people aboard don't get his "Trek" references, and finds them tedious. Maybe that's one of the problems I have with his character. The writers and David Blue does TOO much to emphasize what a geek and a fish out of water he is. Show it, but don't slather it on.

It's usually the trend to have one or two headliners and then some others that aren't 100% convincing as actors. But that's understandable given what they have to work with (budget, sometimes writing and such)
    It doesn't have to be a question of budgets or star value. There are plenty of series that do a bang up job at using relatively unknown actors that are just as good, or sometimes better than the shows lead actors. I guess SGA would be an example that most people are familiar with here. Or V for that matter. (Or SGU).
    It's not like I'm looking for faults when they have a scene, but I find most of the minor characters of SGU way more convincing than those two.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiphantom View Post
    You obviously don't know nerds. Ever been to slashdot.org? One of the biggest nerd hangouts. Read the forums; you'll notice nerds cracking sci-fi jokes all over the place. That, and puns, are the biggest humor aspects for a nerd. David Blue is almost a bit too outspoken at times, but he's playing a fairly good nerd.
    Slashdotters? here? AND on Destiny? LOL I really wonder what Eli did say in SPACE as a greeting - wasn't "I, for one, welcome our new alien overlords" was it?

Save Mallozzi's Mailbag!

The Pantsinator
    (Moderator)

Hello Moderator Moment Here

Folks are always making the accusation that GateWorld is trying to squelch constructive critiques of the SGU, the acting and various negative opinions folks have of the show. Yet every time we try to allow a member to post a respectful, constructive criticism we have a slew of folks that think it is okay for them to come into the thread and post off topic, post snark or outright vitriol just because they are *fans* of the show in all of its incarnations or they are *defending* the show.

So what ends up happening is we pull the entire thread because of the amount of intolerance being shown by *fans* for dissenting view points about various aspects. The thread gets so bogged down with these posts it is not worth saving and we end up handing out infractions to those who call themselves defenders of tolerance.

So how about allowing folks to have their OWN opinions, allowing them to state them in a respectful manner, as has been done here, discuss them with each other in a civil manner if you disagree and actually have some conversation. Instead of continuously trying to tell folks that just because they don't agree with YOUR opinion they are wrong so they should sit down and shut up. That is not what this forum is all about.

The topic of THIS thread is whether or not the right actors were chosen for the roles they play on SGU. For some this is not the case. For other s it is. You ARE allowed to have your OWN opinions and state them respectfully and discuss. ALL other topics are not appreciated here, disrespect of your fellow members is not tolerated here and just because you think SGU is the next best thing since sliced bread doesn't mean it is...however it also doesn't mean it isn't. But remember THAT is YOUR opinion.

Thank You
    TameFarrar
    GateWorld Moderator/Administrator
    Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Quote Originally Posted by UniverseSizePlotHole View Post
    Slashdotters? here? AND on Destiny? LOL I really wonder what Eli did say in SPACE as a greeting - wasn't "I, for one, welcome our new alien overlords" was it?
    Or "In Soviet Destiny, Stars Power You!" Or I could say something about Chloe and hot grits, heh. Or that Destiny is cool and all, but, does it run Linux? Or, to Young: "The more you tighten your grip, the more civilians slip through your fingers."

We Slashdotter nerds are everywhere.

Come on, the guy is in his twenties, not in his teens. And since they spent close to two months together, surely he would have found out at some point, that most of the people aboard don't get his "Trek" references, and finds them tedious. Maybe that's one of the problems I have with his character. The writers and David Blue does TOO much to emphasize what a geek and a fish out of water he is. Show it, but don't slather it on.
    Again, that's what nerds do. It's one reason why we are generally shunned by society, because we do things that are awkward or over the top or something, that makes everyone else annoyed or nervous. But other nerds find hilarious. The proof is: you find him annoying, which means he's a nerd and you are not. Thus, you can't really understand the mindset of a nerd.