This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrong people at the wrong place indeed

Am I the only one who's trying to enjoy SGU, but can't get past the (lack of) characters?

Particularily Eli's character and Lt. Scott.
    It's not so much Scott's character that bothers me, as the fact that every time the character opens his mouth, it comes off as stilted or wooden. Sorry, Brian Smith just lacks either the experience or the acting chops to pull off a major character like this, and hopefully he'll become more of a background character in the 2nd season.

And as for Eli, oh boy... Again I find myself totally not buying David Blue's delivery. I can't think of any of the civilian characters that are less convincing than him.
    Not to mention that Elis constant (BAD) jokes and ridiculous nerdy pop-culture references (The writers might think it's chic and hip, but not even the biggest nerds I know shoot off a sci-fi reference every other sentence)
    And what is it about Elis constant whining and fretting about aliens. (Fish out of water and all of that, but wouldn't you think a geeky sci-fi fan aboard a spaceship would be at least a little excited about meeting actual aliens?!?)

I suppose I could get used to both characters, if they came off more convincingly, but they don't. Especially when they're put next to actors like Robert Carlyle and Louis Ferrera. Those two just steal every scene they're in, and are the main reason I'm still watching. Am I the only one who've noticed that the cast seems a little ehm, unbalanced that way?

(OTOH: Some people complain about Chloe, but I don't know why. Yeah, she might be a bit whiny, though she's a pillar of courage next to Eli, lol, but at least she comes off convincingly.)

Although the acting isn't the best. My problems with SGU are from it's writing. I have complained here about the constant issues with the ship, which basically took over the first half of the season and wrecked it. SGU is kind of like Star Trek, they are exploring new areas, etc. Only with SGU the storylines aren't strong enough to carry a show that's teetering already. I want to hear less about problems and more about exploring and meeting new aliens, etc. The highest rated episode was the one with the aliens. So if they have to stop and re-write or what they should get it in gear as I'm sure people are abandoning the SGU ship already. So lets hope the writing changes and they make a show that's easier to watch (with less wining and nagging characters) and more interesting to the Sci-Fi watcher.

Comment

When Scott is in full on action hero mode, BJS makes it work. His character is supposed to be slightly shakey, isn't he? Fresh out of OCS then hurled across the universe, the character just needs time to find the confidence of Young and Rush, who have 30+ years of experience doing what they do. IMO, the relative inexperience of the actor helps the character, in that his "wooden" delivery actually works for me as his "I'm still trying to figure out what kind of leader I am" command voice when talking to the enlisted, and as his "insecure but trying to be tough" voice around Young and Rush. Afterall, Young was some officer distantly up the command chain before Destiny, and Rush is Rush. You wouldn't be nervous around either?

His flashbacks and scenes on Earth are slightly hammy though >.>

Comment

Eli so far for me is the best thing on the show, mainly because I'd be saying all those bad jokes in his place.

Comment

Eli is an ubernerd. yes he makes jokes. jokes meant for an audience that's not on the Destiny. he's the most childish simply because he's the youngest. and that makes him interesting

Comment

Originally posted by HJtravels View Post
            Although the acting isn't the best.
            Yeah, the acting is rather weak. That Carlyle guy, seriously, where did they dig him up? I suppose he is just there to please those of us who find older Scottish guys with longish hair sexy.
            sigpic
            Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

Comparing SGU with Trek is like comparing apples and oranges. The show that's closest to SGU is probably DS9 but I doubt it's these people's favourite show... I think they are mostly "Voyager" or "TNG" fans...

I never really cared about the Trek. I've seen a number of episodes, seen some movies. II is definitely the best movie, four and six are good, others, Voyager, some of TNG, Enterprize = crap, the rest of TNG and DS9 = good, TOS only has the sentimental value mostly.

People compare SGU with BSG and SGU loses to BSG at the moment... but BSG was probably, if we talk about the quality of stories, acting etc. top 3 sci-fi show ever. They are trying to do a different thing with SGU, character driven space drama and even if it felt sort of weak in the 1st part of season, in the 2nd part show has, at least for a moment, found its direction. IMO, of course.

As for the characters, I think Young and Rush are very convincing (great job Ferrera and Carlyle), Greer is superb, then I'd say Eli, TJ... I'd agree that Scott and Chloe are not that interesting, maybe Wray at the moment too (haven't seen much from her) but in no way actors are doing a bad job. It's just the others look more interesting and really shine through.
              - the guest member of SGU book club

Comment

Originally posted by dacooker
                They got him at the same place they got everyone else. The actor's classified section in you local newspaper. However Roberts experience in acting, his prestige gives him a big, fat contract. So fat there isn't enough left for decent actors, which is the point HJtravels is trying to explain.
                And, obviously, without smileys to point the way, sarcasm is a lost art on the internet. Le sigh.

Ok, the truth is, I think Carlyle is a brilliant actor, Ming-Na is brilliant, and while I'm less familiar with the rest of the cast, they have been doing a bang-up job.
                sigpic
                Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

i love all the characters now. didn't like the IOA girl at first.
                  https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by latvian_stargatefan View Post
                    People compare SGU with BSG and SGU loses to BSG at the moment... but BSG was probably, if we talk about the quality of stories, acting etc. top 3 sci-fi show ever. They are trying to do a different thing with SGU, character driven space drama and even if it felt sort of weak in the 1st part of season, in the 2nd part show has, at least for a moment, found its direction. IMO, of course.
                    I gotta say that the bolded part makes little sense to me. I can see, kinda, why people would draw comparisons between the first half of the season and BSG, but now? These last 3 episodes were very different, both in tone and in content; SGU has finally started to come into its own as a show and IMO comparing it to BSG, or Star Trek, or any other sci-fi show is at this point very inadequate. Apples to oranges.

As for the characters, I think Young and Rush are very convincing (great job Ferrera and Carlyle), Greer is superb, then I'd say Eli, TJ... I'd agree that Scott and Chloe are not that interesting, maybe Wray at the moment too (haven't seen much from her) but in no way actors are doing a bad job. It's just the others look more interesting and really shine through.
                    I still have some issues with Chloe but she's been written much better in the last 3 episodes so this gives me hope. Same for Scott; he started out interesting, then became a little bland, but is now back on his way to be interesting again. Honestly, IMO the writing of what we've seen so far of the second half od the season has improved considerably (not that I was unhappy with the first 10 episodes; I liked them very much) and I'm pretty happy with all characters.

As for acting..I think it's great. Elyse has some "wooden" moments when I feel like she's just reciting her dialogue, but she's been steadily improving so hopefully she'll find her footing soon. I'm impressed by the rest of the cast. Carlyle and especially Ferreira mop the floor, what Smith did with Greer is simply amazing and the others aren't far behind. IIRC there was some thread around here asking about the best actor or something and the fact that people gave various answers instead of agreeing that it's RC speaks volumes about the abilities of the rest of the cast. Including David Blue and Brian J. Smith, since OP singled them out.
                    There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
                    sigpic
                    awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Originally posted by OutandAboot
                      I corrected it for you
                      I was going to mention how Scott's character reminds me of Sheppard in the "stilted or wooden" category.

Sure a lot of the secondary characters being played aren't acting as good as Louis or Bob, but are there really many TV shows out there that have an all star cast all around? I haven't seen many. It's usually the trend to have one or two headliners and then some others that aren't 100% convincing as actors. But that's understandable given what they have to work with (budget, sometimes writing and such)
                      Simplest solution is to get into the character for what is being presented, and indulge in the story while watching. Critiquing as you watch, or looking for these flaws takes a ton out of the experience. Personally I haven't had a problem watching the show, but afterward you think back and say yeah that was probably a pretty lame execution of dialogue. But at that point it doesn't matter because you got the full intended effect of the scene!
                      sigpic
                      Originally posted by dacooker
                      The ships named Destiny for a reason....three years my friend, three years....

Comment

Originally posted by carmencatalina View Post
                        Yeah, the acting is rather weak. That Carlyle guy, seriously, where did they dig him up? I suppose he is just there to please those of us who find older Scottish guys with longish hair sexy.
                        I lol'd... and then predicted that not everyone would see that you're aiming at funny.
                        Though I read dacooker's post as continuing the joke by responding in kind.
                        "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
                        Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
                        Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
                        Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
                        Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Originally posted by vszulc View Post
                          not even the biggest nerds I know shoot off a sci-fi reference every other sentence
                          You don't know enough nerds. I, and several of my friends, regularly drop sci-fi references into our conversations. On topic, I don't think any one actor stands out as being 'bad' at this point in the series. I'm perfectly happy with the cast for the time being.
                          I can picture in my mind, a world without war, a world without hate.... and i can picture us attacking that world cause they'd never see it comming

Comment

Originally posted by arrakis44 View Post
                            I'm perfectly happy with the cast for the time being.
                            This!
                            "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
                            Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
                            Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
                            Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
                            Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Originally posted by vszulc View Post
                              And as for Eli, oh boy... Again I find myself totally not buying David Blue's delivery. I can't think of any of the civilian characters that are less convincing than him.
                              Not to mention that Elis constant (BAD) jokes and ridiculous nerdy pop-culture references (The writers might think it's chic and hip, but not even the biggest nerds I know shoot off a sci-fi reference every other sentence)
                              You obviously don't know nerds. Ever been to slashdot.org? One of the biggest nerd hangouts. Read the forums; you'll notice nerds cracking sci-fi jokes all over the place. That, and puns, are the biggest humor aspects for a nerd. David Blue is almost a bit too outspoken at times, but he's playing a fairly good nerd.

Comment

Working...
                              X