Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still too early to tell people. Let's wait until season 2 before we judge.

Comment

striker,

Originally posted by striker7770 View Post
      I think a big problem is that each story end in a mystery. Not one story has been completly finished, even bsg had some ending or cliffhanger but not sgu.

A good way they should do it is have three or so story arcs per season, almost like doctor who. There is an arc that runs through every episode, but every episode has a certain individually to the other.

It's almost of too much of a good thing.
      That's because the story is ongoing. What in life, other than fiction, is completed like the end of an episodic televison show? It should feel open ended at the end of an episode because the story continiues.
      All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

The robot is probably much more important to the story than the episode implies.

It is, most likley, AN ANCIENT!
        Jk. But still, it is likley that the "unfinished" stories will link together some how.

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
          beafly,

I dislike episodic TV in the extreme. It ignores the advantage a series has to tell a broader and more in depth story. It attempts to turn Television programs into a series of short self contained films. It's as though, instead of getting a novel, you get a book full of disonnected short stories filled with the same characters. Some may like that but I prefer to read novels that give you a longer more complete story.

Television can do this. Movies tend to chop things up because they don't have the time necessary to tell longer stories.
          I believe that the later seasons of SG1 did an excellent job of providing episodic resolution and still maintaining the longer more epic plot lines you speak of. I don't' believe the two are mutually exclusive.

I understand your point of view and I agree in many aspects. For me, if I'd like to engage in real thinking I read a book. I sit in front of the TV to be entertained, not frustrated. Cliffhangers seem to be en vogue, but I find them thoroughly aggravating. Wrap it up for me. Start something new next episode, season, etc.

I'm curious to know how much different my opinion of SGU might look if I were watching the entire series over a long weekend as opposed to drawn out over 6 months or more. I'm the kind of guy that will sit down and read a 500 page novel in a couple days to the exclusion of all else, just because I can't stand things un-finished. SGU leaves me with the un-finished feeling.

To each his own right?

Comment

Originally posted by meo3000 View Post
            Then again, by leaving so much stories and details open, they risk confusing us down the road. If i have to follow 10 major plots and 40 sub-plots, mix everything with a huge portion of vagueness... eventually my head will either go blank or blow up.
            *shrug* It worked on Babylon 5.

Comment

Originally posted by drallafi View Post
              babylon 5 is an exception though because it was just so brilliant and no show has done arcs as well as babylon 5.
              sigpic
              The best written female character on trek ever.

Comment

Originally posted by drallafi View Post
                Originally posted by chrono trigger View Post
                babylon 5 is an exception though because it was just so brilliant and no show has done arcs as well as babylon 5.
                did we think so from moment one, I wonder. Yes, I loved B5 anyway, but upon first watching, there were arcs that did take a long time to develop. From what I've seen of the SGU series so far, I have faith in the writers to make a decent story arc, wrapping all these points up. (Hell, even B5 didn't wrap ALL of them up )
                sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
                  did we think so from moment one, I wonder. Yes, I loved B5 anyway, but upon first watching, there were arcs that did take a long time to develop. From what I've seen of the SGU series so far, I have faith in the writers to make a decent story arc, wrapping all these points up. (Hell, even B5 didn't wrap ALL of them up )
                  i do agree that arcs take time to really hit their stride so with SGU time will tell.
                  sigpic
                  The best written female character on trek ever.

Comment

Originally posted by beafly View Post
                    I believe that the later seasons of SG1 did an excellent job of providing episodic resolution and still maintaining the longer more epic plot lines you speak of. I don't' believe the two are mutually exclusive.

I understand your point of view and I agree in many aspects. For me, if I'd like to engage in real thinking I read a book. I sit in front of the TV to be entertained, not frustrated. Cliffhangers seem to be en vogue, but I find them thoroughly aggravating. Wrap it up for me. Start something new next episode, season, etc.

I'm curious to know how much different my opinion of SGU might look if I were watching the entire series over a long weekend as opposed to drawn out over 6 months or more. I'm the kind of guy that will sit down and read a 500 page novel in a couple days to the exclusion of all else, just because I can't stand things un-finished. SGU leaves me with the un-finished feeling.

To each his own right?
                    Why don't you stop watching then when the whole season has aired come back to it? Of course, due to cliffhanger endings, you may not like it anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Laxian of Earth View Post
                      nothing against a story arc (SG-1 and Atlantis should both have had one IMHO), but not with making so much misstakes (the robot should have been explored in the episode, they could have cut scenes like TJ crying, Chloe bathing naked and so on ...they should have done some more ship exploring (making discoveries for either use in later episodes or things that get looked at but "testing" them out takes longer then the episode)

greetings LAX
                      but exploring the ship has nothing to do with the meaning of the ep.
                      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Working...
                      X