This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fan Fiction Discussion and Analysis

This new thread is for all Gateworld Authors who wish to discuss and disect their stories and those off others if they wish. It will also be THE thread for those entering in the competitions to discuss those as well.

Simple rules, no OFF TOPIC chit chat, and no flaming, or putting others down, or insults. That will not be tolerated here. Have fun.
    My FF.netStories -Stargate Atlantis Allies-Colonel Ted Hasluck Bio
    sigpic "Weedle" 27/09/1987-16/09/2010 RIP Soldier

And congratulations to Akamaimon for winning the First round of the Competition

Comment

I have my ficlet for the new competition ready to go, but i have a grammar issue im' not sure about.

i have two characters giving rather large monologues, and i want to avoid the huge block of text of doom. Is there some way to punctuate it so it's still the same person speaking but with paragraphs? It's been bugging me for days and i can't seem to get a straight answer (what i'd give to have my old english teacher around)

If anyone can assist, i'd be most gracious
      Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
      Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
      Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

I think I'm going to require some research before writing one for the new comptertition that or watch lots more techno scenes
        If found, is probably lost on the way to Azaroth or the Pegasus Galaxy
        sigpic

Comment

Sam send me a email on what you have and I'll see what I can do for for you

Dray there is a megaton of stuff out there you can find, and humour works best especially where technobabble is concerned, Rodney is a good target, and I'm sure you find a lot of stuff on him. R2 can probably help you there, or one of the "Other guys"

Comment

Nah, my brother is a technowizz, as is my boyfriend. I'll badger them for knowledge
            If found, is probably lost on the way to Azaroth or the Pegasus Galaxy
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Draygon View Post
              Nah, my brother is a technowizz, as is my boyfriend. I'll badger them for knowledge
              There you go, the story is half done

Comment

Originally posted by puddlejumperOZ View Post
                Sam send me a email on what you have and I'll see what I can do for for you

Dray there is a megaton of stuff out there you can find, and humour works best especially where technobabble is concerned, Rodney is a good target, and I'm sure you find a lot of stuff on him. R2 can probably help you there, or one of the "Other guys"
                Sent and you can even give me your thoughts as you might find it interesting I'm not sure how that would actually work though... two characters, one berating and one explaining, in large blocks of text Someone? Anyone?
                Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"

Comment

A day or so and I'll have it fully autopsied for you

Comment

Originally posted by Aragon101 View Post
                    I have my ficlet for the new competition ready to go, but i have a grammar issue im' not sure about.

i have two characters giving rather large monologues, and i want to avoid the huge block of text of doom. Is there some way to punctuate it so it's still the same person speaking but with paragraphs? It's been bugging me for days and i can't seem to get a straight answer (what i'd give to have my old english teacher around)

If anyone can assist, i'd be most gracious
                    It's quite simple. You don't close the quotation marks at the end of the paragraph if the same character is still speaking in the next paragraph. So it would look like this:

"Blah blah blah. Blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah.Blah blah blah. Blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah.Blah blah blah. Blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah.

"Blah blah blah blah.Blah blah blah. Blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah."

Comment

^^^ Ah yes that may be true to a point, but if you wish to reduce a very long dialogue, it's best to insert some action sequence midway such as.

"Blah blah blah. Blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah.Blah blah blah. Blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah.Blah blah blah. Blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah. He then jumped up from his chair and turned to her. He wasn't finished yet.

"Blah blah blah blah.Blah blah blah. Blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah." After that he needed a drink, and he slumped back down again.

Comment

^^^ Ah yes that may be true to a point, but if you wish to reduce a very long dialogue, it's best to insert some action sequence midway such as.

"Blah blah blah. Blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah.Blah blah blah. Blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah.Blah blah blah. Blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah. He then jumped up from his chair and turned to her. He wasn't finished yet.

"Blah blah blah blah.Blah blah blah. Blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah." After that he needed a drink, and he slumped back down again.
                        Or ...

"Blah blah blah. Blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah. Blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah. Blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah."

He jumped up from his chair, turning to her; he wasn't finished yet.

"Blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah. Blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah."

After that he needed a drink, slumping back down again.
                        Also, can we spell analysis correctly? It's hurting my eyes.

Comment

Well it depends on the tone of the monologue, you saw what i had, i did have some "action" amid the conversation, but it isn't the type of conversation to easily have that.

For those wondering, my fic is quite literally Sam Carter coming to John Sheppard with a complaint, and she has a minor rant at him which is why it's a long monologue. John then replies in kind with a monologue of his own defending himself. Then Ronon shows up and unwittingly creates chaos but that's for the fic

It's meant to be a very civilized discussion with Sam venting, then John defending, they're both solid enough on their positions not to interrupt the other and want to know the other's position.

Comment

Hmmm... technobabble story for us ladies, and ship fun for the guys? Hmmm.. if I start writing a technobable story, be ready for a lot of reading!!

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                            "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                            "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

TBH i think it's interesting but i just utterly suck at shipping.

Comment

Working...
                              X