This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mission 100 - Atlantis reaches a milestone

If anyone is interested, this is on the special bonus disc that comes with the complete series (all five seasons) set. Mine was a German edition, so I´m sure the menu will look a bit different on others, but the extra itself should be universal.

Full transcript and pictures from the screen. I probably shouldn´t call them screencaps, since they´re not in perfect quality.

Spoiler:

Mission 100 – Atlantis reaches a milestone.

Running time: approx. 14 minutes

Voiceover:

Man 1, “It’s the last day on the set.”

Man 2, “Is it?”

Last Day on Set, September 17, 2008

Man, “Are you focused?”

Gero, “All right, we’ll start with the handshake.”

Man, “Okay.” [they shake hands]

Gero, “Come on now, big guy, big hug.”

Man, “aww, better than arguing – wait, wait, wait.”[Group hug with two more of the producers I guess]

Gero, “It’s taken five years, and it finally happened. It finally happened. Fantasy fulfilled. All right, guys, shut her down. Shut her down.”

Andy Mikita, “Yeah, I mean, there’s always a lot of build-up, you know, towards the 100th. It’s a milestone and it’s a big event, and we’re all, on set, really proud to have reached that point. So, it was pretty cool.”

Paul Mullie, “We wanted to do something that was kind of full circle, which turned out to be a good way to end the series, as well. We knew it was the 100th episode. We always knew that. We didn’t know it was the last episode when I actually started writing it. So I wasn’t writing it to be the last episode of the series, I was writing it to be the 100th episode. It kind of worked out to be just as good, either way.

Andy Mikita, “Yeah, I mean it comes with a certain degree of added pressure, I suppose, because there’s just more attention on it, but we kind of essentially treated it like another episode. You know, the mood was light but reflective at the same time. And the toughest thing was just keeping everybody focused.”

Paul Mullie, “Andy was in a difficult position because he had to shoot this big finale episode, at the same time he was dealing with the fact that it was the last episode, and everybody knew it.-"

"It was a long episode to begin with, those action-driven episodes where there’s a lot of intercutting between different things and everything’s happening fast; they tend to write longer. You have to write more material to fill the time, because everything happens very fast. That’s extra material that needs to be put on the schedule, so it makes for a long day because there’s a lot of pages per day to be shot, on top of the fact that everyone is moving a little bit slower because there’s all these goodbye moments every two seconds, cause it’s the last episode and everybody’s emotional and all that kind of stuff.”

Andy Mikita, “But at the same time, it wasn’t like some of the SG-1 milestone episodes in the past, you know, that were very, very different in tone. They were comedy episodes basically. But this one was more of a straight-up episode of Atlantis.

Saying goodbye to some old friends…

Andy Mikita, “For the 100h episode, it was a big deal to have Amanda Tapping back on the show, no question about it. I mean, the season opener this year, “Search and Rescue”, we had Amanda and that was the last time we’d seen her this season, so to have her to come back to finish the show, I thought was fantastic. It was great seeing her. She’s such a pro. And you can just rely on her to be a solid, great performer, every time.

Paul Mullie, “When she wasn’t going to be in part of season five, we knew we wanted to have her in some episodes, so we essentially did a deal for her to do two episodes minimum and we knew we wanted her for the first episode, and we knew it made sense to have her back in the last episode, because that was the last episode of the season, and the 100th episode, and then it turned out to be the last episode of the show, as well. That’s one of the things you do, when you do a 100th episode or some kind of special episode, an anniversary episode, or whatever. You try to bring back characters you’ve had before. So we brought back Kavanaugh. We brought back a character from SG-1, actually, Major Davis, and Gary, who plays Walter Harriman –You know, guys like that, who are just familiar within the franchise. It’s nice to bring them back for those kinds of episodes.-"

"Originally we were just going to do a card at the end saying, you know, “In memory of Don Davis.” But we talked about it, and we wanted it to be a little bit more than that. We wanted it to be the characters honouring the character that he played so what we had to essentially say was that the character of General Hammond had died and have a scene in which the characters react to that fact. And then I created this sort of fictional new ship, the Phoenix, in the alternate timeline that was the end of season four. And when we knew that we were going to need ships to deal with the threat in the 100th episode….Í thought, “Okay, well, they could make that a reality,” what was originally an alternate timeline, a sort of different future. Okay, now we’re meeting up with that future in this reality and there IS a ship called the Phoenix that’s about to come out but we talked about the idea, “What if they changed the name?”

Sheppard, “The Phoenix?”

Carter, “Actually, we’re renaming it, the General Hammond.”

Sheppard “Oh yeah, I heard about that.”

Paul Mullie, “We thought that that was kind of a fitting tribute for the character, for Don obviously, but I thought it was kind of neat to have it be within the world of the show, have the characters honouring the character, as opposed to just a card at the end honouring the actor, you know. I think it... I don’t know. It just had a cool kind of feel to it. It felt like something that Don would like, basically.”

One by One, they go…

Joseph Mallozzi, “This is the last shot of the episode, and frankly, the last shot of the series. We’ve come full circle. We’re going to start on everyone on the balcony, and we’re going to pull away and reveal that the ship, the City, is on Earth. And, you know, we’re going to pan off and see the Golden Gate Bridge. And obviously, it’s a bittersweet moment for all of us, but for me especially.”

Andy Mikita, “Generally speaking, the more people you have in the scenes, the longer it’s going to take. And certainly, this episode was no exception to that. You know, having said that, I generally like team episodes. They just tend to be the better ones, in my opinion. But they’re certainly a lot more difficult to shoot, because they do take more time. It’s just gathering everybody up and just getting them all onto the set and on their marks. It takes a heck of a lot longer than when it’s only two or three people.”

to be continued in part 2
    Last edited by SheppAddictedFangirl; 18 April 2010, 09:11 AM.

Check out this amazing vid by SGAFan on YouTube Joe IS Rockford!
    picfic craziness against boredom: Col.Sheppard & the nutty whumpers

part two -continued

Spoiler:

Martin Gero, “We’re going to be doing the last scene kind of not last. Like, I know this is just how it worked out and stuff, but we’ll do this kind of big, last emotional scene, and then it will be like, all right, moving on. I mean, look at Carl.” [points to him]

Paul Mullie, “It’s a hard thing for a director to deal with. But you know, Andy is basically our go-to guy, has been this season. I’m actually hoping Andy will direct our movie, if that all plays out. If we get to do that, that would be great. There was no yelling at people to .. to.. you know, at a certain point, you just sort of sat back, and let them have their moments, right? You just kind of go, “Okay, well, we’ll get through this as fast as we can once everybody is finished with their speeches and things like that.”

[SGA conference room] Man, “Okay guys, it’s a wrap.”

[The cast and crew stand around and give Rachel Luttrell a big applause.]

Rachel Luttrell, [embarrassed smile as she waits for them to stop] “Thank you. [more cheering and whistling] Okay, you’re embarrassing me. [laughs]. I thought about what I wanted to say, and I have… [exhales deeply] nothing. I have nothing. Except, … thank you. You guys have been like a family to me, and I’m really going to miss working with you.”

Man, “Right back at you.” [Applause continues]

Paul Mullie, “When Jason was wrapped, we would pause, and myself or Andy would make that announcement that, “Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr. Jason Momoa is now wrapped from the show.”

Jason Momoa [in the SGA infirmary, wearing scrubs as he goes to hug everybody in sight], “Nice scene, I see you on Friday.” [to camera] “Tough, tough, tough, tough. Thought it´d be easier. It’s not.” [makes a “Peace” sign and walks backwards.]

(I´m sorry, but he was too close to the camera and it was rather dark, so his pictures here weren´t at all recognizable anymore. )

Andy Mikita, “You know, we were actually able to say all our goodbyes many, many times. I think it was three or four days where there was this big… you know, when David was wrapped and Jewel was wrapped.”

[David Hewlett walks through the Atlantis corridor as the crew cheers him on. He tries to walk faster but a guy stops him.]

Man 1, “Get back here.”

Crew member 2, “Mr. David Hewlett, everyone.” [all cheering].

David Hewlett, “Thank you very much.”

There´s some talk about cupcakes as well.

[Jewel Staite stands in the infirmary set, embarrassed smile on her face as the crew applauds her. ]

Crew keeps cheering as Joe Flanigan approaches her, gives her a hug and walks away.]

Crew member, “Good work. Good going.” [hugs her as well]
    Crew member 2, “You earned it.”
    Jewel Staite, “Thank you guys. See you on Saturday.”
    Man 1, “Are you sad you’re leaving?”
    Jewel Staite, “I’m not good at that stuff. I cry, and it’s embarrassing.”
    Man 3, “we’ll see you. As long as free drinks flow, we’ll see you.”
    Man 4, “Speech! Speech!
    Jewel Staite, “No. No!”

[another guy hugs her]

Andy Mikita, “Whenever there was a group of them wrapped, it was always the big clapping and the celebration and the speeches and it felt like, “okay, we should be done now.” But, no. We still have another day to go. So then it was refocusing, and then, “Oh man, we’re still going.”

One last day…

Andy Mikita [on set, F302 bay] “Okay, this is the last day of Stargate Atlantis. The only guy here is Joe. He’s the last one to be wrapped. We wrapped everybody else a couple days ago. No, it’s been good. It’s sort of bittersweet. Everybody’s having fun, but at the same time, we’re sorry to see it all come to an end."

Mikita: "Yeah, our final day of shooting was all the work relating the F-302. For me, it was going to be the toughest day on the schedule, and it was the one that I’d sort of put the most thought and prep into. It was a combination of practical and effects work and you know, it was a lot of intercut scenes. So, for Joe, it was tough for him to know where we were all the time because there was literally like 25 or 30 scenes.

.. to be continued in part 3
    Last edited by SheppAddictedFangirl; 18 April 2010, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Last part of "Mission 100"

Spoiler:

Paul Mullie, “I knew that that was going to be…, that Andy was going to, essentially just have to have a plan. And he had storyboarded the sequence with the visual effects people, so he had it all kind of in his head.”

Andy Mikita, “I didn’t know what to do. So, I hired another director to draw these pictures.-"

Mikita: "So I’m just doing what they say. We would also find some specific points where, you know, I knew that we needed to have particular physical elements, like whether or not it was the simulated explosions out the windows, or particular points where Sheppard’s looking out a window, and I know that we’re going to continue off of his look to a visual effect, things like that, some of those specific beats that we would go back and hit.”

Paul Mullie, “And so they have to do all kinds of things, you know, just bits and pieces to make it more than just one camera on Joe sitting in a chair, right? It’s a really challenging thing to do, to do an elaborate sequence of a guy sitting in the cockpit of a ship. So, I just basically trusted Andy to know how to do that. He’s done it before. He’s done those kinds of sequences before. All I can say is, watch the episode and you’ll see the sequence is pretty awesome.”

Andy Mikita, “It was tricky and I certainly didn’t do as much as I had initially hoped to do. I had storyboarded the whole sequence. And again, because it was intercut with other scenes in the briefing room, with Carter and Major Davis, along with all the intercut visual effects, it was a very big visual effects sequence. That was a challenge just keeping all those elements together.”

Paul Mullie, “It’s hard for the director, and it’s hard for the actors when you’re acting in between moments for big visual effects-driven episodes. Those are tough ones for them to begin with. And then all the other added baggage of the 100th episode and the last episode and all that stuff, it made it a pretty challenging episode to do it. But you know, watch the episode and you’ll see the end result. I think it’s pretty good.”

Mikita, “For Joe, it was kind of tough cause he was there right till the end and he was basically by himself to finish the show with him in the 302.”

Crew member, “And it’s a wrap on Joe Flanigan.”

Joe Flanigan, “I honestly think this is the best crew I’ve ever worked with in my life. And earlier in the year, when my dad passed away, in the middle of shooting, I went back to my trailer. I wasn’t quite sure what to do. And I wanted to be here. So, you guys helped make this a great environment. I love you guys.”

[Applause]

Andy Mikita, “Especially myself, I felt really, really proud to have gotten to that point, cause I know that it’s quite an achievement to make it that far in a series. There’s not a lot of shows on television that can make it that far.”

Mikita, “And we faced a lot of adversity over the years, and I think it was a real testament to the show. It continued to grow in popularity through the course of its five years. And especially to be given the opportunity to direct the 100th, I mean, that’s a milestone that all shows try to achieve.”

[Behind the scenes of Joe pulling out and playing with Sheppard’s sidearm while David Hewlett and Rachel Luttrell roll their eyes]

Guy. “It’s been a great five years, hasn’t it? How many shows go five years these days? It’s been fantastic. I’m sure, on behalf of myself and the rest of the production crew and Andy, we want to thank you very sincerely, every one of you. Thank you very much, everybody. You’ve been fantastic; you’ve done an amazing job. Thank you very much, guys. And - it’s a wrap.”

[Shot of crew, including Joe Flanigan wearing a pilot leather jacket, cheering and applauding. Again, too dark to actually make a snapshot of it].

End of “Mission 100”
      Running time: approx. 15 minutes

Last edited by SheppAddictedFangirl; 18 April 2010, 10:18 AM.

Comment

thanks for this, i have all the five seasons seperatly so there is really no point in ordering the complete season if they put a movie, or extended episode, than i would think about it, cause some sets are region 1 and others region 2 so it would be nice to have all region 2 dvds, but you never know. thank you again.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sp!der View Post
          thanks for this, i have all the five seasons seperatly so there is really no point in ordering the complete season if they put a movie, or extended episode, than i would think about it, cause some sets are region 1 and others region 2 so it would be nice to have all region 2 dvds, but you never know. thank you again.
          You´re welcome.

Comment

Thank you do much for taking the time to do this! (((HUGS))) Sniff!
            sigpic

Comment

You´re welcome, hun. *hugs*

Comment

Wow! that must have take you some time! thanks for sharing!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Austin View Post
                  Wow! that must have take you some time! thanks for sharing!
                  It did. LOL. But it was a nice way to spend it. I just love these guys.

Comment

And although I feel very sad during the reading and watching the piccies, I think you did a great job here, honey. Thanks so much for sharing. *hugs*
                    http://www.fanfiction.net/~dunnia http://www.jfjsthunksisters.org/portal.php
                    sigpic
                    Fabulous Siggie made by my dear friend Luciana

Comment

Originally posted by ardunnia1 View Post
                      And although I feel very sad during the reading and watching the piccies, I think you did a great job here, honey. Thanks so much for sharing. *hugs*
                      I´m really glad they put that on the disc, as I really love this cast and show, even though it made me sad too. I really miss them all.
                      *hugs back*

Comment

Thanks alot! But now i'm sad....

Comment

Originally posted by SheppAddictedFangirl View Post
                          I´m really glad they put that on the disc, as I really love this cast and show, even though it made me sad too. I really miss them all.
                          *hugs back*
                          Me too, honey, a lot.
                          http://www.fanfiction.net/~dunnia http://www.jfjsthunksisters.org/portal.php
                          sigpic
                          Fabulous Siggie made by my dear friend Luciana

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                            Thanks alot! But now i'm sad....
                            Originally posted by ardunnia1 View Post
                            Me too, honey, a lot.
                            oh no, sorry guys.
                            But at least there´s some books coming out. Not the same I know, but still ...
                            And who knows, maybe we will get that movie one day...

Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to make the screencaps and do the transcript, SAF!!! {{HUGS}}
                              Last edited by lily; 18 April 2010, 11:55 AM. Reason: Edited to fix typo

Comment

Working...
                              X