Creating a solar system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creating a solar system

While I believe that there's an easier explanation for the existence of the Faith solar system than planet building aliens (rogue star with a captured planet), I have to wonder, would building a star system and planet be that hard? Obviously for us it would, but for the uber tech aliens in Stargate I think it might be pretty easy. Given the availability of such technologies as wormholes, matter converters, teleporters, nanites and shields that can squeeze a planet into a black hole, I think it wholly possible that the Ancients, and maybe even the Asgard could have constructed a solar system if they felt like it. I really don't think they'd need to be the most uber aliens ever, they would just need a bunch of time on their hands.

Anyway, I figure you could fill an enormous shield with a bunch of hydrogen to create a star. The shield would just be to contain the hydrogen for the amount of time it took to fill up, eventually gravity should take over and fusion should begin. I'm sure it'd probably be more complicated than that, but I'm not an expert on stars. The planet should be almost as easy. Get a bunch of asteroids, and fuse them together somehow. You could bring them from any number of star systems by use of a supergate, or just hyperspace towing (if a Goa'uld cargo ship can move an asteroid into hyperspace, I'm sure it can be done by something bigger). After you've got enough matter for your planet, set some nanites loose on it, and program them to build the type of planet you want, complete with giant obelisk. Presto, one easy bake planet, terraform to your liking.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

I'm not sure whether the episode meant to infer that the star was "created" as well, or if it was just the planet. Volker said the star was something like 200 million years old, so depending on whether we actually get a solid timeline for Destiny's launch, the star could have developed after the gate-seeding ships but before the Destiny got there.

The planet, however, apparently can't have been formed to that level orbiting such a new star. I'd cast my vote to the "constructed the solar system by moving the planet from elsewhere" camp though.

Comment

I'd be in the move camp for both the star and the planet.

The star: Destiny dropped out of FTL due to the star's gravity well which was not in the navigational record. Any kind of "traditional" star birthing structures of which we know, would have left a gravitational record which destiny would have noted and factored in to its path. Therefore, iit seems a good likelihood the star birthing structure wasn't there either when the seeder ship went through those many millions of years ago. This being said, maybe the being(s) who created the star made it from the dark matter in the area, as well as any stray comets or asteroids, which would eliminate the need for any of these larger stellar nurseries. Maybe we'll find out some day.

The planet: too young and too developed for the age of the star it orbits, which speaks against the rogue planet. However, if we include nanites into the equation then all bets are off.

There just doesn't seem to be enough stuff out there to have created both the star and the planet, but then once you gather enough stuff to create a star getting enough stuff to make a planet should be easy. And if you have the ability to move a star then how difficult would it be to shift a planet?

regards,
      G.
      Go for Marty...

Comment

Oh the talk of the nanites ( not in the show ), the obelisk blue beam, strange radiation, HELLO ANYONE?

Radiation, voila, some kind of tiny tiny tiny tiny, oh wait, what if the aliens, are, organic nanite alike things, and now, some are in everyone who was on the planet.

Edit: And oh, what if the blue beam was sending DNA or whatever to call it, to create wilderness, or whatever, heck, it could be a dying race that was dying out, and created a new planet, then is going to seed the planet with their species, like the gadmeer, or even sakari.
        Last edited by Morganrone93; 18 April 2010, 01:38 AM.
        When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.-Arthur C. Clarke

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology -Carl Sagan

Comment

Definitely alien.

Comment

While the process of making a star, is in its most basic form, getting enough hydrogen and helium, putting it under pressure until it autoignites; and the basics of getting a planet together is getting a dense enough core (for, you know, gravity) and padding for the crust, the problem is the sheer logistics of such an operation. Any race advanced enough would be able to work out the technical kinks, but do they have the manpower?

Even the most advanced aliens out there would struggle with the sheer amount of hydrogen needed, on top of the ferromagnetic material needed for a dense iron core (assuming they build a planet to Earth's blueprints, of course). Admittedly, finding the stuff would probably be easy, but then to shift it all would take more effort and time than to just use a gravity gun or something to steal someone else's star and habitable planet.

Comment

ehhm all it takes are two stargates. toss one into empty space, throw the other into a jupiter planet, with inertial dampeners attached. the gas flows to open space. you practically move an entire planet. of course eventually the planet is more or less empty, but then take the gate again and throw it into the next jupiter or brown dwarf. repeat untill the ball of gas naturally collapses and forms a star.

as to the planet: hyperspace asteroids close to eachother. they form a relatively cool planet, then you smash some comets on it and seed life.

tadaa!

Comment

Hmm I bet you could just move a star by constructing a massive hyperspace engine powered by the star itself. Extend the hyperspace field around the star and there you go. Of course without some pretty powerful engines it might be slow going, but then again you could probably magnetically direct the particles the star is throwing off into a great big fusion torch engine. The planet could have been a control base for the operation.

I just didn't like that they automatically assumed the planet and star were constructed, instead of moved into place, or an odd naturally occuring phenomenon.
                All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

I just didn't like that they automatically assumed the planet and star were constructed, instead of moved into place, or an odd naturally occuring phenomenon.
                  a star moving there would've been charted as being elsewhere and stellar drift calculations would've put it in place correctly.

in fact, Rush said "dropped out in the middle of nowhere" then the star appeared and then the planet.

so yes, constructed.

Hmm I bet you could just move a star by constructing a massive hyperspace engine powered by the star itself. Extend the hyperspace field around the star and there you go. Of course without some pretty powerful engines it might be slow going, but then again you could probably magnetically direct the particles the star is throwing off into a great big fusion torch engine. The planet could have been a control base for the operation.

too much of an effort. interesting thought: creating a hyperspace field around a large chunk of gas giant, and jumping that gas to an empty space, and repeating that a thousand times over

Comment

Aw, i find this whole "these guys cant be that advanced' sooo cute, lol. Personally i'm glad that guys more advanced than all the asgard, ori wraith and most importantly that the ancients arent the be all end all of the SG verse anymore.

While the basic principles of creating a planet or star are relatively simple (especially with some of the magic-tech in stargate), the sheer scale of the construction is far above anything previously seen in SG. Especially so, considering that the planet is made particularly for humans - destiniys crew, thus the whole thing was both constructed and terraformed to specs in less than a year. For the seeder ship to not know about the system, it would have to be no more than a few years to a few decades old anyway, even if the planet wasnt so obviously meant for humans.

Covering up scandals and keeping secrets is almost a racial trait.

Isn't it funny how the word 'politics' is made up of the words 'poli' meaning 'many' in Latin, and 'tics' as in 'bloodsucking creatures’?

Comment

If we assume that the sun and planet were placed in Destiny's path to provide a refuge for the humans aboard, it seems far more plausible to me that the Sun and Planet were moved to that particular location vs. being constructed there.

With there being no other planetary bodies in the system, it might even be that the sun and planet were originally not partners at all, and plucked from different locations entirely.

Comment

Except the chances to find a planet being, to quote Rush, perfect for humans, are astronomical at best. The star may have been moved, but to be honest that doesnt sound any easier than making a new one. Theres also many possibilities on why the planet was made for humans, maybe an experiment (ie a zoo), maybe to lure them there or meybe they wanted a scan of destiny or whatever. I seriously doubt someone did all that out of the goodness of their heart though.

Covering up scandals and keeping secrets is almost a racial trait.

Isn't it funny how the word 'politics' is made up of the words 'poli' meaning 'many' in Latin, and 'tics' as in 'bloodsucking creatures’?

Comment

If the gate seeding ships are hundreds or thousands of years ahead of Destiny then it's plausible. As I said in another thread... a civilization with artificial gravity technology could place such a generator inside a nebula and wait until the gas density becomes so great for the nebula to collapse into a star. Also hyperspacing asteroids to build a planet and terraforming it with nanites seems plausible.
                          On second thought... hyperspace seems too primitive... if they're way more advanced than the Ancients they could create giant wormholes and bring the materials they need.
                          As to why ... I don't know... a monument? a preservation? an experiment? Who knows... maybe it's their way of saying "been there, done that"

Comment

While the basic principles of creating a planet or star are relatively simple (especially with some of the magic-tech in stargate), the sheer scale of the construction is far above anything previously seen in SG. Especially so, considering that the planet is made particularly for humans - destiniys crew, thus the whole thing was both constructed and terraformed to specs in less than a year. For the seeder ship to not know about the system, it would have to be no more than a few years to a few decades old anyway, even if the planet wasnt so obviously meant for humans.
                            i agree it's mainly logistics. though most races appear to have a massproduction capability of the antarctic. seriously, once you get to mass-produce hyperspace probes that gather asteroids to build a planet, and build a few supergates to get gas from brown dwarfs to make a star, making it is REALLY easy.

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
                              While I believe that there's an easier explanation for the existence of the Faith solar system than planet building aliens (rogue star with a captured planet), I have to wonder, would building a star system and planet be that hard? Obviously for us it would, but for the uber tech aliens in Stargate I think it might be pretty easy. Given the availability of such technologies as wormholes, matter converters, teleporters, nanites and shields that can squeeze a planet into a black hole, I think it wholly possible that the Ancients, and maybe even the Asgard could have constructed a solar system if they felt like it. I really don't think they'd need to be the most uber aliens ever, they would just need a bunch of time on their hands.

Anyway, I figure you could fill an enormous shield with a bunch of hydrogen to create a star. The shield would just be to contain the hydrogen for the amount of time it took to fill up, eventually gravity should take over and fusion should begin. I'm sure it'd probably be more complicated than that, but I'm not an expert on stars. The planet should be almost as easy. Get a bunch of asteroids, and fuse them together somehow. You could bring them from any number of star systems by use of a supergate, or just hyperspace towing (if a Goa'uld cargo ship can move an asteroid into hyperspace, I'm sure it can be done by something bigger). After you've got enough matter for your planet, set some nanites loose on it, and program them to build the type of planet you want, complete with giant obelisk. Presto, one easy bake planet, terraform to your liking.
                              creating a star is probably easy. didn't the aschen in SG1 create a star or something. and the asgard "repaired" one. also if i remember correctly the Gaad'mer were "converting" a planet with their ship so it would be habitable for them. seeing that its probably safe to assume some civilization could build a solar system. the question is why? why build it and leave it untouched? why not seed life on it or inhabit it? thats the actually scary part if you ask me.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X