Chess and the show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chess and the show

Who else thinks that chess will become a significant part of the storytelling for Rush and Young in the future?

The fact that Rush is whittling chess pieces (from what wood, by the way?) gives him something to do for a while--but the slyly delivered "I like chess" from Young is what sold it for me. I'm convinced that they'll be playing games together in the future.

I predict tense conversations over a chess board in the future, who's with me?
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

I agree with you my friend.

But who'll be the "winner"?

It'll be interesting. maybe they can tie the game into actual episodes. Who controls the board? the ship.

Comment

I agree. And he got the wood from the supplies the shuttle brought back, I imagine.
      I'd like to see which one wins more games. Rush is probably more intelligent, but Young has his military experience. I really loved that scene between them. Again, Young was extending the olive branch, and this time Rush was kind (or surprised) enough not to throw it back in his face.

Comment

Originally posted by Daro View Post
        I agree. And he got the wood from the supplies the shuttle brought back, I imagine.
        I'd like to see which one wins more games. Rush is probably more intelligent, but Young has his military experience. I really loved that scene between them. Again, Young was extending the olive branch, and this time Rush was kind (or surprised) enough not to throw it back in his face.
        Its not really about inteligence but who has a more strategic mind. Personally I think thier chess matches would be tense
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

rush and young has always been a game of chess. and at the moment young is 1-0 (justice)
          https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
            Its not really about inteligence but who has a more strategic mind. Personally I think thier chess matches would be tense
            Yes. Rush is... intelligence. Young is military.

A difficult battle might erupt.

Comment

Nah. Young's 2-0 right now ("Justice" and "Divided")
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

The next episode might be a game changer though. if it's anything by the previews.

Comment

I see a lot of draws. Rush would sacrifice all of his pieces, and Young would try to win the game just using his king...

regards,
                  G.
                  Go for Marty...

Comment

theres absolutely no reason to believe that their behaviors would somehow cross over to chess. if they do, it would be a horrible cliche.
                    R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Comment

Originally posted by asdf1239 View Post
                      theres absolutely no reason to believe that their behaviors would somehow cross over to chess. if they do, it would be a horrible cliche.
                      bonding and togetherness and fighting over the game itself
                      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Don't assume Rush would be a better chess player due to his educational background, chess is taught in many military schools, so military officers are more likely to be above average players.

Comment

That's what I said, the IQ v. military thing.

And I don't think that having their real life tactics inform some of their methods in chess would be unrealistic. I am an avid board gamer, and I see my own personality influencing the way I play. Sometimes some things are a cliche because they're true.

Comment

I think Young might be lying, and just trying to create some good faith between the two of them. Wouldnt be surprised if he gets his ass handed to him by Rush

Comment

if they -have- to include it i pray that it be a little more subtle than some "windows into the mind" thing like young sticking to theory or rush playing unsound openings because of their different personalities.

and if anything, they should try to prevent their mindset from governing their play to avoid their opponent gaining insights about them if they do end up at odds again in a real life situation.
                              Last edited by asdf1239; 16 April 2010, 08:22 PM.
                              R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Comment

Working...
                              X