Atlantis' Stardrive = FTL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atlantis' Stardrive = FTL

In the Stargate Atlantis episode Critical Mass ( Season 2 - Episode 13 ) Mckay mentions to Faster Than Light ( FTL ).
    Mckay: " The stardrive capable of faster then light travel. " ( 34:00 - 35:00 )

I just wanted to share this with everyone cause I saw allot of posts on various forums asking where they got FTL from.
    Altho when you see Atlantis travel ( Stargate Atlantis - Season 5 - Episode 20 - Enemy at the Gate - 19:00-20:00 ) it doesn't look like Destiny's FTL.
    Just wanted to share this.

Atlantis uses wormhole drive, not stardrive in S05 E20. Stardrive is seen, for example, in Adrift and Lifeline (S04 E01-02).

Comment

Didn't refer to the wormhole drive, Atlantis was traveling through hyperspace at first before it burned out I guess.

Comment

Atlantis has a hyperdrive, if it was a totally different form of ftl (which just means faster then light.. so any method of travelling faster then light can be called this... even gate travel could probably be called ftl, Rush just hasn't come up with a name for the destinys drive yet).. anyway if it wasn't hyperdrive then it would have been mentioned plus none of the scientists on atlantis would have had a clue on where to start with it, it was wormhole drive in Enemy at the gate which I think we can all agree is the worst Deus Ex Machina ever done on Atlantis and they had a lot of them
        I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Faster Than Light (FTL) is a very generic term. Even though hyperspace still has the result of being faster than light, out of convention FTL is only used for whatever system Destiny uses. The rest of the ships in SG1 and SGA use hyperspace (and the wormhole drive in Enemy At The Gate for Atlantis).
          Carter: "The singularity is about to explode!"

Comment

stardrive is just what they refered to it in a few eps as it is more powerful than a regular hyperdrive

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
              stardrive is just what they refered to it in a few eps as it is more powerful than a regular hyperdrive
              Incorrect: the "stardrive" is Atlantis's sublight "rocket" engine. This can be seen in "First Strike":

WEIR (over comms): May I have your attention? As you all know, we have found ourselves in a spot of trouble. The reality is that no matter where we try to hide on this planet, the Replicator satellite will be able to track us. Therefore, Doctor McKay and Colonel Sheppard have come up with a rather ingenious way for us to escape the satellite’s range altogether. In the next few hours, we will fire the city’s stardrive and head into space. Atlantis is leaving this planet.
              (Above the planet, the asteroid intersects the beam, breaking its contact with the city below. The beam starts to carve into the rock, breaking large chunks off it. In the ocean below, the surface of the water becomes agitated as the city continues to rise. The top of the shield breaks the surface and the central tower rises into the daylight. A tidal wave travels away in all direction as the city lifts to the surface of the ocean.)

McKAY: We’re on the surface. Fire the stardrive.

(In the Chair Room, John concentrates. The ocean boils and steam rises as the stardrive fires up.)

McKAY: We’re not flying high enough. It’s stalling out!
              "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
              - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
              - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
              - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

perhaps stardrive refers to the whole system, hyperdrive included

Comment

Quotes or pics, or it didn't happen.
                  "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."

Comment

The city has sublights too, but I agree that the stardrive is a collective term for the thrusters used to lift the city into orbit, the sublights for manoeuvring in space and the hyperdrive for interstellar travel.

On a side note given the amount of trust that would needed to lift a multi-million ton city into orbit how is Atlantis not ripped apart in the process?
                    "So, what's your impression of Alar?"
                    "That he is concealing something."
                    "Like what?"
                    "I am unsure. He is concealing it."

"Well, according to Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity, there’s nothing in the laws of physics to prevent it. Extremely difficult to achieve, mind you – you need the technology to manipulate black holes to create wormholes not only through points in space but time."
                    "Not to mention a really nice DeLorean."
                    "Don’t even get me started on that movie!"
                    "I liked that movie!"

Comment

Originally posted by Control_Chair View Post
                      The city has sublights too, but I agree that the stardrive is a collective term for the thrusters used to lift the city into orbit, the sublights for manoeuvring in space and the hyperdrive for interstellar travel.
                      Again, quotes or didn't happen. As far as we know right now, the "stardrive" refers only to the city's main sublight engines (which appear to be used both for lift-off and for maneuvering in space).

Originally posted by Control_Chair View Post
                      On a side note given the amount of trust that would needed to lift a multi-million ton city into orbit how is Atlantis not ripped apart in the process?
                      Inertial dampers, most likely. That is to say, a system like the artificial gravity evenly distributes the force throughout the entirety of the city.

Comment

Stardrive and hyperspace is the same (in fact in early seasons of SG-1 they used the term hyperspeed) as it uses the same VFX for both. FTL is a general term for faster than light travel

Comment

FTL is faster than light travel. Hyperspace is FTL (which is what Atlantis uses) .

atlantis' stardrive is both a realspace engine and a hyperdrive in one device.

destiny has FTL which is called FTL since they haven't found out WHAT it is.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                            atlantis' stardrive is both a realspace engine and a hyperdrive in one device.
                            People keep saying that, but I have yet to see any statement from the show that actually supports this assertion.

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
                              Inertial dampers, most likely. That is to say, a system like the artificial gravity evenly distributes the force throughout the entirety of the city.
                              Interesting, but given how fragile Atlantis is said to be lifting her into orbit still should cause some damage to her superstructure. What if the stardrive also has an anti-gravity generator (like the Goa'uld anti-gravity platforms in Orpheus) to help lift the city into orbit.
                              "So, what's your impression of Alar?"
                              "That he is concealing something."
                              "Like what?"
                              "I am unsure. He is concealing it."

"Well, according to Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity, there’s nothing in the laws of physics to prevent it. Extremely difficult to achieve, mind you – you need the technology to manipulate black holes to create wormholes not only through points in space but time."
                              "Not to mention a really nice DeLorean."
                              "Don’t even get me started on that movie!"
                              "I liked that movie!"

Comment

Working...
                              X