No announcement yet.

What About Babies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My bizarre mind just started wondering "What would happen if they decided to send the baby back to earth via the LRC stones?" In other words, have the baby swap bodies with somebody back on earth.... That way the "baby" would at least be potty trained and be able to think for itself and take care of itself within it's physical limits, of course.

Now if I were really a cruel SOB I'd say swap the baby with Telford. Would be hilariously appropriate on both fronts.

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin's_Legacy View Post
      Now if I were really a cruel SOB I'd say swap the baby with Telford. Would be hilariously appropriate on both fronts.
      Umm. Not sure what to say to that! And if Emily is shagging Telford, then it would definately be awkward for the next romp, when her mind is filled with having seen him as a baby the day before or whatever.
      My Life Motto: There are no wrong roads in life just paths that lead to unexpected Adventures.
      "Ago simplex sic alius may simplex ago" - Live simply, so other's may simply live - Ghandi

Comment

Spoiler:
        Oh thats great! I didn't know the actress was pregnant. Hopefully the character will just misscarry and stargate can remain child free! I can't stand child characters unless they are just one episode characters.
        sigpicSGU PARTY AT MY PLACE!!

Comment

Originally posted by Taiko
          Their birth control is more likely to be of the 5 year norplant implants or relatively indefinite IUDs rather then a few month supply of pills or single use condoms
          I agree. If you're a woman and away for a long period of time, like on Icarus base or what have you, it only sensible to get a contraceptive implant.
          sigpic
          http://annorasponderings.tumblr.com/
          http://circumvented.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Taiko View Post
            These are not just random women LOST on an airplane flight from Australia to America. They were recruited and accepted an assignment to get on a starship and fly to Icarus for who knows how long. Their birth control is more likely to be of the 5 year norplant implants or relatively indefinite IUDs rather then a few month supply of pills or single use condoms
            Icarus base had a Stargate. We know Eli and Chloe arrived by a starship, maybe to make the experience something even more spectacular and because they were in no hurry, but I find it likely that many other civilians arrived by Stargate and were only visiting the base. They just didn't act like they were going to spent a long time far from home but like they were visiting the neighbors and going back to home soon.

Also the base was supplied from Earth so I don't see why they couldn't send pills among other stuff. After all, no one planned to end up stuck on Destiny and the possible dangers the crew thought likely didn't make them think their birth control during the situation

Of course I can be wrong but this it the feeling I had when people were dining before the whole mess begin I'd love to know more - it is a bit irritating how little we know of Icarus base, what the crew members were doing on it etc! And not only to speculate the birth control methods the women on board use

Comment

Originally posted by FromOutside View Post
              Icarus base had a Stargate. We know Eli and Chloe arrived by a starship, maybe to make the experience something even more spectacular and because they were in no hurry, but I find it likely that many other civilians arrived by Stargate and were only visiting the base. They just didn't act like they were going to spent a long time far from home but like they were visiting the neighbors and going back to home soon.

Also the base was supplied from Earth so I don't see why they couldn't send pills among other stuff. After all, no one planned to end up stuck on Destiny and the possible dangers the crew thought likely didn't make them think their birth control during the situation

Of course I can be wrong but this it the feeling I had when people were dining before the whole mess begin I'd love to know more - it is a bit irritating how little we know of Icarus base, what the crew members were doing on it etc! And not only to speculate the birth control methods the women on board use
              The Icarus Base stargate was configured to only dial out because of the danger posed by the core. I agree that most people didn't believe that they would be staying that long. For those stationed on the base, perhaps whatever method they used was in their quarters as they wouldn't expect to be having sexual relations if they were only off-world for a short time? If SGU is taking place in our current time, implantable BC is definitely possible but how prevalent would it be?
              sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
                The Icarus Base stargate was configured to only dial out because of the danger posed by the core. I agree that most people didn't believe that they would be staying that long. For those stationed on the base, perhaps whatever method they used was in their quarters as they wouldn't expect to be having sexual relations if they were only off-world for a short time? If SGU is taking place in our current time, implantable BC is definitely possible but how prevalent would it be?
                Oh? That explains many things I admit, I knitted through the first episode and missed that explanation

Because I haven't got a life I did some not that fast googling and found out many... lets say, interesting facts of birth control (or lack of) in USA.

I also found what I was searching:

Method used % of women

Oral contraceptives 45%
                Injectable contraceptive 17%
                Condom 13%
                No method 7%
                Unknown 4%
                Pregnant 5%
                Sterilization 3%
                Other 2%
                Spermicidal foam; contraceptive film 1%
                IUD 1%
                Hormone implant 0%
                Cervical cap 0%
                Natural methods 0%
                Diaphragm 0%

This is a copy paste from http://www.religioustolerance.org/abo_contra.htm but it says the data is from Family Planning Annual Report: 2001 Summary, http://www.agi-usa.org/pubs/FPAR2001.pdf (page 31). I checked some numbers and they mached.

Anyway, injections and implants don't seem to be very popular in USA. Ofc this likely isn't similar than the statistics on Destiny would be but I think I gives some solid ground for speculations

Comment

Oh? That explains many things I admit, I knitted through the first episode and missed that explanation

Because I haven't got a life I did some not that fast googling and found out many... lets say, interesting facts of birth control (or lack of) in USA.

I also found what I was searching:

Method used % of women

Oral contraceptives 45%
                  Condom 13%
                  No method 7%
                  Unknown 4%
                  Pregnant 5%
                  Sterilization 3%
                  Other 2%
                  Spermicidal foam; contraceptive film 1%
                  IUD 1%
                  Hormone implant 0%
                  Cervical cap 0%
                  Natural methods 0%
                  Diaphragm 0%

This is a copy paste from http://www.religioustolerance.org/abo_contra.htm but it says the data is from Family Planning Annual Report: 2001 Summary, http://www.agi-usa.org/pubs/FPAR2001.pdf (page 31). I checked some numbers and they mached.

Anyway, injections and implants don't seem to be very popular in USA. Ofc this likely isn't similar than the statistics on Destiny would be but I think I gives some solid ground for speculations
                  Sterilization 3%
                  IUD 1%
                  Hormone implant 0%

so, for women using BC at all, the women using a method that is likely to last for any length of time runs around 18%. We can hope that the military is more pragmatic about this problem and that female soldiers are using an injectible form but that's only a hope on my part. It still doesn't include the scientific segment.

Eith TJ finds some sort of plant based contraceptive or stress/diet will keep pregnancy down, or we're going to have babies everywhere. I don't look forward to a Young briefing in the gateroom or wherever about the importance of not getting pregnant,
                  sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Just like to add a thought here - it seems that a lot are assuming that the women are using some type of contraceptive, what if she decides she does not want to pollute her body with chemicals, and wants her body to run as it should without intervention from drugs. And I really don't think the army can tell their female solders that they have to have a needle just to control conception.

I think the whole idea would be interesting as one can expect issues to occur when living in confined space, and having children around should make the adults behave a lot better because they have to look to the future of not only themselves but the next generation.

Spoiler:
                    But after yesterdays episode, it will be interesting to see what happens.
                    I came, I saw, I conquered!
                    sigpic
                    We are unique! Created unique!
                    Sevenofnine

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
                      I don't look forward to a Young briefing in the gateroom or wherever about the importance of not getting pregnant,
                      I'd love to see it

Originally posted by Sevenofnine View Post
                      Just like to add a thought here - it seems that a lot are assuming that the women are using some type of contraceptive, what if she decides she does not want to pollute her body with chemicals, and wants her body to run as it should without intervention from drugs. And I really don't think the army can tell their female solders that they have to have a needle just to control conception.

I think the whole idea would be interesting as one can expect issues to occur when living in confined space, and having children around should make the adults behave a lot better because they have to look to the future of not only themselves but the next generation.
                      I don't feel that Destiny is that much confined space. The ship is huge even with the limitations of accessibility, the crew members are few and people have their own rooms. Either than that, I don't argue I'd like to see children on board. The responsibility, practical problems... If it is going to be about usual people battling with the hostile environment, there should be children. They are a big part of life when it comes to the 'normal people'.

The ones who don't want to have drugs would likely just use barrier methods if they have no beliefs that don't allow then to use birth control. I'd love to see these people (the ones with the beliefs that is) on board too but I don't think we ever will because the subject is politically difficult from many angles. (Which is exactly why I want to see it dealt with )

Comment

I'd love to see it

I don't feel that Destiny is that much confined space. The ship is huge even with the limitations of accessibility, the crew members are few and people have their own rooms. Either than that, I don't argue I'd like to see children on board. The responsibility, practical problems... If it is going to be about usual people battling with the hostile environment, there should be children. They are a big part of life when it comes to the 'normal people'.

The ones who don't want to have drugs would likely just use barrier methods if they have no beliefs that don't allow then to use birth control. I'd love to see these people (the ones with the beliefs that is) on board too but I don't think we ever will because the subject is politically difficult from many angles. (Which is exactly why I want to see it dealt with )
                        Stargate doesn't have a record of tackling political issues that aren't already dead and settled, like slavery. That said, it doesn't mean they can't start. I just don't see it being terribly likely.

Comment

Originally posted by phoenixfangor View Post
                          Stargate doesn't have a record of tackling political issues that aren't already dead and settled, like slavery. That said, it doesn't mean they can't start. I just don't see it being terribly likely.
                          I doubt it as well. Just look at the flak they took for daring to add some sex into the show? Imagine the howling masses for daring to include topical poilitics!
                          sigpic
                          http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

I like the whole "oh crap, I'm pregnant, and its complicated" storyline. It is reality. (Yep, I am pregnant and it, too is complicated right now).

Real life is messy! I am glad they get into all that on the show.

And, not every woman, (me for example) can use a hormonal type of birth control. They make me violently ill. I tried many others before I resorted to more permanent tubal ligation 12 years ago when my youngest child was born. Imagine my surprise to find myself pregnant in my 40's! single, and the man is...yep...married. Don't judge...it would take a week to give the back story so folks could understand.

I find myself having quite a bit in common with TJ (except the whole stuck in the far corners of space part and hopefully NOT getting shot!)

Comment

Working...
                            X