Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Young is the good guy. Why the majority think different?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alterus View Post
    That technically didn’t suit the IOA when Sam was in charge of Atlantis, it was made pretty apparent that they didn’t want a Military officer in charge so I fail to see how they can tolerate Young muscling his way into becoming de facto head of the Destiny Expedition.
    This is an unpopular opinion, but I agree 100% with them for Sam. I always found she was a terrible leader and her acting was out of character. She kept second-guessing every single decision including her own, and acted on impulsion and emotion most of the time.

The IOA is looking for the perfect puppet and never seem satisfied with the leader in place, which is kind of ironic since they are supposed to provide OVERSIGHT, not run the show. They wanted Woolsey in, they got it, then they wanted him out, the Asian lady came in, they betrayed her for some other random candidate which resulted in an A+ to Dick's evaluation. I think Woolsey was the best fit (once he came around). Rational, sometimes cold, yet lenient enough to adapt of the reality in the Pegasus galaxy. He was my favorite out of all the Atlantis Commanders.

As for Young, what exactly do you expect the crooks from the IOA to do about it? It's not like any representative can be sent to the ship, it's all talk. Young didn't muscle his way in, he was trapped on the ship like everybody else and I do not see in this expedition anybody else that could stand up to take his place. If you recall, Young didn't even want the Icarus command in the first place. Wray definitely doesn't have the respect from all members of the crew, unlike Young (at the end of s2 when they got their sh*t together).

The day-to-day survival situation on Destiny calls for a military commander, not a civilian. Most importantly, the crew needs someone that can keep Rush in check.
    Spoiler:
    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Alterus View Post
      That technically didn’t suit the IOA when Sam was in charge of Atlantis, it was made pretty apparent that they didn’t want a Military officer in charge so I fail to see how they can tolerate Young muscling his way into becoming de facto head of the Destiny Expedition.
      It didn't originally work for them with the SGC either, but they eased up on their idea of using a civilian as a check on the U.S. military with O'neill and continued to do so when Landry was brought in to replace him, even after they started funding the Stargate Program. There is no consistency here because it's a complicated political back and forth between international powers and the U.S. government, which we are only partially privy to. The U.S. government has, as of Sg-1's season 10, restricted access to weapons technology that comes out of the Stargate Program and, in doing so, twisted the meaning of an earlier agreement. The U.S., however, needs the International community to keep paying to help them get this technology and needs to keep them from going public, so they will make concessions on a case by case basis to keep them appeased.

Atlantis is a huge operation that is consistently funneling new technology and technology related data back to Earth and for that reason the IOA wants someone they think they can control in a position of overall authority. Weir turned out to be more independent than liked, but her effectiveness made it hard to oust her. Carter was a temporary ceding of power to the U.S. military while they were fearful of a replicator attack. Woolsey was supposed to be the biggest possible puppet to fill the role with, but that too didn't work out for them.

I don't know what the behind the scenes wrangling was for the Icarus Project. Maybe the IOA intended to repeat their Atlantis model and put someone they thought they could control in a position of power over Telford when putting together the real team. Maybe that changed when the wrong people went through because the Destiny turned out to be less important than they hoped it to be, maybe it changed because as long as Young and co were trapped there was no money to pour into upkeep so they didn't have leverage over the U.S., maybe it changed because putting Wray, who led an insurrection without any authority to do, was not a preferable alternative to Young when the point of a civilian expedition leader is to have someone the IOA can control, or maybe it was never part of the plan because the U.S. won this one, perhaps because they had placated the Chinese to some degree by previously giving up a 304, and they were milking that one for everything it was worth, down to who would be in charge of the Destiny expedition. I have no idea. All I know is that, as far as I can remember, there was never any attempt by the IOA to install an existing crew member above Young, so they either let this one go for whatever reason or they tried it, but lost when the U.S. insisted that the crew needed a military commander.

Comment

Working...
      X