This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost episodes that aren't on the Lost in Time set

Does anyone know what the story with MIA episodes that aren't on the Lost in Time set is? There's still a few of stories out there that are missing an episode or two:

1.08 "The Reign of Terror" (6-parter, missing parts 4 and 5)
    4.02 "The Tenth Planet" (4-parter, missing part 4--the episode with William Hartnell's regeneration)
    5.03 "The Ice Warriors" (6-parter, missing parts 2 and 3)

I wonder--is this because they were unavailable at the time of Lost in Time's production, or are they holding out hope that the missing episodes will resurface for these stories?
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

I've been wondering about this myself. The BBC seems to have abandoned production of classic episodes on DVD and instead are uploading them for streaming viewing.

For example:
    The Sensorites has no missing episodes and was released on VHS some years ago. The BBC know this but instead of releasing in onto DVD, they have uploaded the whole serial onto their official YouTube channel.

If they continue to follow this pattern, then the classic episodes that you mentioned above may be up on YouTube sometime in the future, which is a shame because then that would mean that completionists won't be able to complete their DVD collection.

I know that is not possible because of the actuall missing eipsodes from the William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton eras, but at atleast the release of incomplete serials gives the feeling of DVD completetion, .
    Teselecta: "Silence will fall when the question is asked."

Doctor: "And what is the question?"

Teselecta: "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

Doctor: " *Brainfart* ".

Comment

They're still releasing the dvd's but at a slower pace than they were doing because they're most likely sorting out the dvds for series 5. But releasing episodes on youtube just makes good sense. It means that they can gauge roughly how popular a story will be so they can either adjust their release date, alter the price or choose to release it later.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Indeed. For R1, there are 3 releases scheduled for May and 4 for July (5 if you count Space Museum and The Chase as separate stories even though they're being boxed together).

I'll be rather upset if they stop releasing them on DVD. They've done so many that it would seem like such a waste to stop without finishing. Plus, it'd enrage the completionist in me
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Working...
        X