Fifth Doctor = Peter Davison
      Sixth Doctor = Colin Baker
      Seventh Doctor = Sylvester McCoy
      Eighth Doctor = Paul McGann
      Ninth Doctor = Chris Eccleston
      Tenth Doctor = David Tennant
      Eleventh Doctor = David Tennant
      Twelfth Doctor = Matt Smith

The first incarnation does not disqualify him from having a numerical prefix.

still makes one more to go, makes perfect sense

Comment

Originally posted by nsbezzerz View Post
        I would just like to point out to all of you people who are arguing over whether this is the last doctor or not that BBC admits that they are making The Doctor immortal. "Edict that Time Lords can regenerate only 12 times before they die has been quietly ditched." They are going to continue to make as many Doctors as they so choose or until the show dies which will most likely never happen.

But just to clarify, Matt Smith is the eleventh doctor according to BBC. Thank you.
        Just found this forum and have enjoyed reading the speculation. I thought I would add my take on it.

TimeLords are not immortal (otherwise they would not have lost the Time War and you would not have had House boast to the Doctor that it had killed hundreds of them) the Regeneration however is not a guaranteed thing. Presumably this simply means that the death has to be slow enough for the process to kick in. The Doctor tends to get poisoned a lot, the switch from 6 to 7 is the odd one where he appears to have fallen off an exercise bike. Instant "Battlefield" death is for real.

The number of re-generations is a strange one. Gallifreyan law and custom clearly prescribes 12 but neither the Doctor nor the Master have ever cared much for those boundaries. Matt Smith habitually refers to himself as the Eleventh so the partial regen of Journey's end cannot be counted no more than when River Song used regen energy to save 11 after poisoning him with a substance that blocked the re-gen process in his own body. It also gave him an undefined number of extra re-gens

**Spec and spoilers TNOTD/50th Anniversary Special-Bagpuss**
        Spoiler:
        The John Hurt one is clearly a nod to the Valeyard story which from the hints will be fascinating.
        Last edited by Bagpuss; 20 May 2013, 05:51 AM. Reason: Tag applied.

Comment

I Have the Answer, "Regeneration" he was returned to full health using (regeneration) regardless of weather or not he took a new body, he still regenerated. he cheated the cycle and made the new body an optional extra that understandably he opted out of but here is my Point;

He, Regenerated if it made a difference if he had a new Body or not, it would be called reincarnation The Doctor entered his (Regenerative Cycle) there for he used one of his twelve regenerations meaning, he has one regeneration remaining But I must Agree Matt Smith is 11th incarnation, if anyone dis-agrees with that I want a reasoned argument documenting why you think I am wrong.

I Hope this Answers Your Question,

Regards, Ben

Comment

I Dis-Agree the doctor is portrayed as honourable and not brake the rules set forth by his people so that they die like everyone else I think he will regenerate one last time and then he will accept he must die just think we will be alive/interested to see it and come on it'll be amazing stop trying to drag it out doctor who is getting more and more farthetched as technology progresses, Fact Excuse Spelling

Comment

I completely agree with you that's the simple way of putting it he now has one left

Comment

I assumed Matt is the 11th Doctor - but the 12th Regeneration of the form. This referring to the fact that he'd done something terrible and had to renounce the name of The Doctor.

Comment

Working...
                X