Eli and the military personal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeffala View Post
    And probably why he wasn't the one who was supposed to go and lead the mission.
    Actually... Young was the first choice, but didn't want to go. So they got Telford instead. It's mentioned/explained in the first episodes.

Of course, from what we've seen of Lou Diamond Phillips' character, he wouldn't have made a very good leader, either.
    Uhmmm, no comment, let's get back on topic.
    A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

Of course, from what we've seen of Lou Diamond Phillips' character, he wouldn't have made a very good leader, either.
      Agree ! Young is not the best leader .. but at list is better than Telford .
      Watching SGA and SGU

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeLegate View Post
        I am just waiting for Eli to reach his breaking point and go off on them all, that would be a fun rant to watch.
        I would hope eli would finally grow a backbone, rather tha just walk off in a huff. BUT from how i have perceived him to date, that is what i see him doing when he hits that spot.

I still hope that next time he yells at a scientist like that they'll tell him to come fix it himself. I was glad when Eli told him he shouldn't have left Rush behind in Space. Too bad Eli seemed to have lost that backbone in Divided.
        That would be great..
        Young to eli "Well fix it already"
        Eli to young "If you think it is that easy, why don't you get your ass over here and do it yourself~!"

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
          That would be great..
          Young to eli "Well fix it already"
          Eli to young "If you think it is that easy, why don't you get your ass over here and do it yourself~!"
          The problem with the logic here is that Eli, Rush, and the other scientists seem to exist for little more than figuring things out (with the exceptions that Rush exists to be untrustworthy and get people killed-the guy who sat in the chair-and the Eli is also the ship's Spymaster). It's what they do. If they weren't needed to figure things out, they wouldn't be on the show or they'd be just be another Chloe.

Comment

I am just waiting for Eli to reach his breaking point and go off on them all, that would be a fun rant to watch.
            indeed and david blue can pull it off
            https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

"Excuse me Eli I was just wondering if it wasn't too much trouble, do you mind having a look at this and trying to get it working again?" Do people really think something like this should have been said?

There is nothing wrong with the orders given by Young. He was acting in an autocratic leadership situation, which does not allow for subordinates to be babied. Orders are given in a short, sharp and shiny manner to get the job done in a situation where time is usually of the essence. If Eli felt agrieved because Young didn't say please then he needs to grow a pair.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
                "Excuse me Eli I was just wondering if it wasn't too much trouble, do you mind having a look at this and trying to get it working again?" Do people really think something like this should have been said?

There is nothing wrong with the orders given by Young. He was acting in an autocratic leadership situation, which does not allow for subordinates to be babied. Orders are given in a short, sharp and shiny manner to get the job done in a situation where time is usually of the essence. If Eli felt agrieved because Young didn't say please then he needs to grow a pair.
                Yes.

Comment

Hollering "Fix it!" at someone who was in the process of attempting to do so and who is clearly not anywhere near being expert enough to just punch the right buttons isn't "giving orders". It's losing self-control, it's showing an utter lack of respect and, above all, a complete and total ignorance of the situation. Nobody has ever said that Eli should be babied, that would be ludicrous, but Young's treatment of him is far from acceptable. He's not a magician, this isn't SGA where yelling is the best way to get the scientist to pull their arses out of the fire at the last second, he's an MIT dropout doing his best to learn what he can as quickly as he can.

Yes, Eli needs to grow a pair, but Young needs to gain at least the most basic understanding of how science works if he thinks he will ever be anywhere near capable of commanding the science crew on the ship.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
                    Hollering "Fix it!" at someone who was in the process of attempting to do so and who is clearly not anywhere near being expert enough to just punch the right buttons isn't "giving orders". It's losing self-control, it's showing an utter lack of respect and, above all, a complete and total ignorance of the situation. Nobody has ever said that Eli should be babied, that would be ludicrous, but Young's treatment of him is far from acceptable. He's not a magician, this isn't SGA where yelling is the best way to get the scientist to pull their arses out of the fire at the last second, he's an MIT dropout doing his best to learn what he can as quickly as he can.

Yes, Eli needs to grow a pair, but Young needs to gain at least the most basic understanding of how science works if he thinks he will ever be anywhere near capable of commanding the science crew on the ship.
                    Young does need to wisen up. By his ignorance, the only scientist he has control over is Eli, which may force Eli to produce results in some situations that he might not have otherwise. In this episode, the pressure shows as Eli is unable to commit to a decision of what to do. His lack of confidence should be something he works on (the balls thing) and something Young is aware of. Meanwhile, Young should, as you say, learn something about science. Before, he had Sgt. Riley to kind of act as a go-between. But Riley has been out for a while now.

While Young is unable to communicate effectively with the science team, he'll never be able to interact with most of them except through Rush. Which means he'll be blindsided again if Rush pulls one of his tricks.

Comment

Originally posted by Lahela View Post

Liked the SGA line... nice. Perhaps some common ground where Young tones it down a little and Eli grows a pair would be the most efficient way for them to work.

They do expect a lot from Eli given his credentials, but perhaps it is because he has shown himself to be a much better problem solver than those with the credentials on board. What he doesn't have, is the experience of working under stressful environments. To put it simply, Young has thrown him in the deep end and he is going to sink or swim. So far he is keeping his head above water, barely!
                      sigpic

Comment

Liked the SGA line... nice.
                        It was just a comparison of the different ways they work in the different shows. No offense was intended to anyone, or to SGA (which, I'm sure you'll recall, I loved).

Perhaps some common ground where Young tones it down a little and Eli grows a pair would be the most efficient way for them to work.

They do expect a lot from Eli given his credentials, but perhaps it is because he has shown himself to be a much better problem solver than those with the credentials on board. What he doesn't have, is the experience of working under stressful environments. To put it simply, Young has thrown him in the deep end and he is going to sink or swim. So far he is keeping his head above water, barely!
                        Yes, he's shown that he is able to solve problems by approaching them differently to the way others might, what he doesn't have is any experience with Ancient systems other than what he saw in a video game, or the education necessary to adequately do the job Young has lumbered him with. He's essentially the work-experience kid, learning on the job under very trying circumstances.
                        Last edited by Lahela; 16 April 2010, 03:00 AM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Phenom,

When Young says something like, "Fix it." It implies the person he's talking to wasn't already trying to do that anyway. It's an unnessesary order. Saying something like, "Can you fix it?" puts a non-military person in a better frame of mind regarding the commander. None of the Scientists on the Destiny are stupid. If they're in a firefight and the weapons or shields cut out telling them to "Fix it" is completely unnecessary. I imagine they're working on just that as quickly as they can. They aren't robots waiting for the proper command sequence to get started on their assigned tasks.
                          All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

a second yessing for this

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
                            Phenom,

When Young says something like, "Fix it." It implies the person he's talking to wasn't already trying to do that anyway. It's an unnessesary order. Saying something like, "Can you fix it?" puts a non-military person in a better frame of mind regarding the commander. None of the Scientists on the Destiny are stupid. If they're in a firefight and the weapons or shields cut out telling them to "Fix it" is completely unnecessary. I imagine they're working on just that as quickly as they can. They aren't robots waiting for the proper command sequence to get started on their assigned tasks.
                            Ever tried to fix something for someone who really needs that something fixed but they have no way to a) do it themselves or b) really understand what you're doing?

I have, and I'm sure anyone that's ever done any sort of consulting or support work would know what this is like.

The person you're dealing with really has no idea what you're doing. They don't know how it works. But they badly need it to work. Maybe they've just lost all their files and it's needed for their work, but they're scared and out of control of the situation. So I get it, on both sides. Young needs something to be done that he isn't capable of doing himself. He absolutely needs it, and the only person he's got is Eli. I didn't see it as ordering or demanding, I saw it, from my own experience, as a sort of desperation. So I get it. I'm glad Eli snapped back at him though but I'm even more pleased that he didn't get all whiny and stop working but kept doing what it is that he does well.
                            sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Young is aware of these thing. And if you recall he said in Air "If we are to survive this, he is going to need every one to step up." He is still trying to feel out what there all capable of. After all it is like he said " this isn't boot camp, in boot camp you get a second chance to correct your mistakes". And about using Eli to spy on every one, given recent event do you still think he was wrong. They mutinied.This reminds me a few day ago some idiot was saying how the NYPD was going overboard with the Anti Terrorist Tact training that been going on here in NY. A few day later some terrorist get caught with plans to attack the subway. Do think they where over reacting are thinking thing through. I'm sure the civilians wont feel that way when the smurfs get there hands on one of them and tries to prob there back door, then they'll be screaming for a military rescue. They have better hope they don't hold a grudge for locking them up on the other side of the ship with no supplies. After all that gonna be the end result of all this infighting.

Comment

"The sea is emotion incarnate. It loves, hates, & weeps. It defies all attempts to capture it with words and rejects all shackles. No matter what you say about it, there is always that which you can't."
                                -Brom in Eragon

Comment

Working...
                                X