Power should be shared

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power should be shared

What is it with people? Both factions here on Gateworld seem to think that only "their" side deserves to command the ship. It's All Wrush vs. Young, all the time.

Am I the only one advocating compromise?

Undeniable facts:
    * Despite Young many crimes and flaws, he is still, according to the show and characters at least, a brilliant strategist, military commander and soldier. As such, he is still the person most fit to run the military operations on-board the ship.
    * Despite Eli's and Young's best efforts and Rush's Machiavellian tendencies, Rush remains the ship's foremost expert on Ancient technology, technology in general and just science in general. Eli will need quite some time, maybe years, before he catches up.
    * We don't know much about Wray, but we know that the civilians trust her and look up to her, that they obey and listen to her, that they have faith in her judgment.
    * Power should be shared. One ruler is a dictatorship.

So... why not put it up to a general election? Or at least make the suggestion and then have the general populus vote on it.

The Destiny should be ruled by committee. What committee? Rush - Wray - Young - maybe more people if needed. Rush would get the science department, seeing as that's what he does best. Young would get the military department, seeing as that's what he does best and Wray gets the rest (the "civilian" part, minus the science).

This way, the power is shared, so it is no longer a dictatorship. Any major decision will have to be brought up to the other members before it is carried out and a member's major decision can be vetoed if a majority of the rest of the committee votes them down. This prevents any of the members of the committee to rule their department like a dictator. By splitting up the power and responsibilities, it will make the running of the ship more efficient.

Young will have more time for rest and recreation, making him less stressed. He will also have more time to plan and run the military operations of the ship, thus making it more efficient and, well, well-planned. Rush, well, Rush finally gets to run the science department, but still under the supervision of the other members of the committee. The civilians trust Wray. Therefore, the civilians would no longer have any reason to fear or loathe the military if Wray got some of the cake. She'll get everything that isn't military or scientific. She can help delegate tasks in the mess, the general maintenance of the ship, etc.

By doing this, it will help address the tension that has arisen. The civilians will be appeased, their respective candidates for command both get in on it and the military is confined to what they do best: military operations. The civilians would no longer have any reason to hate the military because they only hate the military at the moment because of Young's actions in general and the fact that the military runs everything in particular.

Shared power makes for less chance of corruption, overwork and stress. So why, not, people? Why not simply try to make the best of the situation, even after "Divided", and share the power?

Young left Rush to die on a planet
    Rush tried to frame Young for murder
    Wray most likely knew Young was framed and helped organise a mutiny.

I don't think any of them are particularly fit to run anything on Destiny.

Comment

Originally posted by Sami_ View Post
      Young left Rush to die on a planet
      Rush tried to frame Young for murder
      Wray most likely knew Young was framed and helped organise a mutiny.

I don't think any of them are particularly fit to run anything on Destiny.
      Not alone. But together, they are, unfortunately, current the most fit for the job. Because who else can you see running the ship?

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
        Not alone. But together, they are, unfortunately, current the most fit for the job. Because who else can you see running the ship?
        Chloe ... sorry I just had too say it!
        Lord Zedd

Comment

Spoiler:
          "we're taking this ship" - todd
          R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Zedd View Post
            "Oh hey, a black hole. I think we should walk steer the ship towards it!"

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Zedd View Post
              oh its gonna happen, id follow her orders

Comment

i think Young should be in command, but Wray should control the civil aspect. like, the food et all.

Comment

I actually suggested something like this in another thread. It is what they SHOULD do, but no one's smart enough to do it. Generally speaking, Wray should be the one making the majority of the decisions. But, if it has something to do with the military personnel or smurfs attack or something, Young should be in charge of that aspect. And they should BOTH be doing whatever Rush says whenever it has something to do with Destiny.None of them COULD lead everyone alone. Rush knows the most about Destiny, but nothing about being a leader or about military tactics. Young knows a lot about military tactics but nothing about Destiny or how to not be an a-hole. Wray is respected by most of the people on the ship so she could lead, but she knows nothing about Destiny or military decision-making. All this fighting to be the 'one true leader' is ridiculous.

So basically I'm saying the same thing that the original creator of this thread is saying, only with some slight differences of my own.

Does anyone agree with all of this though?
                  Last edited by Byakuya Truelight; 12 April 2010, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Byakuya Truelight View Post
                    I actually suggested something like this in another thread. It is what they SHOULD do, but no one's smart enough to do it. Generally speaking, Wray should be the one making the majority of the decisions. But, if it has something to do with the military personnel or smurfs attack or something, Young should be in charge of that aspect. And they should BOTH be doing whatever Rush says whenever it has something to do with Destiny.None of them COULD lead everyone alone. Rush knows the most about Destiny, but nothing about being a leader or about military tactics. Young knows a lot about military tactics but nothing about Destiny or how to not be an a-hole. Wray is respected by most of the people on the ship so she could lead, but she knows nothing about Destiny or military decision-making. All this fighting to be the 'one true leader' is ridiculous.

So basically I'm saying the same thing that the original creator of this thread is saying, only with some slight differences of my own.

Does anyone agree with all of this though?
                    i dont, destiny isnt a colony, it was an evac site, they could get home in a week and they would prefer to bicker amongst themselves

Comment

Am I the only one advocating compromise?
                      Actually, quite a few of us have done just that in various threads.
                      I totally agree that each faction has their obvious leader and those three leaders should work together for the good of all on board.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                        i dont, destiny isnt a colony, it was an evac site, they could get home in a week and they would prefer to bicker amongst themselves
                        1) It's both a colony and an evacuation site. Also, just because it's an evacuation site doesn't automatically make it a military-only operation.
                        2) They can't get home in a week. That point has been driven over abundantly clearly.

Comment

1) It's both a colony and an evacuation site. Also, just because it's an evacuation site doesn't automatically make it a military-only operation.
                          2) They can't get home in a week. That point has been driven over abundantly clearly.
                          its a united states air force evac site, therefore military jurisdiction. they dont knwo that they cant get home soon, their characters on a tv show, only we know that they wont be home anytime soon.

Comment

its a united states air force evac site, therefore military jurisdiction. they dont knwo that they cant get home soon, their characters on a tv show, only we know that they wont be home anytime soon.
                            Or, it's an IOA-controlled scientific research outpost evac site.
                            Last edited by Lahela; 12 April 2010, 12:54 AM. Reason: typo
                            sigpic

Comment

Icarus Base was an IOA operation with the USAF serving as their armed guard.

Comment

Working...
                              X