TJ ordering the gun put down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wayston View Post
    dead wray - either Young gets officially relieved through IOA pressure as a compromise between IOA and US military or the IOA disavows wray as the US military controls the stargate and most of the spaceships, that is apart from providing invaluable services on the ground; presumably a bit of both solutions so everyone saves face. What they would not do is blow up their cooperation over something inconsequential as something happening millions of lightyears away in a group of people they have probably already written off
    The U.S. military doesn't "control" anything. They are allowed to access and operate the SGC, the ships, etc. Since several years back, the IOA controls everything. Remember the incident where the IOA threatened to give the Stargate to the Chinese? They can really do that. If the U.S. military allows Young to commit actual murder on a fairly innocent fellow crew member, yet retain his command, the IOA will swoop in and not only stop funding American SG-related projects but actually take them away and give them to other countries.

The Stargate program hasn't been in the control of the U.S. military for over half a decade now.

dead chloe - if the senator's wife goes public she'll be ridiculed as a crazy drunk person having lost it over the death of her husband and daughter, or better yet it could be played that she lost it and shot them herself over some paranoid delusions
    1) There are already people suspicious of the many mysterious incidents that have occurred every single time an alien has attacked Earth. There are already people out there who believe these things. And I bet she's got some proof on her side as well.
    2) Yes, because assassinating her is the right thing to do.

note that I'm not advocating their deaths, simply stating that they're pretty expendable when push comes to shove
    Not through deliberate murder.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
      The U.S. military doesn't "control" anything. They are allowed to access and operate the SGC, the ships, etc. Since several years back, the IOA controls everything. Remember the incident where the IOA threatened to give the Stargate to the Chinese? They can really do that. If the U.S. military allows Young to commit actual murder on a fairly innocent fellow crew member, yet retain his command, the IOA will swoop in and not only stop funding American SG-related projects but actually take them away and give them to other countries.

The Stargate program hasn't been in the control of the U.S. military for over half a decade now.
      I have to say I missed some episodes due to being in college and still haven't come around to watch them, but I don't recall the US military ever abandoning its ownership of the stargate and daedalus program. As I understand it the IOA is a committee which receives oversight in these programs in return for funding. But they don't own the stargate (that's either the americans or the russians (in which case the US and not the IOA is renting it), depending on what the details are of the korolev starship deal) nor the battleships themselves. They do run the atlantis expedition (not just oversight) and the battlefleet missions apparantly. The IOA could screw the US in terms of funding. The US could screw the IOA by pulling out their toys (which would leave the IOA with the badly damaged chinese ship and some space debris formerly known as the korolev). It all comes down to money methinks.

1) There are already people suspicious of the many mysterious incidents that have occurred every single time an alien has attacked Earth. There are already people out there who believe these things. And I bet she's got some proof on her side as well.
      no there's no proof, it all went poof. hihi.

2) Yes, because assassinating her is the right thing to do.
      eh?

Not through deliberate murder.
      hey if you gotta go, you gotta go
      Last edited by Wayston; 15 April 2010, 06:58 AM.
      I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

Comment

I wasn't too surprised that she ordered the airman to stand down, however, she did not say to surrender the weapon so I was kinda' surprised at how that turned out. To be honest, TJ and the airman would likely not need a weapon to put down the insurrection.

It could be viewed that the airman holding the weapon on the civilians was doing so not so much to protect himself (which he was doing) but rather to keep them at a distance so he would not have to apply physical force to defend himself. And I believe it would have gone very badly for the civilians.

When the scene starts, TJ is being guided by Volker and Brody to somewhere (to be honest, she could probably have overpowered both of them assuming that neither of them is secretly Bruce Lee). They meet up with the airman who is faced off against three civilians, none of whom are armed, all of whom he could likely take out without breaking too much of a sweat. When Wray and her companions arrive on the scene they could have been taken out as quickly. Right there you have 8 of the civilian insurgents and their primary leader taken out. All they would have had to do is find Rush. Game over.

regards,
        G.
        Last edited by Gollumpus; 15 April 2010, 10:01 AM. Reason: typo
        Go for Marty...

Comment

Originally posted by Gollumpus View Post
          I wasn't too surprised that she ordered the airman to stand down, however, she did not say to surrender the weapon so I was kinda' surprised at how that turned out. To be honest, TJ and the airman would likely not need a weapon to put down the insurrection.

It could be viewed that the airman holding the weapon on the civilians was doing so not so much to protect himself (which he was doing) but rather to keep them at a distance so he would not have to apply physical force to defend himself. And I believe it would have gone very badly for the civilians.

When the scene starts, TJ is being guided by Volker and Brody to somewhere (to be honest, she could probably have overpowered both of them assuming that neither of them is secretly Bruce Lee). They meet up with the airman who is faced off against three civilians, none of whom are armed, all of whom he could likely take out without breaking too much of a sweat. When Wray and her companions arrive on the scene they could have been taken out as quickly. Right there you have 8 of the civilian insurgents and their primary leader taken out. All they would have had to do is find Rush. Game over.

regards,
          G.
          There is a reason why Young did not use force. If the military used forced & started going all Jackie Chan on the civilians & scientists then they would probably rather be shot to death then help the military survive on that ship. If the civilians were killed & the military were the only ones left they would know nothing about how to run the ship especially during alien attacks & Young knows this

Comment

Originally posted by JackO'Neill View Post
            There is a reason why Young did not use force. If the military used forced & started going all Jackie Chan on the civilians & scientists then they would probably rather be shot to death then help the military survive on that ship. If the civilians were killed & the military were the only ones left they would know nothing about how to run the ship especially during alien attacks & Young knows this
            you're quoting a post that said nothing about young whatsoever mate. Plus they were more than willing to use force if they had to, they rushed into the civvie area with their guns pointed firmly at the civvies. what exactly did you think was going to happen if they didn't all hit the dirt like a choir boy on a lazy sunday afternoon? group hug?
            I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Comment

@Jack

you're quoting a post that said nothing about young whatsoever mate. Plus they were more than willing to use force if they had to, they rushed into the civvie area with their guns pointed firmly at the civvies. what exactly did you think was going to happen if they didn't all hit the dirt like a choir boy on a lazy sunday afternoon? group hug?
              What he said.

I think the military showed a great deal of restraint in this episode. They could have used guns, but they didn't. They could have physically overpowered the civilians, but they didn't (outside of the guys that Greer put down and the one dummy who walked right into James' rifle butt. The three folks who were facing off against that one airman showed more sense).

regards,
              G.
              Go for Marty...

Comment

I have to say I missed some episodes due to being in college and still haven't come around to watch them, but I don't recall the US military ever abandoning its ownership of the stargate and daedalus program.
                They never actually lost control of either, but the IOA threatened to give the gate over to Russia and China on several occasions. It has not happened, but it can happen if the IOA wishes it.

Comment

FAII,

They never actually lost control of either, but the IOA threatened to give the gate over to Russia and China on several occasions. It has not happened, but it can happen if the IOA wishes it.
                  That seems to be quite a threat. Why would the US willingly give up control of the Stargate in Cheyenne Mountian regardless of what the IOA wants?
                  All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
                    FAII,

That seems to be quite a threat. Why would the US willingly give up control of the Stargate in Cheyenne Mountian regardless of what the IOA wants?
                    That's what I'm wondering too. Can anyone point out specific episodes for these threats? I know about the russian threat that was paid off with the korolev, but that's it. Besides at this point in the series every faction could go out and take a stargate from an uninhabited planet.

Comment

Right. The IOA will remove the gate from Cheyenne Mountain and place it in a comparatively unstable nation like Russia or hand it over to China which could decide to close it's borders with the change of their ruling committee.

There's a better chance it could be sent to Canada.

regards,
                      G.
                      Go for Marty...

Comment

I didn't really get TJ ordering the soldier to put his gun down when they were stuck on the wrong side of the line. Seems to me like the one with the gun was in a much better position to end the coup before it got well under way. What were the civies going to do? Rush him until he ran out of bullets? I think not!

They should have at least tried to find out what their status was (eg if there were any more soldiers on the wrong side of the line) before putting the gun down. They weren't exactly faced with a life threatening situation when they did.

(I hope the thread title is not a problem spoiler wise)
                        I completely get it
                        A lot has been made of the military actions towards the civilians but I don't see the military as being antagonistic. For me, TJ is 'the voice of the military' in this part. They're not about to start shooting people, but if you declare war, you'll get war. She has him lower the weapon because hurting people, shooting peole, isn't really something they're interested in.
                        sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Working...
                        X