Some of the Military Shocked me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some of the Military Shocked me

Wow Greer is some guy who thinks he is all that.

So because some civilian is a thorn in the military side....that makes it ok to ditch him on a planet to die? That's Greer's thinking, with Rush. Greer's sense of right or wrong is twisted. I expected more from an American soldier.

Also that Female marine (forget her name) walks into the room and beats up a civilian, even though the civilian posed no threat to her or the military. He wasn't even attacking.

The civilians did have some good points there.

IMO Civilians > Military.

Comment

greer don't take **** from no one plan and simple. the military leads the destiny and the civilians were uprising. so in a way think of it as martial law
      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Also, Greer is probably still pissed off at how Young was framed for Spencer's murder. He was ready to take the fight to the civvies then, and he still holds Young above all others on that ship. His actions weren't surprising at all.
        sigpic
        http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Um ship with mutineers is never good. Killing them all was one option of many.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by haloplayer View Post
            So because some civilian is a thorn in the military side....that makes it ok to ditch him on a planet to die? That's Greer's thinking, with Rush. Greer's sense of right or wrong is twisted. I expected more from an American soldier.
            Well, Greer's feelings about Rush are well-known. He pretty clearly blames Rush for stranding everyone on Destiny in the first place, and I think he's put two and two together and figured out that Rush was the one who framed Young. In military terms, that's mutiny right there and generally punishable by imprisonment in ideal circumstances. Not that it makes Greer right though. I just understand his line of thought.

Also that Female marine (forget her name) walks into the room and beats up a civilian, even though the civilian posed no threat to her or the military. He wasn't even attacking.
            That would be James, and I agree. The civilian wasn't sitting down so she smacked him? Harsh, for sure. I don't know if I'd say that she "beat him up" though, it looked to me like she smacked him, he went down and that was the end of it.

I found myself thinking the same thing, and I always thought of myself as being on the military's "side." The way they went about things though was all wrong.

Comment

I pretty much agree. I wasn't so off-put by the way Greer acted to things, as it seemed to fit his characterization pretty well. However, I was a little confused by Lt. James rifle-butting the unarmed civilian like that. Maybe it was for dramatic effect by the writers or whatever, but it seemed a bit strange I guess as the civilian posed no threat. The same could be said about the civilians that Greer beat up (the ones they passed in the hallway), though I won't elaborate as we cannot be sure if they were some of the few with weapons or not.

This isn't meant to be anti-military in any sense, but I found myself siding with the civilians almost entirely in this episode, and I found it very hard to relate to the way the military handled things, especially the way Young dismissed everyone at the end...telling them to go to their rooms. He sort of redeemed himself though in making a gesture to Wray that he would try and speak with her about this.

Greer said it all, in that it's not over.
              Last edited by Coronach; 09 April 2010, 09:00 PM.
              Sig by Pandora's Box
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Iffy View Post
                Um ship with mutineers is never good. Killing them all was one option of many.
                Which would have been a dreadful idea, as almost all of the scientists or science-minded people (barring perhaps Eli) were sided with the civilians. Kill them all, and the military would not survive.

I truly think that both sides are seriously forgetting how much they need each other to survive.
                Sig by Pandora's Box
                sigpic

Comment

The civilians should impose work to rule from this point forward. When the ships systems start malfunctioning, they should just tell Greer and James to bash it with the butts of their guns until it's fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
                    The same could be said about the civilians that Greer beat up (the ones they passed in the hallway), though I won't elaborate as we cannot be sure if they were some of the few with weapons or not.
                    Those guys seemed to be guarding the door leading to the locked-out part of the ship where the military was. I'd say it's safe to assume they were armed for such duties.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Hurin View Post
                      Those guys seemed to be guarding the door leading to the locked-out part of the ship where the military was. I'd say it's safe to assume they were armed for such duties.
                      Ah, good point. I totally forgot that, and you are probably right. At the very least, he would have recognized that those placed as "guards" are certainly not innocent bystanders.
                      Sig by Pandora's Box
                      sigpic

Comment

I was also surprised at the way James acted. I've been pretty neutral on her so far, as she hasn't had much development, but she certainly scored negative points with me for bashing the hell out of an unarmed civilian.

I have never liked Greer. From the start, I have wondered often why he's allowed to have a gun at all. My mother made the observation tonight that he is, essentially, Young's bulldog. The nasty piece of work to use if things get dicey.
                        Whether Rush and Wray are mutineers or not is debatable, since neither are military, and it's debatable whether the entire situation qualifies as a military op in the first place. But either way, Greer is too eager to met out vigilante justice, and takes far too much pleasure in violence. When Young has someone like that hoo-ahing and busting people up left and right whenever he gets the itch, I can't imagine Rush, Wray, or anyone on their side is going to view the soldiers as anything but a threat.

Comment

So because some civilian is a thorn in the military side....that makes it ok to ditch him on a planet to die? That's Greer's thinking, with Rush.
                          Don't push it. Rush is the only reason why everybody is stuck on the Destiny far from their family. If he wasn't so indispensable because of his scientific knowledge I would have locked him up the minute I got on the Destiny. I find that unbelievable the civilians would back him up now. Oh well....
                          Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
                            Don't push it. Rush is the only reason why everybody is stuck on the Destiny far from their family. If he wasn't so indispensable because of his scientific knowledge I would have locked him up the minute I got on the Destiny. I find that unbelievable the civilians would back him up now. Oh well....
                            I don't think anyone is forgetting that Rush made the decision to force them there. However, everyone knows that he didn't know they were all gonna be stuck (though, it's safe to assume, he didn't much care either.)
                            The fact of the matter is that the man in charge, Col. Young, did something that betrayed everyone's trust in him as a fair and just leader. He crossed a line. And given that the civilians don't know for sure that Rush framed the Colonel in 'Justice,' plus the fact that Rush risked his life to save Chloe and has saved the ship from destruction several times, it's easy to see why they made the choice they did. Recent events probably shaped their view of him more than the past one. I'd get pretty bored if the show forever harped on the fact that Rush is to blame for the predicament, and I'd find it unrealistic if every character did that. Moving past it will allow Rush's character to grow.

Comment

Originally posted by Daro View Post
                              I was also surprised at the way James acted. I've been pretty neutral on her so far, as she hasn't had much development, but she certainly scored negative points with me for bashing the hell out of an unarmed civilian.

I have never liked Greer. From the start, I have wondered often why he's allowed to have a gun at all. My mother made the observation tonight that he is, essentially, Young's bulldog. The nasty piece of work to use if things get dicey.
                              Whether Rush and Wray are mutineers or not is debatable, since neither are military, and it's debatable whether the entire situation qualifies as a military op in the first place. But either way, Greer is too eager to met out vigilante justice, and takes far too much pleasure in violence. When Young has someone like that hoo-ahing and busting people up left and right whenever he gets the itch, I can't imagine Rush, Wray, or anyone on their side is going to view the soldiers as anything but a threat.
                              I thought she hit the one that had a pistol, though I may be wrong.
                              Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                              Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Working...
                              X