Medical inconsistencies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by prion View Post
    The biggest problem with antibiotics - which a fan (a doctor) pointed out years ago while watching SG1 - is that antiobiotics made on Earth are for Earth-based bacteria. They would be useless against some alien bacteria. So, hope they've got a real smart doc there to create antibiotics when they come up against a new bug.
    Good call. They'll just have to make do with the wonder drug alien venom. Seems to kill the bacteria in the water and also knock someone out.

Comment

yeah rush was probably just angry about how they were going to get it out being a crude surgery set up. Its alien venom so maybe rush, being rush, needed extra venom to put him out.

also, what about the blue aliens' limbs - elbow/knee down - they seem shaped like our bones [radius/ulna, tibia/fibula], but w/space between them - just found that odd anatomy [alien, sure].
      ....Its what I do!

Comment

After todays re-watch of the episode:
        I would have been happier if they fibulated Rush instead of that whole cut him open ****.
        a big ZAP ZAP...

Could have also created more tension,
        rush: "Are you crazy! why dont you just have the guts to shoot me!"
        Young: Punchs Rush out and they fibulate him...

Comment

The biggest problem with antibiotics - which a fan (a doctor) pointed out years ago while watching SG1 - is that antiobiotics made on Earth are for Earth-based bacteria. They would be useless against some alien bacteria. So, hope they've got a real smart doc there to create antibiotics when they come up against a new bug.
          That's why there are broad-spectrum antibiotics. The mechanism of these AB relies even more on "destroying" (to put it simply) a key part, or function, that makes an organism a bacteria. Or even that makes an organism a pathogen for humans. While you have a point, it should be nuanced.
          A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

I think y'all are forgetting that they used alien venom as the antibiotic and anaesthetic. Alien stuff... It's like magic.
            Of course, one alien venom-derived medicine from one planet working against a bug from another planet is pretty much the same scenario as Earth drugs working against something from Abydos, but still...
            sigpic
            More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
              I think y'all are forgetting that they used alien venom as the antibiotic and anaesthetic. Alien stuff... It's like magic.
              Of course, one alien venom-derived medicine from one planet working against a bug from another planet is pretty much the same scenario as Earth drugs working against something from Abydos, but still...
              Yeah, but I think it's very bold to say bacteria and such are unique to our planet...

Comment

Originally posted by Jper View Post
                That's why there are broad-spectrum antibiotics. The mechanism of these AB relies even more on "destroying" (to put it simply) a key part, or function, that makes an organism a bacteria. Or even that makes an organism a pathogen for humans. While you have a point, it should be nuanced.
                Broad-spectrum may not kill a, er, whatever galaxy they're in, bug. I don't know quite all the whereabouts of this, but got an earful about it from a doctor who watched Stargate (and dont' even mention the word 'innoculation' - aieee, that's a whole 'nother nasty ball of wax!)

Comment

Broad-spectrum may not kill a, er, whatever galaxy they're in, bug. I don't know quite all the whereabouts of this, but got an earful about it from a doctor who watched Stargate (and dont' even mention the word 'innoculation' - aieee, that's a whole 'nother nasty ball of wax!)
                  Well, I disagree, for a bacteria to be a pathogen for humans and to be compatible, there are certain components required like say the cell membrane (for example) that cannot be too different from ""our"" known bacteria. And let it be just that this is the target for broad-spectrum antibiotics. Also, I still don't believe that ""our"" bacteria here are so unique and must resemble other bacteria out there. Not to mention how on Destiny the main source for contamination would come from the other people on board who are all humans from Earth. I don't think the bacteria pose such a big risk. While it is possible, I think there's a much bigger problem with other organism out there than bacteria. And furthermore, most successful pathogens for humans, as pathogens in general, not only bacteria, have undergone thousands if not millions of years of evolution to be as successful or deadly as they are now.

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                    They took some medical supplies with them, we know that. And remember, the stones aren't working perfectly now; the connection cuts out. As for why Rush wasn't screaming... TJ said there was a local anesthetic applied, so he wouldn't have felt anything.
                    It wasn't just a local anesthetic, it proper knocks you out good (as a doctor would say ) remember when Scott got it on the time planet he was knocked out for hours and hours after one bite

Also the aliens only have 1 stone that they got from Rush so they could have used 2 stones, and one would reach earth.

and finally.. he woke up but I doubt he was completely consious.. he seemed delerious and completely out of it..

I do agree with the whole sterile aspect of it.. they really could have minimized that... but on the flip side it was laparoscopic.. it wasn't so much a gaping hole as it was a small hole and laparoscopic surgery would have reduced the chances of infection considerable, plus the ships life support systems probably have some sort of air filter built into them to limit the microbes in the air, if they had sterilized all the equipment, gloves, hands and everything they used theres a good chance that he'd be fine...
                    I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Originally posted by GoodSmeagol View Post
                      After todays re-watch of the episode:
                      I would have been happier if they fibulated Rush instead of that whole cut him open ****.
                      a big ZAP ZAP...

Could have also created more tension,
                      rush: "Are you crazy! why dont you just have the guts to shoot me!"
                      Young: Punchs Rush out and they fibulate him...
                      That was used in Mi3 iirc to destroy the bomb in the main character..

Comment

Originally posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
                        but on the flip side it was laparoscopic.. it wasn't so much a gaping hole as it was a small hole and laparoscopic surgery
                        I have to disagree - when I had laparoscopic surgery on my knee, the incision was about 1 inch or less (I should check my scar) - the incision looked quite a bit bigger than that on camera - I would have to look again, but I would say at least 3 inches.
                        sigpic
                        Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

Minimally invasive, sure, but still invasive.
                          sigpic
                          More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
                            I liked the fact that they brought in a real doctor with the stones.
                            That was really cool. And a nice call-back for the veteran fans, because that character (Dr. Brightman) was introduced in season 7 of SG-1.

Comment

Originally posted by ariadne83 View Post
                              That was really cool. And a nice call-back for the veteran fans, because that character (Dr. Brightman) was introduced in season 7 of SG-1.
                              Season 8
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                              X