The Flash-Sideways Solution: Happily Ever After

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Flash-Sideways Solution: Happily Ever After

Before I begin, I must stress that I didn't come up with this myself. One of my friends did. That said, I think he's onto something huge here.
    Possible theory...what Desmond can do is destroy the old timeline, with the MIB. He can somehow draw everyone in that old timeline into the new happy timeline, and leave the old behind. This will forever prevent the MIB from escaping. But in order to do this, he will have to make a "sacrifice." He'll have to give up his life with Penny and his son, and never go back. The reason that he is now willing to help Widmore, the reason that he will reconnect the timelines, is that he met Penny in the new timeline, and realizes that he will still be able to be with her.

He doesn't need Widmore to do anything now. So he can leave with Sayid. He knows he needs to gather everyone in both timelines anyway, so he has to leave Widmore at some point to get all the others. My guess is that Desmond will get Hurley to help him gather everyone in BOTH timelines. He's very rich in one, and in the other he can influence everyone by talking to dead people. Notice that almost EVERYONE, in the old timeline, has someone important who died that could convince them to do something. Only exception? Sun and Jin. Meaning one of them will probably die in the old timeline.

The second-to-last episode is titled "Why They All Died." This might have to do with how Hurley convinces everyone in the old timeline to leave and go to the new one. Because in the new one, they can all be together again. He can relay messages from the dead, urging them to do it so their sacrifices weren't in vain. The reason that they all died in the old timeline (Charlie, Juliet, Nadia, Alex, Sun/Jin) will be to bring everyone into the new timeline. In order to convince everyone, Hurley can relay messages from the dead, and Desmond can connect them all in the new timeline and tell/show the ones in the old timeline about their happiness in the new one.

And I think I buy it. There are, of course, still a whole bunch of questions to be answered (Jacob, MIB, the candidates, Jack's father's missing body, maybe even Walt)... so details might have to be adjusted accordingly. But in general, it makes more or less perfect sense, and explains the alternate timeline too well. It would actually be stupid at this point if they *didn't* all end up in the new timeline somehow. Otherwise, we were just wasting story time. And everyone (or almost everyone) gets a happy ending. Desmond gets back with Penny. Jack has a son. Ben is in a pretty good place, and Alex Rousseau is still alive. Hurley is doing great. Charlie is alive, and might very well still run into Claire. Daniel is alive. Juliet is probably doing well too, and her dying words (in the original timeline) are fulfilled: "It worked."

In short: THIS COULD BE AN AWESOME FINALE, IMHO.
    There is only one thing we can ever truly control: whether we are good, or evil.

Working...
X