Gateworld Virtual Fleet 4.0 - Discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, it worked for Star Trek!

Actually, maybe this doesn't even have to be concrete tips, just a quick but forceful cryptic remark, something like "When the time comes, put as much as you can offworld, and don't be a afraid to kick orders to the curb when you really have to."

Comment

Oh dear lord . . . 4.0
      sigpic
      ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Timeline 0.1 :

Spoiler:

1945 - 1963 : Heliopolis Expedition

1963 - 1989 : First steps

The real military SG teams won't appear before the late 60s at the height of the space program (first man in space, first man on the moon).

There will be the usual competition between the Americans and the Russians between 1969 and 1989 though they would agree on certain things :
        - diplomatic solution above "shooting each other" : to alien civilization they must look united even when they have different goals.
        - Earth location is a secret. always fall back to your respective alpha site. if you can't, go to the other one's. They probably deserve to be attacked as mush as you do.
        - No one goes to Abydos! Not even for sightseeing. Everyone told us that it's dangerous because there's a guy with glowing eyes there and he is really NOT kind with strangers.

(It's the hardest part of the story : I have to find Russian names for the SG teams...)

Around the 90s, Jackson and O'Neill will enlist into the SG program and be sent to Abydos. They will learn about the Goa'ulds, about Ra and the addresses carven inside his temple. With some Russian help they could bring him or another of his minion down.

1995 : Carter finally makes the modification to the US dialing program to reach other planets. Soon after, the Russians find Hathor and spend some time avoiding her taking control of their base. She is currently being held in the highest security prison deep into Siberia. With female wardens only. Russian female wardens...

2001 : Apophis appears in our lives. He got 6 more years after the death of Ra to organize his army and build more than the original 2 Ha'taks. Russia and US are blaming each other for that until the UN steps in and decide the creation of the IOA to monitor both programs.

2010 : Ships based on the technology scavenged from Ra's ship and shared by other races are finally being put into service. The USS Prometheus line is more like a carrier having multiple 302s fighters while the [insert Russian Name here] is rather a gunship with an insane amount of weapons.

Truth be told, it was a wonder they could even take off. Other countries have already expressed their concern about their efficiency in real battle, something that the human from Earth never experienced.

Note : I don't know yet how to use minor characters like the NID or even Seth and Osiris (who is the only actually capable of leaving Earth)
        La vie est une tragédie - Tout le monde meurt à la fin.
        L'Histoire est une comédie - Les gentils gagnent toujours à la fin.

Comment

personally I do not think we should do a remake of the original series (sgi1). I think a complete reboot seems like a better idea, to though. As I said before, American control is getting me kinda sick...

We have the ability, we have got the knowledge, we should try something really original.

Of course we could still use allot of the original ideas and all but I still think it would be best to think of something new.

Perhaps:

In WW2 the Nazis were defeated and yes the Allies still won, however the Nazis managed to keep the Allies out, perhaps territorial concessions have been made, but overall the Nazi regime survived till present day.

The could war would have turned out differently and it became a three way cold war, obviously the Nazis are just about confined to their country and a few more have Nazi like regimes too. Then it is finally discovered how to get the Gate found in New Swabialand work and the Germans set off.

About the same time in America, the Americans find out how to use a gate (the Egyptian gate) work and start their own programme. A few years later the Russians or perhaps the Japanese or China could also have started a programme. (btw, I am no Nazi, just interested in how they would have done things if they got access to a stargate in lets say the 1990s)

just my two cents.

www.darkarmada.nl
          www.runescape.com

Ode aan Nederlandsch-Indië

Comment

i think yall should do somthing involving the satadans either befoerr the planet was called or them going back and rebuilding or sumthing

Comment

colb, that might be a good idea, but please try to get your spelling correct, you are hard to understand.

www.darkarmada.nl
              www.runescape.com

Comment

i'm not sure what's with you and nazi's.

i'm just proposing things.

i think SG1 works fine, i just think it should be different from the start. well, i've seen too much SG1 fanfics and practically every fleet dealt with them. one of the things i found annoying was that sometimes a lot of people developed a handfull of characters, making it hard to constantly match the personalities.

why not have each guy have it's own team, and we deal with those? people can develop them the way they like. occasionally we have multiple teams on the same mission and we could write those stories together.

my idea was simple: we start in modern times, with a slight headstart regarding alien tech and the various offworld sites, and to compensate we fight a slightly stronger enemy.

besides, since when have Fleets been anything like the shows? they often involve much bigger fleets and far more grandeur than the shows themselves, and hardly have the filler type episode.

also we don't need to have a humongous amount of knowledge before we get out in the galaxy. i like exploring. exploring technologies and people and cultures and artifacts etc.

Comment

I think it's important we don't abandon SG-1's premise because it's the link between the fleet ad the show, without it, newcomers would be at a greater loss.

As to people not liking American control, the only thing I can do is roll my eyes and ask why the heck it matters? The Russians get in on the action not three years in, and the IOA is formed five years in. That's the original show, we can easily have the Russians ask for a more active role in the SG program before then, and a more international program after Disclosure.

I think our point of divergence should be at Within The Serpent's Grasp. Instead of Kingsley shutting down the SGC, Hammond orders a recon mission to the address Daniel brought back form an alternate reality, and upon finding it's a ship, send every soldier he has through to capture it. This gives us an enormous head start, both in terms of capability and minor goa'uld techs that we can interrogate to give our reverse engineering a leg up.

I'm working on a re-write as we speak, but preliminary C&C welcome.

Comment

why? we can have SG1 in it without having the premise of the original show

Comment

I know, but starting someplace familiar before veering off in a new direction makes it easier to get one's bearings.

By the way, how's everyone feel about Altairan android tech? In exchange for little more than helping Harlan keep his facility in good repair, Earth could get a lot of advanced technology. Android copied are stronger and faster and are immune to NBC attacks, as well as being capable of operating in extremely hostile environments.

Comment

to quote the great president Hayes, "never gonna happen"

Comment

Maybe the Americans won't do it, but he Russians, oh, you have to love the Russians. I'd totally write about a Russian android team.

Besides, Altair really is a treasure trove, the Altairan civilization's version of the Asgard core, a huge storehouse of all their knowledge. All we have to do is ask a lonely, semi-insane Android nicely an ofter to help him keep the whole thing in good repair. we should at least set up diplomatic ties.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                            why not have each guy have it's own team, and we deal with those? people can develop them the way they like. occasionally we have multiple teams on the same mission and we could write those stories together.

my idea was simple: we start in modern times, with a slight headstart regarding alien tech and the various offworld sites, and to compensate we fight a slightly stronger enemy.

besides, since when have Fleets been anything like the shows? they often involve much bigger fleets and far more grandeur than the shows themselves, and hardly have the filler type episode.

also we don't need to have a humongous amount of knowledge before we get out in the galaxy. i like exploring. exploring technologies and people and cultures and artifacts etc.
                            This is an idea I can endorse, we did that in a way in another fleet, so it can be done and can turn out to be a great fleet.

those Androids are one thing I really dislike as an idea, we should not let them become part of us

www.darkarmada.nl
                            www.runescape.com

Comment

That's just racist. *takes out "Androids are People Too" placard and begins protesting*

Really, This fleet is supposed to bring somethign fresh into the equation. The recognition of AI rights could be a big part of that. I'm certainly willing to write it in if nobody else is.

And Unity could be of great help interrogating prisoners, it can scan somebody's mind non-pervasively and they relay the information to us. We could get a lot of useful lintel from Goa'uld prisoners that way.

Comment

I kind off have the habit of turning AI into a rebel group if they become part of a series.

www.darkarmada.nl
                                www.runescape.com

Comment

Working...
                                X