No announcement yet.

Gateworld Virtual Fleet 4.0 - Discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally i dont think the idea of wiping out SG1 entirely, i saw that we use SG1 as a base but set our own style up for the continuation. We continue with the war with the goauld, as i would have been if say anubis had not come. So from S6/7. We have our first offworld bases, and our first ship and our first major allies offworld and organised in to a resistance. If from then we continue making bases offworld, set up a smaller network of naquadah mines and begin production of ships from a captured drydock of the goauld, perhaps the one we found in orpheus. We use the goauld drydock but modify and upgrade the plans for goauld ships, incorporating human weapons and elements in to the design. This gives us a foothold from which to launch. We know enough about the goauld and the universe but the uber stuff hasnt happened yet.
    sigpic
    You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
    Stargate : Genesis |
    Original Starship DesignThread
    Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
    11000! green me

Comment

i would like to help i have ideas on the sort of weapons the humans could use in space

Comment

the pain i have is that some things have been done wrong from the start. we can't make it...better without starting from the beginning. nobody's done this before yet we have the knowledge, the expertise to make this work. using SG1 as a basis is simply overdone and doing it from the beginning has never been done, and though ambitious, we can pull it off. i would like to add in a large amount of common sense and realism. two things that partially lacked from the beginning of SG1, not through writers mistakes ( well, partially) but mostly through budget restraints.

the goauld weapon yields are a pain in the ass. i think KT weapons are just fine, allows PLENTY of advancements and explorations. besides, i think the equivalent of a KT nuke spammer mounted on ships is sufficiently dreading on it's own. shields would be MT level, so our nukes are resisted. i'm not sure how strong they should be, but there's a big difference in storing humongous amounts of energy in capacitors, and refilling that over a long time, and constantly outputting KT's of energy. i'd say a MT or 500 would be sufficient for goauld shields.

another pain are some aspects of Naquahdah. the described volatility would make it impossible for the stuff to exist on any planet without annihilating it over a few million year period. chemically it should be relatively inert, so it has incredibly strong chemical bonds but it's not volatile. also, it's fissionable in a clean way, so for nukes it's great, but the energy density should be lower. otherwise it makes no sense for a goauld not to nuke their worst enemies with baseball-sized nukes.

Comment

I have an idea for a small group of Tau'ri and the few ships is would be able to create and operate....it needs a bit of fine tuning and knowing just where we're starting from before i can finish the idea.... but it would involve the two ships in my sig

'You gotta admit, Vampires are just plain cool'

Comment

Whatever the case, the first ship we make should be like the Prometheus : a half operational battleship made from scavenged tech.

The weapons and shields should be weaker than their Goauld's counterparts while the sublight and/or the hyperdrives faster. We are not yet strong enough to fight the goa'ulds heads on but we can outrun them, ambush them, 3 to 1.

If we keep the generic idea that "more energy = better tech", at least have some uber-weapons we can only use for a short time before they burn out. No need to have the whole ship destroyed or sacrificing itself by ramming the enemy, just let it buy time until it can fire its main cannon, reduce everything to ashes, make it home in several pieces then rest in peace in a museum.

Oh I like your idea killman but I'd like the story to start a little earlier than 1995.

Why not start at Heliopolis in 1945? It could very well be the reason why the story is different. This time the scientists didn't give up and managed to rescue Ernest Littlefield. It could be through sporadic gate activations with people and materials being sent through the gate until they manage to make a dialing program similar to the one used later at the SGC.

If it finally occurs in the 60s, it would give us 50 years to finally understand how the gate works, explore heliopolis, find maybe a ship to replicate, build a significant Alpha site and finally gather other countries' support (G8 or G20 your call). Then Carter make a discovery in 1995 and we can start exploring Beta, Gamma and Epsilon site. 2010 will be the first time we encounter an alien intelligent race. Could be the Goa'ulds, the Tok'ra, the Jaffa or any other human race that could explain to us what's happening out there.
            La vie est une tragédie - Tout le monde meurt à la fin.
            L'Histoire est une comédie - Les gentils gagnent toujours à la fin.

Comment

i think that earth only use projectile weapons or lazers at the exstreme allredy have or can get with grater ease it will also help with yeld calcs

Comment

Why not start at Heliopolis in 1945?
                i like it it give you a longer time sort out were you are going with it

Comment

See correcting every mistake of SG1 from the begining wont heal all the wounds and it makes things so much more difficult. It would be far better to put it in the future, but with an alternate timeline in which the goauld have resurfaced but with better tech and equipment. We wiped out the system lords etc, but new goauld have emerged that are more adept and savvy in using thier technology. Perhaps even the old trust.
                  sigpic
                  You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                  Stargate : Genesis |
                  Original Starship DesignThread
                  Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                  11000! green me

Comment

well it might work, with the Heliopolis database being one source of info.

i think that earth only use projectile weapons or lazers at the exstreme allredy have or can get with grater ease it will also help with yeld calcs
                    i think that earth should only use projectile weapons. maybe lasers at the extreme. we already have them or we can get them with greater ease. it will also help with yield calculations.
                    is that an accurate translation?

i think that our first ship could be crude. but more from a technical standpoint than just using scavenged materials. also i think that it should be slower and weaker at every point. no need to defeat ha'tak in 1vs1 battle. i was thinking of filling up the gaps a bit. i've designed two goauld ships and i've seen other designs as well. the ha'tak should be a baseship: a ship that also functions as a mobile base. we need a weaker, smaller ship to be used by the goauld so we don't have something too powerful.

also i don't think we should have ships available immediately.

If we keep the generic idea that "more energy = better tech", at least have some uber-weapons we can only use for a short time before they burn out. No need to have the whole ship destroyed or sacrificing itself by ramming the enemy, just let it buy time until it can fire its main cannon, reduce everything to ashes, make it home in several pieces then rest in peace in a museum.
                    i've been thinking of a greater variety in approaches for ships but also weapons.

introducing:

-damage types. this is for general indication, something bigger or more advanced or designed differently has different effects.

Particle: a particle cannon has little effect on shields. it does drain them somewhat. for the most part, the energy is converted to heat, which leaks through the shields onto the hull. a ship under siege by such weapons is more likely to have molten armor than a depleted shield. against armor it's like a weak directed nuke, easily cutting through the thickest armor.

Plasma: Plasma cannons are 40/60 weapons so to speak. against shields they're pretty effective (the 60), against armor somewhat effective (the 40). plasma depletes shields and explodes on contact, as the containment field that keeps the bolt intact is disrupted. plasma leakthrough effect: damage to the ship, both physical and electric.

Ion: ion weapons have great effect against shields. shields deplete quite fast when targeted by these weapons. if the shield integrity drops below 100%, damage to electronics easily happens. unlike plasma weapon leakthrough effect, this damage is more severe and closer to EMP.

Thermal: weapons that depend upon a fusion reaction cause explosions on contact. moderately effective against shields, moderately effective against armor. 60/40, the reverse of the plasma weapon. leakthrough: thermal radation and other radiation forms

Nuke: unlike Thermo(which is a plasma blast undergoing fusion/made of fissioning materials), nukes explode when detonated and they release all energy in an instant. depending on the fuel, the effects wildly vary. against armor, the shockwave can generate a lot of extra damage. against shields, it creates a sudden drop in shield power. often causes a radiation leakthrough.

Fusion cannons are pretty badass but also pretty primitive. i would like earth to have some. unlike plasma cannons, Fusion cannons have a bolt that increases in energy as it moves. depending on the impact, it could cause a sudden chain reaction and violently explode, or just impact as a regular plasma bolt.

also:

i've been thinking of introducing more elements than just the one's we've seen.

note: names are just ones i made up, this wasn't though of on spot

Spoiler:
                    -Illium. comes in 3 isotopes: stable, mildly radioactive(half-time of thousands of years), and heavily radioactive(half-life of hours to days) liquid, relatively low melting and boiling point. the stable form releases the least energy. higher abundance than Naquahdah, releases less energy.

-Xerium. comes in just 1 stable isotope. higher atomic number than Illium. non-radioactive, non-fissionable, extraordinarily chemically reactive. on the Periodic table, it would be under Lithium, sodium, and francium etc.
                    Xerium salts are numerous and have wildly varying material qualities. solid at room temperature.

-Valarium. noble gas. radioactive, half-life varies wildly between isotopes. the most stable has a half-life of many millions of years. fissionable, highest energy density of all. there are no Valarium salts, the material is difficult to work with. hard to find.

others:
                    -Naquahdah. i believe it should have a lower energy density.

-Naquahdriah. element of it's own, radioactive, unstable, but higher energy density than Valarium, which in turn has a highe energy density than Naquahdah.

-Trinium. stable, non-radioactive, non-fissionable material with extremely high strenght and incredible material properties. the same Exotic Particle Field that keeps these superatoms from degrading (the same exotic particles that Naquahdriah releases on fission) massively increases the Material Properties of Trinium

-Neutronium. highest atomic number of all. ultra-hard to find. incredible material properties. it's incredibility is only matched by it's rarity and impossibility to be processed. only advanced races with extensive knowledge of this stuff can actually use it for construction.

uses: (radioactive) Illium takes over the use of Liquid Naquadhah, as the material in itself never made a whole lot of sense to me.

power density and material incredibility are inversely related to their abundance: the more incredible, the less abundant. the higher the powerdensity, the lower the abundance. Naquahdriah holds the lowest abundance among the Power dense, Neutronium among the Material Incredible.

Naquahdriah should be the rarest: it's radioactive, and as it's name implies, comes from Naquahdah. natural Naquahdriah has already decayed, artificial is possible. *or recently formed*

Neutronium is the hardest to find. with it's density and all, on planets it'll be located inside the core.

Comment

See correcting every mistake of SG1 from the begining wont heal all the wounds and it makes things so much more difficult. It would be far better to put it in the future, but with an alternate timeline in which the goauld have resurfaced but with better tech and equipment. We wiped out the system lords etc, but new goauld have emerged that are more adept and savvy in using thier technology. Perhaps even the old trust.
                      we don't have to correct mistakes. we just know so much more now than the writers ever did back then.

we have the expertise and knowledge. you have a lot of experience, i have experience, tom has experience, we're no science dummies, we have people who want to help, and i know at least a few of them have fleet experience and well, we can pull it off.

what is the purpose of the fleet? you of all people know that.

Comment

Plasma is better aginst armor than shild because it melts hull armor on contact.

Comment

guppy, I will ask you again, please install a spelling and grammar checker on your comp. You are damned hard to understand. I have to read your posts twice, if not more than that to understand the meaning of the post.

If you participate I will ask you, just like I asked you in the Virtual Fleet 1.0 (not gateworld version 1.0), please get a beta and try to work on your English.

edit: it would also be of great assistance to those who do not have English as their mother tongue, for if spelled correctly, we can look things up in a lexicon. This is not meant as an assault, but as a request to keep my own sanity.

www.darkarmada.nl
                          www.runescape.com

Ode aan Nederlandsch-Indië

Comment

i prefer correct spelling bad grammar over bad spelling good grammar.

also heating is overrated: metal transports heat quite effectively. the damage is quickly spread.

i forgot to include kinetics. depending on regular or relativistic (the latter devastates pretty much anything with equal effect), the regular kinetics just sucks against shields and is only outclassed by particle against armor, though it can have MUCH higher rates of fire and consumes a LOT less power.

Comment

thus depending on the amount of kinetic impacts created compared to the amount of damage created by particle weapons. So in a comparison, kinetics might be stronger compared to particle weapons, depending on the quality of the particle weapons and the rate of bullet fire.

www.darkarmada.nl
                              www.runescape.com

Ode aan Nederlandsch-Indië

Comment

I have attempted to download it but it did not work so I’m going to type it on word first and transfer it. my post before was about the fact the plasma weaponry is much better used to burn through ships armour than shield because shield of a good strength can take heat form a reasonable amount of bolts

Comment

Working...
                                X