• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Across the Sea (615)

Visit the Episode GuideLOST SEASON SIX
    ACROSS THE SEA
    EPISODE NUMBER - 615

Far in the island's past, a mysterious woman raises a pair of boys in the hopes that one of them will one day take her place. But Jacob's brother has desires of his own.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >
    Last edited by Darren; 17 May 2010, 01:43 PM.

As an avid lover, supporter, and inquisitor of all things LOST, sticking with it through all the lame episodes or stories, or unanswered questions, etc, i will easily say, this episode was the first time was let down.
    way, way down.
    So much potential to answer so many questions in so little time, and we got...jacob and MiB are brothers which we pretty much already knew, Jacob created the smoke monster - though we still don't know what it is, and we found out who Adam & Eve are - even though, just like me, I'm sure everyone figured that out 10 minutes into the episode when we saw the 3 of them living at the caves.

An incredibly wasted opportunity here.

Comment

I am just about to watch this one. I had to DVR it.
      sigpic
      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
      "...phu...ah..."
      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

i thnk it was great. It answered some questions and told a lot of backstory on the island

it was one of hte few episodes lately that had my attention all the way through
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Pretty good episode. Answers some questions, but creates others.

Can we conclude that MIB is a smoke monster and not actually Jacob's brother? I think that's safe to say. So what is MIB actually? Is 'he' actually the island? Or rather, the personification of the island?

I'll write more later. Right now I'm extremely PO'ed after a terrible Cavs loss.

Proud supporter of His holy BAGness!

Comment

Smokey is the 'ghost' of Jacob's brother, so to speak.

and possibly what Mother was trying to keep contained. I'm not sure if she was really protecting hte light or if the light was a trap, a lure to bring in a new host to allow smokey to get out
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

First off, what language were they speaking at the very beginning? Her dress and hair made me think at first she was Latin (Greek/Roman). I did not catch all of it, but I thought I heard the mother say "gratias". Unfortunately I was in the kitchen at the time, with the volume turned up, it was still hard to hear. Also Claudia the name is Roman, but Jacob is Hebrew (or at least the English variant that she spoke, she did not say Jacobus).

Second, long episode for very little information, but only with more questions. Who was the woman that raised the two boys? Why did she not want them to leave? Why...why ....why. All in all I think this episode was a little bit drawn out to serve it's purpose.

Now, finally I have to rant. As I have been fearing for some time, I am definitely afraid this show is going to pull a BSG on us. I did not watch 6 seasons of this show for it to be some religious/supernatural. I was under the impression, and rightly so thanks to the producers and network that this was a Science Fiction show. However if this show ends with some "God" ending, I will forever be done with Lost, these writers and producers, and any more of these "mystery" shows.

Comment

Episode was fine. It was just an origin story, and introduced a few elements that'll no doubt come in handy in the next few episodes (Like say, the fact that Desmond can probably resist being turned into the Smoke Monster if he went into the island's heart, unlike MIB). It has one thing I'm taking to heart: Not everything will be answered, and oftentimes the answers we get will lead to more questions, and the collective fandom needs to get over that. The show doesn't need to be bogged down with answers - that's for the hardcore fandom to do - they'll take the circumstantial evidence the show gave them and answer their own questions. It may suck, but if they didn't realise by season three or so that not everything would be answered, or by season five they didn't realise that the things answered are ambiguous at best, that's their misconception on how Lost operates.

Notice the title? It makes sense, doesn't it?

I'm looking for just the remainder of the story in the last hours - if MIB will die, who will replace Jacob, what's Desmond's role?, what's the alt reality's role?, and most importantly, where are our favourite characters going to end up?
                ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

mib and smokey are different entities.

mib is dead and jacob didn't kill him...he was unconscious when he floated into the light and presumably got killed by the smokey who got released and took his memories and form just like it did with locke.

locke's body was buried and so was mib's body.

Comment

Wow, just wow, this esp was an enlighting of who jacob and the mib(his twin brother) is all about and who they are and how they came to be, and how did the tunnel of light produce the smokey monster, it was interesting cause it showed the wine bottle and the game that the 2 brothers were playing with the black and white stones, that jack and kate found at the end, it blew me away.,,,, can't get over it that this is coming to an end.

Comment

Originally posted by Nemises View Post

mib is dead and jacob didn't kill him...he was unconscious when he floated into the light and presumably got killed by the smokey who got released and took his memories and form just like it did with locke.

If that was the case, why is this smoke monster still following the same rules and has the same desires that the MIB had? The MIB was told that he couldn't kill his brother Jacob. We know not-Locke/smokie needed a loophole in order to kill Jacob. Someone to indirectly kill Jacob for him. If the smoke monster simply took the MIB's memories and form, i don't think it would be following the same rules as the MIB. I think when the MIB was exposed to the light (likely the electromagnetic properties of the island), his Consciousness and anger formed into the smoke monster. Earlier in the season not-Locke said Jacob stole his body, since it was Jacob who pushed the MIB into the water where he floated into the light, its likely not-Locke was referring to that.

Comment

I thought the episode was fantastic. Like the mother said at the beginning, the questions will just lead to more questions. I think those that don't like the answers they are receiving need to just enjoy the episode for what it was. An origin story. But not THE origin story. The fact that it starts with the revelation that the twins are just candidates in their own right was brilliant.
                        It's beer o'clock. Now where the HELL is my riot !?!

Comment

Originally posted by Nemises View Post

Smokey is MIB. He just lost his body. That's why he told Richard that Jacob stole his body. They are the same person/thing.
                          || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

I think the light creates a manifestation of w/e is in a person's heart/soul when they enter it and that's what makes it so dangerous. Adam (MIB) was thrown into it after he had been pushed into a state of anger and hate from seeing Eve stop him from leaving the island and killing all of his people. It was interesting that when he woke up he saw the smoke coming up over the trees before he saw the village destroyed.
                            || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

i'm not sure how i feel about this episode. i'm sick of more questions being given than answered.

i'm going to ask some questions, and i hope someone(s) can answer them.

1- did jacob accidently kill his brother (when he was floating into the light cave)?

2- did the brother ever actually be given a name?

3- why did the woman have to kill the mother of jacob/brother?

4- is smokey really the brother, or did smokey just take on the image of him?

5- why did the woman/fake mom like brother more? was it be/c he was more inquisitive and she thought he'd make a better island protector candidate?

6- was brother really a bad guy? (he didn't appear to be)

7- what language was fake mother speaking to the real mom? (what was real mom's language?)

i know some of you have asked these questions (i read the thread first), but i might have missed something in the ep, or someone might be reading that has a theory of two of answers.
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X