how big is an ori ship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by locutes View Post
    did anyone just consider that NO SHIP in SG is properly scaled, the scales vary soooo much that there is no real size capable of being taken from visual evidence
    Yes... it has been said already that ships are not scaled properly... note the "300m-500m" gap, does that sound like its all been worked out properly according to scale?? I think not. Your point is valid, of coarse, but based on ALL the scales shown its still easy to come up with a maximum and minimum, as I've tried to do

Comment

Originally posted by Amann View Post
      2/3rd to 3/4th of the Ha'tak length isn't 300 meters of a Hatak. A standard Ha'tak is 700 meters.

2/3rd of the length is 466 meters.

3/4th of the length is 525 meters.

I am willing to accept a compromise. I said it was 700 meters, but we could say that the size discrepancy is an illusion of the eye, but that would only go so far. after all, 200 meters or so is hard to tell over multi KM distances as we show in space, especially when the ships are moving and many of the shots we get are at angles. We know its not 200 meters, but 500 meters I can probably accept.

Although if it was a flagship Ha'tak that we saw compared to the daedalus.....then it would be 1000 meters for a flagship Ha'tak....

666 meters for 2/3rd of the length.

750 meters for 3/4ths of the Length.

So yeah......let's just say it was a standard Ha'tak for the sake of being conservative. roughly 500 meters if it was a standard Ha'tak, and 700 meters if it was a flagship Ha'tak we saw.
      wow so you know math... but a ha'tak is not 700m it is closer to 1000m
      and what do you have to back up your claims? nothing and when you have tried you have used references we in the 3d community discarded long ago due to inconsistensy issues ergo you have nothing that supports your POV exept pointless speculation from a fanwank... i mean fanfiction writer.. that have what 8km vessels? in his story which imo is classic fanwank... and your obvious need for "wanking" is spilling into this discussion.

so decide are you going to trust what you see on tv or are you going to head the word of the 3d comunity? or plainfully disregard it as you have done any other logic?

Originally posted by locutes View Post
      did anyone just consider that NO SHIP in SG is properly scaled, the scales vary soooo much that there is no real size capable of being taken from visual evidence
      i tried to tell this fool that before but it was disregarded.

Originally posted by Gala View Post
      Yes... it has been said already that ships are not scaled properly... note the "300m-500m" gap, does that sound like its all been worked out properly according to scale?? I think not. Your point is valid, of coarse, but based on ALL the scales shown its still easy to come up with a maximum and minimum, as I've tried to do
      no comig up with a general scale for the SG ships is near impossible as they have all been either scaled up or down depending on what TPTB needed for that exact cg cutscene.
      if any of you knew anything about cg there would be no debate.
      Last edited by Alx; 11 June 2010, 02:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alx View Post
        wow so you know math... but a ha'tak is not 700m it is closer to 1000m
        Wow, I don't know how much of an idiot you got to be to not realize that a Ha'tak is that large. It has been known to be that large AT LEAST. I don't understand how retarded you have to be to think it could be smaller when it's never been shown to be that small EVER. The fact of the matter is you thought 300 meters was 2/3rd to 3/4th of 700 meters showcases how idiotic you really are in terms of simple math. Perhaps you should rethink your "expertise" on scaling and 3D before you open your mouth. If the Ha'tak was larger than 700 meters, it would only make my hypothesis that the 304 is 500-700 meters long seem conservatively small! ( I did say that I could accept the 304 to be 500 meters long maybe.)

Heck, even from the picture posted above in which the original poster said the ship looked to be 2/3rd's to 3/4th the size of a Ha'tak, that just makes my figures of 500-700 meters absolutely right! Especially when you said that a Ha'tak is closer to 1KM!

I dunno if you really did mean a Ha'tak is bigger than 700 meters or not.....or you were trying to say my figure of 700-1000 meters is wrong for a Ha'tak, its kinda hard to tell with your brainless argument what exactly you were saying, so I tried to cover all possible interpretations of it.

and what do you have to back up your claims? nothing and when you have tried you have used references we in the 3d community discarded long ago due to inconsistency issues
        Yeah, because your 3D community is the ULTIMATE authority right? GOD FORBID that someone question your words. You are the hieght of authority, you can dictate the length of ships and no one can question your authority. HERETICS WILL BE PURGED! Please....

I suppose you have alot in common with the Inquisition. And last I checked, pointless speculation didn't include canon evidence and logical conclusions from visual evidence. However, pointless speculation does include your VAGUE statements of "its been done before!" You know what we call people like you that refer to a community without an argument? That's right, its called "appeal to authority". It's no less childish than saying "my mommy and daddy told me so". I give you visuals from multiple episodes. give a clear and reasoned argument, and they DO override your speculation because a few episodes don't add up, but the majority of episodes DO add up to consistency. You simply sit on your high horse and spout off at me without any counter arguments or visuals or ANYTHING to substantiate your claims than "oh, its been done in the 3D and Art Community". You would LOVE to dismiss or disregard what is clearly CANON, but you clearly cannot without making yourself look like an idiot.

I don't have the time to read through god knows how many freaking posts to find holes to pick in your silly arguments, but if you can't even make a substantial argument without "Insults" and "appeals to authority", that already points out how weak and dimwitted your argument truly is.

ergo you have nothing that supports your POV exept pointless speculation from a fanwank... i mean fanfiction writer.. that have what 8km vessels in his story which imo is classic fanwank.
        Now I know without a shadow of a doubt, you have never read my fanfic. This makes you look even more like an idiot when you plainly dismiss an entire fanfiction due to a ship classes size. If you ever read my story, those 8 km long ships got pwnt on more than one occasion. I can count about 4 instances off the top of my head right now where the Angelan class got pwnt. The definition of fanwank is when a ship can do things the others cannot and would utterly pwn all else. Yeah, that really applies to a ship class that has gotten destroyed or severely damaged in a fight. So is the 304 with Asgard Beam weapons fanwank now? Or an Aurora class when it pwns the Wraith? No, because we have seen 304's get destroyed despite beam weapons, and Auroras have gotten pwnt in almost every episode that featured them fighting.

And we know there are ships in the stargate universe that are longer than 8 km, hence why those ships are 8 kilometers long. I do love how you insult my fanfiction, it showcases your lack of an argument even more clearly. One has to just view this thread to point out you have no evidence to substantiate your claims than your....there is that phrase again...."Appeal to Authority". Plus this is an "ad hominem attack", attacking the man rather than the argument. I have insulted your intelligence and your debating style, but I also attacked your claims and have asked you to show the proof after I have showed mine. Certainly after countless thousands of posts in your 3D community, you have had more time to perfect an argument to counter mine than I could possibly do.

so decide are you going to trust what you see on tv or are you going to head the word of the 3d comunity? or plainfully disregard it as you have done any other logic?
        I'm sorry if I do not bow down to your authority as ultimate canon dictator, oh so wise one. I just think canon observations override fan speculation any day of the week, like they should. You are no better than the fanwanking trekkie newsgroups who insist a Federation trooper could kill anyone or anything in the multiverse or that Star Trek could pwn most other Sci-Fi series. Clearly not the case

(Apologizes to Star Trek fans. I love Star Trek, but I know Trek ships or soldier would get utterly pwnt in the Stargate and Star Wars universes just to name a few. A guy carrying a M16 would probably have a fair chance of killing a Feddie soldier on the ground.
        Last edited by Amann; 11 June 2010, 04:18 AM.
        sigpic

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4907261/1/Golden_Dawn

^ My new fanfic ^ Enjoy and please subscribe!

(Shameless advertising ftw)

Comment

One second: 'no ship can be scaled correctly', the next second: 'trust the 3d community'.

How does the 3d community even help?? SUrely if nothing is scaled correctly, no one can help?? Your language waspretty appauling too.. angry because someone disagrees with your POV on a forum?? Oh well. If you want to use that language, then, please don't reply to me.

How you can know that a hatak is closer to 1000km is beyond me, tbh, if it's never scaled correctly. Infact I thought how I did it was pretty much as accurate as you can get.... 500m - 900m.. HELLO??? Thats a 400meter gap on what it could be... Id say thats plenty considerate enough of scaliong issues and*most* people's OPINIONS of its size would fit into that gap.

And I do stress opinion.. as no official figures have been released, so your guess is as good as mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Gala View Post
            One second: 'no ship can be scaled correctly', the next second: 'trust the 3d community'.

How does the 3d community even help?? SUrely if nothing is scaled correctly, no one can help?? Your language waspretty appauling too.. angry because someone disagrees with your POV on a forum?? Oh well. If you want to use that language, then, please don't reply to me.

How you can know that a hatak is closer to 1000km is beyond me, tbh, if it's never scaled correctly. Infact I thought how I did it was pretty much as accurate as you can get.... 500m - 900m.. HELLO??? Thats a 400meter gap on what it could be... Id say thats plenty considerate enough of scaliong issues and*most* people's OPINIONS of its size would fit into that gap.

And I do stress opinion.. as no official figures have been released, so your guess is as good as mine.
            Because the 3D community has contacts within the show's cgi people, and they tell them the original size factors.
            If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
            Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
            If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
            Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
              Because the 3D community has contacts within the show's cgi people, and they tell them the original size factors.
              even if that is true, and that is a big if. It wouldn't really matter.

Considering how badly they fail to scale to begin with, the word of some person within the CGI team is not all that credible. And it is never the CGI people that dictate what canon is or is not. If it is shown on screen to be as big as it is, then it is as big as it is shown. Visuals always override all else, even dialogue. And it certainly overrides a "person on the CGI team", even if the 3D community had contacts in the team.

And the word of a sculptor or a CGI artist is never considered canon. What is canon goes with the show's creators or owners.

And the 3D art community is certainly not Ad Hoc Spokesmen for ultimate canon godhood on Stargate Ship Designs.
              sigpic

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4907261/1/Golden_Dawn

^ My new fanfic ^ Enjoy and please subscribe!

(Shameless advertising ftw)

Comment

Considering how badly they fail to scale to begin with, the word of some person within the CGI team is not all that credible. And it is never the CGI people that dictate what canon is or is not. If it is shown on screen to be as big as it is, then it is as big as it is shown. Visuals always override all else, even dialogue. And it certainly overrides a "person on the CGI team", even if the 3D community had contacts in the team.

And the word of a sculptor or a CGI artist is never considered canon. What is canon goes with the show's creators or owners.

And the 3D art community is certainly not Ad Hoc Spokesmen for ultimate canon godhood on Stargate Shipdesigns.
                well to controdict ur self ur scales are incorrect as well as every ones on here then so by u arguing about the size and the fact that u attempted to scale the ship ur self jsut like every one else has on this site make ur scaling incorrect as well w/e size you say sooooooooo to end this argument

TOO EACH THEIR FRIGGIN OWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! get it got it good

Comment

BOYS

Dial it back.

If y'all can't keep calm and rational, then maybe you need to stay away from this topic
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

And the 3D art community is certainly not Ad Hoc Spokesmen for ultimate canon godhood on Stargate Ship Designs.
                    And the CGI artists know what TPTB want, and they can tell the 3D community. It's not TPTB that do the CGI effects, is it? They can tell us what the original model's size is, because the only reason that models are increased or decreased in size is dramatic effect (Camelot). So, really, visual canon is determined really by the CGI artists, unless TPTB give specific input that they want.
                    If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
                    Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
                    If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
                    Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Amann: I don't exactly know how reliable the "3D art community" is, but you seriously can not say that the CGI product is more reliable than the CGI artists' word.

That aside, I was wondering about a few things that could be used to reliably scale some of the ships.
                      Could the times when the camera zooms out from the interior through a window (Ha'tak in end of Season 1, Unending, Air Part 3) and comparison of fighters coming of ships be used to come up with a good size?

Comment

Just for my own edification, I went image trawling and got the best image I could find of the USS Ronald Reagan and several major landmark skyscrapers, rescaled them to approximate size with the really BIG ship chart early on in the thread and pasted them in.

I can't upload the whole pic, so here's the bottom corner, just download and do your own cut and paste to combine...

stargate ship comp2.jpg

Comment

Working...
                        X