X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how big is an ori ship

answer with estimate please
    R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

estimated at 3km in length but has been shown in several diffrent scales.

as usual there are no definitive scale answers in stargate as they dont seem to care about it.

Comment

Originally posted by asdf1239 View Post
      answer with estimate please
      Pretty darn big.

Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
      Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

in those pics the 3km scaling doesnt seem to far off but then you have the pics from when we see them being constructed in the ori galaxy where they are considerably smaller.

Comment

suppose the simple thing is, how wide is a supergate? the kawoosh from one of those filled the void at the dentre and maybe a bit more, id say its the width of the supergate plus ~35% the ships arent twice as long as they are wide i dont think
          sigpic
          THERE IS NO MORE POWER!!

Comment

Originally posted by Naquadah_nut View Post
            suppose the simple thing is, how wide is a supergate? the kawoosh from one of those filled the void at the dentre and maybe a bit more, id say its the width of the supergate plus ~35% the ships arent twice as long as they are wide i dont think
            the firs time we ever see a supergate carter mentions that it is 300m across but judging from those pics S09 just posted the ship is waaaaaaaaaay bigger then that as that city it is dwarfing is chulak.

we cant scale the ships in Stargate accuratle BC the people behind the CGI never have

Comment

Originally posted by Alx View Post
              estimated at 3km in length but has been shown in several different scales.

As usual there are no definitive scale answers in stargate as they don’t seem to care about it.
              In those pics the 3km scaling doesn’t seem to far off but then you have the pics from when we see them being constructed in the Ori galaxy where they are considerably smaller.
              Actually I’d say the 3km figure is probably a little high if you are looking for a median size figure for the Ori ships, but it is certainly not outside of the upper observable limits as illustrated nicely by s09119’s screen captures. Though as you also point out, there are other examples, like the scenes where the ships are being constructed, that portray them as much smaller, and most of the “in-space” shots showing the Ori ships relative to other spacecraft would place their length at somewhere in the middle, like in the 2200m to 2400m range.

The first time we ever see a supergate, Carter mentions that it is 300m across but judging from those pics S09 just posted the ship is waaaaaaaaaay bigger then that as that city it is dwarfing is Chulak.
              I do agree that there is a marked discrepancy in the sizes of the Beachhead supergate and the ones we see the Ori ships coming though later in the season. Most likely the real-world explanation is, as you say, just another example of scaling discontinuity on the part of the FX department; but from an in-universe perspective, there is a theory that I personally like that suggests that the Beachhead supergate was simply a scaled-down prototype designed to test the supergate concept before constructing the full-sized version. This is just a theory, and not necessarily canon fact; but it is certainly further supported by the fact that the Beachhead gate has a different number of segments than the later supergate, which in turn suggests that, in addition to being a different size, the segments may also have a slightly different shape as well.

We can’t scale the ships in Stargate accurately BC the people behind the CGI never have.
              I agree that this is perhaps the single most frustrating part of trying to scale any of the ships in Stargate.

I have been fascinated by scaling and size comparisons, sense I was a very young, and it’s one of those childhood interests that I never outgrew. In fact, it has become something of a passion (some might say, obsession) of mine over the years. I started creating my own sci-fi ship size comparison charts back in Junior High, and have continued to do so, in some form or another, for almost 25 years now. So as you might imagine, I take the art of scaling very seriously, and put a lot of pride into trying to make my charts as accurate as I possibly can.

Determining the sizes for the ships in some sci-fi shows, such as Star Trek or Star Wars, is fairly simple, as there are a myriad of official publications and reference manuals that specifically list ship dimensions, and most of the time those figures can be confirmed though careful measurements of effect shots from the shows themselves. As a result, ships like the Enterprise-D or Imperial Star Destroyers, have sizes that are very well established and agreed upon, and you can in turn use those ships as measuring sticks to help determine the scales of other ships. Official publications are not always correct or consistent in their figures, and with any show FX shots are not always totally constant, but most of the time you can use them to come up with figures that most fans can agree with.

This is simply not the case for Stargate ships. There are almost no official Stargate publications to speak of with information on ship specs. The one and only exception that I am aware of contained a LOT of questionable and/or contradictory information. To make matters worse, as you pointed out, the FX people for Stargate have been, from the beginning, quite notorious for arbitrarily rescaling ships whenever they felt like it. When they’ve wanted a given ship to look more menacing or just to give it that “wow” factor they would scale it up; but then when that same ship would encounter something even more powerful or whatever, they would scale it down. They have always been far more concerned with the look and feel of a ship on screen than in maintaining any sense of scale continuity. This makes it virtually impossible to compute, with absolute certainty, exact measurements for almost any Stargate ship.

As a result, when you get threads like this one, asking how big is some particular Stargate ship, typically what you get is one of two kinds of responses. Either you get wild speculations based on “feelings” or “impressions” which have no real empirical basis, or you have someone who attempts to scale the ship by picking one or two episodes or scenes (and more often than not, ones that show the ship scaled as close to his preconceived “impressions” of how big he thinks it should be), taking all of his measurements from only those scenes, then tries to convince everyone else that his measurements are the only valid ones.

I, however, prefer a completely different approach, one in which I am far less concerned with accuracy then I am with precision. Rather than picking a mere handful of scenes and basing all of my measurements on them, I try to survey all scenes in which that ship appears (particularly those in which there is another ship or some other object to compare it to) throughout the whole series, to derive a kind of comparative and statistical average for the ship’s length. In other words, I’m not really interested in exact measurements of the ship in any one particular scene, but instead I want to find an approximate size that best represents how the ship was most often scaled over the whole series, while still corresponding to any ship-specific scaling cues (like window configurations, surface details, etc.) if available, and balanced so that every ship’s size can correspond as consistently as possible relative to the scaling of all other ships’ in the series throughout its entire run.

If all that sounds complicated…trust me, it is! It requires a huge investment of time and energy, but I still believe it is the most fair and accurate way to try to scale the ships from a show where official sources are nonexistent and scaling continuity seems to be a casualty of war.

In case any of you are interested, I’m including a link here to one of my size comparison charts, which contains most of the Stargate ships. Understand though that my scaling method, as stated above, does often lead me to conclusions that do not necessarily match with some commonly held, frequently quoted, fan scaling figures. I do not apologize for this. I stand by my size estimates, in that I believe them to be in the right ballpark, but beyond that I make no claims to them being 100% accurate or indisputable.

( NOTE: Try as I might, I have not been able to fix the problem with that link to my size comparison chart. I've tried several different picture hosting sites and all of them either rescale the picture or give an error message when you try to access it from a link. The ironic thing is, if you just cut and paste the address into the browser and hit ENTER, the picture loads just fine. So I'm not sure exactly what the problem is, but here is the web address... http://www.pixavid.com/uploads/lSsJY0.jpg Like I say don't click on the link, instead copy the address and paste it into your browser's address bar, then it should work ok. Sorry about the inconvenience. )
              Last edited by RavenCWG; 07 April 2010, 06:33 PM. Reason: Gave up trying to fix the link.

Comment

This is just pure speculation.
                In "Beachhead", Sam said that the Supergate was 300-400 meters across. So, assuming it's 350 meters, and Ori ship, when it came through the Supergate in "Camelot", it's largest sectoin encompassed most of the gate's width, so i'm going with an Ori ships width at roughly 325 meters. Judging from various screencaps, I would say that an Ori ship's width is nearly exactly 1/2 of its length. Based on this, my esimate for its length is 650 meters.
                sigpic
                All good things must come to an end...

Comment

Originally posted by -Plot::Twist- View Post
                  This is just pure speculation.
                  In "Beachhead", Sam said that the Supergate was 300-400 meters across. So, assuming it's 350 meters, and Ori ship, when it came through the Supergate in "Camelot", it's largest sectoin encompassed most of the gate's width, so i'm going with an Ori ships width at roughly 325 meters. Judging from various screencaps, I would say that an Ori ship's width is nearly exactly 1/2 of its length. Based on this, my esimate for its length is 650 meters.
                  And comparing that to the Ha'tak vessel that rammed into it, I'd say you are wrong.
                  If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
                  Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
                  If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
                  Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

I lolled by the poster before me

A 2km to 3km length is probably the most accurate, but the biggest SG problem is that not even a single ship is scaled at the same size in every epi, there was one epi in which a ship measured about 4diff lengths.

www.darkarmada.nl
                    www.runescape.com

Ode aan Nederlandsch-Indië

Comment

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
                      And comparing that to the Ha'tak vessel that rammed into it, I'd say you are wrong.
                      Stargate ship scaling...Gotta love it!

But seriously, someone designing these ships should just say..."Wait a minute: in this shot, is 650 Meters, in this one: its a couple kilometers, and in this one: its 400 meters..."
                      sigpic
                      All good things must come to an end...

Comment

Originally posted by -Plot::Twist- View Post
                        Stargate ship scaling...Gotta love it!

But seriously, someone designing these ships should just say..."Wait a minute: in this shot, is 650 Meters, in this one: its a couple kilometers, and in this one: its 400 meters..."
                        You know when there's human error when....
                        If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                          Pretty darn big.

Well in Flesh and Blood you see the Ha'tak crash against the Ori ship and it's clear that a Ha'tak is a fraction of a crusader's width.
                          http://www.stargatecaps.com/sg1/s10/...tml/01028.html
                          http://www.stargatecaps.com/sg1/s10/...tml/01029.html

With a Ha'tak roughly 700 meters wide, it would make the Ori ship almost two kilometers wide. So the one we see in the second picture in the quoted section above is small (or the one in F&B is big).
                          Besides, were two those pictures above from the same episode? The first one looks like the whole town is built on some mountain side, with the ship sitting at the top of it.
                          The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

the answer is very simple: BIG
                            An Axe age, A Sword age, Shields are sundered,
                            A Wind age, A Wolf age, Ere the World falls,
                            And no Man shall spare Another.

Driving fast has never killed anyone. Suddenly coming to a halt, that has killed many, many people

The Pope, an Irishman and an Italian are walking down a street, when one of them says "Hey look guys! A bar!"

Comment

Originally posted by james123182 View Post
                              the answer is very simple: BIG
                              Very specific.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X