Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was it really necessary to show James at the end?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was it really necessary to show James at the end?

I mean, the show hasn't been blatantly sexist insofar, but I got really ticked off when we were shown James randomly crying at the end of "Space".

Sure, in the past we'd had fan service scenes where either Chloe or James is naked or half-naked but, hey, at least that wasn't sexist. It was just opportunistic (of the writers/showrunners). Then, in this episode, all of a sudden, James is reduced to a 14 yearold girl!

First get the scene where she gushes about the Cute Scientist (henceforth known as the Cutist). Then, when she is told that he can hear her, she goes "Kill me now!" while she and TJ run off and TJ's practically skipping and being all "Girlfriend! That was so embarassing!"-ish. Then the Cutist turns her down, which seemingly leads to her crying in her room (half-naked, I might add).

I mean, what gives?! These are strong military women! Soldiers! James has always been portrayed as the one with the Big Boobies Who Can Kick Most Guys' Asses. Yet one guy turns her down and she is reduced to tears? Really?! Unless I'm going senile, I don't remember Eli crying when Chloe ended up going out with Scott. And he's a softie civilian! Meanwhile, just because James is a woman, she stereotypically breaks down in tears?!

I thought we were past this, PTB.

I may be mistaken, but I believe her bosoms were actually increasing in size as time went by. So, maybe it's a way to relieve pressure. Quite literally, or she might pop.

Now, seriously speaking...I didn't see the point of that scene. Meh...

Comment

There was a scene that was taken out in the final cut that showed an interaction, or a lack of, between James and Scott. That scene with James crying was supposed to allude to that. But any rational thinking person could come to a conclusion that she was crying about Scott. I mean, that moment was shown next to Scott and Chloe in bed. I would think that people could pick that up.

EDIT: Maybe I am just looking into it too much, but I believe reading on JM's blog that he said something very similar to what I drew from that scene.

There are no regrets. Thank you Brad Wright and everyone else for SGU,
      and the amazing Stargate franchise in general.

Comment

I figured it was more general loneliness and such, than being specifically because of Caine.

Comment

You may want to sit down for this.

According to JM, she was crying because she lost Scott to Chloe, as indicated by the transition from Scott/Chloe to her.

No wait! Stop! Put that knife down! I'm just the messenger!! NOOOOOOO-

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
            You may want to sit down for this.

According to JM, she was crying because she lost Scott to Chloe, as indicated by the transition from Scott/Chloe to her.

No wait! Stop! Put that knife down! I'm just the messEnger!! NOOOOOOO-
            Yup, that's it. I picked up on this before I read that on JM's blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Orion Antreas View Post
              There was a scene that was taken out in the final cut that showed an interaction, or a lack of, between James and Scott. That scene with James crying was supposed to allude to that. But any rational thinking person could come to a conclusion that she was crying about Scott. I mean, that moment was shown next to Scott and Chloe in bed. I would think that people could pick that up.

EDIT: Maybe I am just looking into it too much, but I believe reading on JM's blog that he said something very similar to what I drew from that scene.
              She's known about them for some time now. Why cry now over it? If that's true, then that makes it a little less sexist, but still sexist.

Originally posted by Naonak View Post
              I figured it was more general loneliness and such, than being specifically because of Caine.
              Even if that were true, why have her cry at all? She could just look sad or something. Why have James of all women, the physically strongest of all women on-board, break down in tears because of "Loneliness" or "Lack of Scott"?

Comment

Yup, that's it. I picked up on this before I read that on JM's blog.
                Even better, it was JM's episode. Not to mention, I think we know James well enough to know that she wouldn't be reduced to crying over a guy she barely knows, especially considering the guy (Dr. Caine) never said he wasn't interested in her.
                Sig by Pandora's Box
                sigpic

Comment

i read on joe's blog of the explanation of why james was crying, and i just

i love ship , but the boat on me wanting a scott/james ship passed *b/c* scott dropped a great *woman* in favor of chloe of 90210. if he has such rotten taste, james is better off without him. REALLY.

so, yeah, i wasn't impressed at all.
                  Last edited by majorsal; 04 April 2010, 01:43 PM.
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
                    Even if that were true, why have her cry at all? She could just look sad or something. Why have James of all women, the physically strongest of all women on-board, break down in tears because of "Loneliness" or "Lack of Scott"?
                    Depth, or something? Physically badass, but emotionally... not?

Comment

She's known about them for some time now. Why cry now over it? If that's true, then that makes it a little less sexist, but still sexist.
                      JM said it's not actually about Scott and Chloe together, but how Scott treats her in said scene. Indeed, I wish these kinds of things wouldn't be cut.

Haha, this reminds me of our "Why show them having sex?" argument we had oh so long ago. Why not just show them kissing, or cuddling instead? And while I'd still say "Why not?", I'd also point out that James has been through a lot. So has the whole crew, sure, but I actually like seeing the softer or more vulnerable sides of people. Everybody cries, after all, and crying implies profound sadness in most cases.

I think she's feeling profoundly upset, and I think it was portrayed quite well as is.
                      Sig by Pandora's Box
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Naonak View Post
                        Depth, or something? Physically badass, but emotionally... not?
                        It's still sexist in my opinion. It's always a woman crying over something like getting dumped. Even the "physically badass" ones. Never a man. Not even a "wimp geek" (don't get me wrong, I love him) like Eli.

Comment

She's probably known about it, but she's finally come to terms that it is officially over. Maybe she hoped it was only a one-time or short lived thing. But how is it sexist? You telling me this crap doesn't happen in life? Please. Both guys and girls cry about the other months after losing them. It's a part of reality and this show is attempting to portray that. I honestly don't see any sexism.

Comment

Maybe this whole experience, with Scott and sexy widower will turn her off men for good. Ya hear that, Wray? Make your move, fast!

Comment

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
                              Haha, this reminds me of our "Why show them having sex?" argument we had oh so long ago. Why not just show them kissing, or cuddling instead? And while I'd still say "Why not?", I'd also point out that James has been through a lot. So has the whole crew, sure, but I actually like seeing the softer or more vulnerable sides of people. Everybody cries, after all, and crying implies profound sadness in most cases.

I think she's feeling profoundly upset, and I think it was portrayed quite well as is.
                              Because it's unnecessary? Also, not everybody cries onscreen on Stargate. And it's funny that it's a woman crying over something as relatively trivial as the guy she used to have casual sex with now ignoring her.

Not even Spencer cried when he was so depressed he killed himself, yet James cries because Scott is ignoring her? Say what now?

Comment

Working...
                              X