Amy's Choice (3107/507)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
    I find it interesting that after all the good the Doctor has done, deep down inside, he still hates himself. I wonder when he'll stop looking at himself as the destroyer of races and instead start seeing the truth (at least from another show ): Some must be sacrificed, if all are to be saved. For the universe to continue, to survive and grow, the Daleks and the Time Lords simply had to go and he was the instrument of that action. When will he start seeing the good in himself? I thought he was done with this self-loathing angst.
    I don't think we'll see the end if it any time soon - that self-loathing is a powerful motivation for the Doctor to keep doing what he does, and a part of me wonders if isn't just related to his actions during the Time War, if it goes much further back and whether the big, dark secret about the Doctor that keeps getting alluded to may play a role in his self-loathing.

Besides, I'd say it does make him a more three-dimensional character and balances his amazing skills, wisdom and talents - to a degree. As long as he doesn't go completely emo, and Matt Smith keeps playing him the way he has been, I'm fine with it.
    And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
    sigpic
    Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

i agree
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
        I don't think we'll see the end if it any time soon - that self-loathing is a powerful motivation for the Doctor to keep doing what he does, and a part of me wonders if isn't just related to his actions during the Time War, if it goes much further back and whether the big, dark secret about the Doctor that keeps getting alluded to may play a role in his self-loathing.

Besides, I'd say it does make him a more three-dimensional character and balances his amazing skills, wisdom and talents - to a degree. As long as he doesn't go completely emo, and Matt Smith keeps playing him the way he has been, I'm fine with it.
        Well said. The emo part of it was what was starting to get a little tiresome for me. We saw quite a bit of that with Doctors 9 and 10 where the self-loathing distorted the Doctor's ability to see the truth, at least from my point of view. He's basically a good guy who did what he had to in extreme circumstances for the greater good of the known universe but he hates himself for it. If he were just lonely, that's one thing. But the self-loathing and loneliness when he has, in my view, no real reason anymore to hate himself or feel lonely...well, you're right that if Matt Smith keeps it more subtle and the writing doesn't go overboard with those aspects, I'll also be fine with it.
        sigpic

Comment

Overall, it wasn't a bad episode. Nothing truly great.

I liked the idea of a cold star, but that should've been the dead give away that that one was a dream world.

I wonder if at some future episode thehy'll find a way to split off the evil Doctor to have a recurring character.

Maybe even eventually to team up with the Master.

Oh come on, you know the Master's coming back. He always comes back. Just like the Daleks.

Comment

i agree. i do think they should do that but then wouldn't the doctor be to nice without evil in him? i do think they will bring back the master after all how many times has he died and returned in the old plus new series. i think he will return and even tho we understand him a little i think he will still be as big and bad as ever
            sigpic

Comment

The Dream Lord / the Valeyard can still be created and the Doctor can still have his evil side within him. He wouldn't lose anything or gain anything just because the Dream Lord / the Valeyard have come in to existence. The Doctor would still be the man we all know and the Dream Lord / the Valeyard would be the separate entities that they are and maybe make for a more dangerous foe for the Doctor because they are him and know him and can use that knowledge to bring the Doctor down.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
              K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

well said alan and i never thought of it like that. u are correct tho
                sigpic

Comment

I loved this one.
                  sigpic
                  Stargate Chicago Con 2010 Attendee

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                    The Dream Lord / the Valeyard can still be created and the Doctor can still have his evil side within him. He wouldn't lose anything or gain anything just because the Dream Lord / the Valeyard have come in to existence. The Doctor would still be the man we all know and the Dream Lord / the Valeyard would be the separate entities that they are and maybe make for a more dangerous foe for the Doctor because they are him and know him and can use that knowledge to bring the Doctor down.
                    Actually, assuming that the Dream Lord came back in the same fashion, or in a similar fashion, to how he did in this episode, it wouldn't be forever, and it would change the Doctor eventually.

After all, he did say that the spore would "die of starvation" (or something of the sort) if it tried to feed on Rory or Amy, implying that it eats the darkness.

Comment

But did anyone notice the Tenth Doctor in the van?

Comment

Originally posted by StringBassKnight View Post
                        But did anyone notice the Tenth Doctor in the van?
                        Probably not because it wasn't him.

Welcome to GW.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                        K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Hmmm... Not bad, I liked the twist of the two dream worlds, although two body snatcher episodes in succession was a bit much.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X