• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Vampires of Venice (3106/506)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO SERIES 31
    THE VAMPIRES OF VENICE
    EPISODE NUMBER - 3106 (506)

A romantic trip to sixteenth century Venice put Amy and Rory in danger from a school of alien fish creatures, who are posing as vampires and converting the city's women into their own kind.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 10 April 2011, 04:01 PM.

Another very interesting episode
    Nice to see that Rory will be spending some time travelling with us. (Should that be spoiler tagged)? I think hes quite a good character and it was nice to see the transition from him not really trusting or liking the Doctor to him wanting to stay with the Doctor for more adventures and that he trusts him now. It is also nice to see that a male is travelling with the Doctor, I liked the fact that Mickey travelled with Rose and the Doctor for a bit because it made it more interesting having 3 people. Hopefully Rory stays with them for awhile and we get to see some good interaction between the 3 of them. Its also nice because they are going old style Doctor Who with a male companion, and also more than 1 companion because we mostly see him with a solo female companion. Rory should be an interesting character to watch and I look forward to seeing how he and how he develops in future episodes.

As usual there was a certain comedy element to the episode which was nice, not too much, not too little, but some places made me LOL (e.g. the size of the UV lights Rorys small 1 and the Doctors large one the fitted in his pocket and Rory taking the mick out of the vampire/fish mother 'Mummy').
    It was also a nice storyline, with an interesting species (fish that when taking human form are mistaken for vampires) that wasnt necessarily good or bad, just trying to continue and rebuild their race, coming to a city made by refugees as the Doctor said.
    The inclusion of the cracks in the episode was nice backstory for the 'bad guys' and it also gave us some new insight into them, also the ending added to the cracks mystery, but it was also nice for the cracks to take a backseat in this episode after they were quite heavily focused on last episode.

Next weeks episode looks very interesting, looking forward to it
    Last edited by Teddybrown; 08 May 2010, 03:01 PM.

Comment

I have to admit that I actually quite like Rory. After he had finished complaining about the Doctor he seemed like a much better companion and right at the end he seemed alot like one of the old style male companions. It's not like it was when mickey was on the team briefly where The Doctor basically treated Mickey as more of Roses Pet, this time the Doctor treats the boyfriend like a real person. Almost reminds me of the days with the 5th Doctor.

The Story itself was good as well. I kinda liked how the adversary wasn't neccesarilly evil or bad, they just wanted to carry on their race. It wasn't really their fault that they considered the Humans as a lesser lifeform and you could obviously see that their death effected the Doctor alot.

Also.................I can't wait to see next week now.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Probably the weakest episode of the season so far. I was expecting more to be honest, but it just didn't really grab me as much as previous episodes. It was good that no crack appeared, even though a crack did play an important part in the episodes back story.

I am liking Rory, he's not very... manly for lack of a better word but I did enjoy him defending Amy (who'd have though the mother comment would have worked) and I look forward to seeing the character gaining more confidence over the rest of his appearances.

I do think there was a bit too much humour in the episode, although I did like the Doctor appearing in the cake.

My favourite moment: I, am, Ventian. Such a Sparta ripoff, but having the character take all the women with him made it seem like very fitting last words.

sigpic

Comment

Hmm. Not bad. Better than Victory of the Daleks, quite funny, and I liked the relationship between the Doctor and the head/queen/fish alien...thingy. Not friends, not enemies, quite civil and respectful, but still opposed. Her last lines to him were good too.

Rory was...interesting. I thought he should have manned up a bit more since Prisoner Zero, but I do sort of like him. I hope he gets more confident as the episodes go on, because I can see a bit of potential in him. I liked how he wasn't fazed by the TARDIS and understood how it could be bigger on the inside, how he told the Doctor what was so dangerous about him, and also how they developed some sort of understanding towards the end.

Did I catch a sly reference to David Tennant with the Doctor talking about not wanting to run into Casanova (since he played Casanova in RTD's BBC version before Who), or am I overthinking this?

The Doctor popping out of the cake was a bit odd for me. I do like how this Doctor doesn't quite get humans and relationships and keeps making awkward comments. It's very refreshing compared to the all too human Tenth Doctor, reaffirms his alien-ness.

LOVED seeing William Hartnell on the ID thing. Enjoyed a lot of the dialogue, but thought the story was lacking.
          And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
          sigpic
          Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

I'm still not convinced of Matt Smith. The show seems to be lacking something. As for the new version of the theme music, they should have kept the old score from the last series. Sorry to be picky.
            C.J.

Comment

Ok, I like Rory and I like the fact Amy still loves him and treats him like a proper boyfriend, unlike Rose did with Mickey.

The episode...Meh, not good, not bad. Thank the Goddess they decided not to jump on the Emo-Vampire-Twilight bandwagon, instead it was more like Bram Stoker's Dracula (the one with Gary Oldman & Keanu Reeves)

I see the SEP field generator's are back, Goddess Bless Douglas Adams, were would Sci Fi be without an SEP field.

I loved the William Hartnell Library card gag

Comment

Once again another successful Doctor Who story! Very enjoyable! Matt and Karen were wonderful to watch as usual and continue to shine as the Doctor and Amy! I'm pleased to see Arthur Darvill join them as a regular cast member! I look forward to seeing more from this TARDIS crew of the 11th Doctor, Amy Pond, and Rory Williams in the adventures to come!

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Liked this episode. A potentially heavy and depressing topic set off nicely by smattering of humour. enough to stop you coming away morbid, but enough to leave you thinking....

Oh and Rory As others have said, he highlighted to the Doctor how dangerous he was and eventually found himself jumping on the Companion bandwagon Of course, it took a fight with an alien to do it, but hey, nice to see him on board

I did like the... can we really call them enemies? I suppose so since they're motives were against the Doctor's but really, they were refugees looking to start again. Like the Doctor said at the start, Venice was built by refugees escaping Atilla the Hun, and they were escaping the silence.

And more mystery to teh Cracks

All in all, good espidoe.

Now need fast forward button for life because next week looks amazing!
                  If found, is probably lost on the way to Azaroth or the Pegasus Galaxy
                  sigpic

Comment

Despite the indifference from a lot of people, I actually really enjoyed this episode.
                    I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                    Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

I enjoyed it. Nothing too deep & brain taxing, just a simple story but thoroughly enjoyable for all that.

I just love Rory. I'm really glad he's getting to go on some more adventures. I had a good laugh at the beginning with the Doctor popping out of the cake and the part when they were talking about who should go with Amy and what part they would play.

I was so relieved that the vampires turned out to be Space Fish rather than going down the ghastly Twilight road.

Comment

I enjoyed it too. It wasn't a Moffat sweeping epic, and the poor episode was stuck with coming right off the bat of The Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone doubler of awesomeness, and I liked it better than Victory of the Daleks. Why? Let's get into it!

One: Humour. This was almost a bust-a-gut in several places. Rory/Doctor animosity is great - the little jabs made at each other about being Amy's boys and the UV stick sizes were hilarious, as was the Doctor's arrival at Rory's stag party (Just the look on Rory's face. Priceless). Those humorous moments were contrasted with Rory's stab at the Doctor for getting people in trouble, which was lovely. I expected the Doctor to get in Rory's face there and detail his past screw ups, but that he didn't also speaks just as loudly and as awesomely. I hope Rory sticks around for a few episodes or so - he's got a charm to him, even if it does make him into a Butt Monkey half the time.

Two: The Doctor/Amy stuff. The very clarifying stuff about her kiss in the last episode between the Doctor and Rory was pretty much how I interpreted it, and the misunderstandings of their relationship were well handled - they weren't angsty or anything, just light.

Three: Our baddies for the day. Very very morally gray kinda gals. That the Doctor had to extinct them was... ouch. It's true though - the guy's got a few dead species's under his belt, but I like how it wasn't a good Vs evil thing here with our Rosanna. It was murky and delicious, and nothing was spared. The extended time of the episode was used well, I noticed.

All in all, I enjoyed it. Not the bestest episodes, but it did pretty well for all it had on hand.
                        ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

1. That initial scene reminded me of the implantation scene from the SG1 pilot.

2. First impressions of Rory. Hmmm...looks workable.

3. Doctor coming out of cake...well he is an alien!

4. Saturn 9 species - well I suppose the Doctor could have found another planet for them to settle on, or even give them an isolated spot in the Pacific Ocean but they did not have the right to wipe out humanity!

Solid stuff
                          I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Not the best episode of the series but not to bad either. The next episodes trailer looked quite good.

Comment

Well, I didn't like Rory that much he kept telling Amy what to do and was too critical of the Doctor. Also he seemed to be a bit of a contradiction, on the one hand he was hands off my girlfriend and on the other he seems to be whip and a tad annoying. Sorry

Overall a good episode.

Comment

Working...
                              X