Chloe: I have no idea why I'm here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chloe: I have no idea why I'm here!

Why doesn't Chloe have something to do on the expedition yet? Before, it seemed like they tried to shoe-horn her in into a lot of situations for which she was unqualified. Then, all of a sudden, in "Space", she was just there taking up space. She didn't really do anything except each a not-tomato and get kidnapped.

Which was stupid to begin with. Who walks towards the alien combatants when they're infiltrating the ship?! You sound the alarm and let the armed men shoot them! You don't walk towards the hole they just drilled through the ship so they can kill/kidnap you!

Seriously, that girl lacks common sense.

Whenever we see her, she's never actually doing any work. Since the expedition is small to begin with and they keep losing crew members, shouldn't every crew member be put up for some tasks? Can't they have her work in the kitchen? Or maybe help with the hydroponics garden (nothing major)? Isn't she supposed to be trying to find her place on the expedition (that line was even included in the "Previously on..." flashback segment, yet all she did this episode was be the Damsel in Distress... so that's her place?)?

Finding her place aboard the Destiny is part of the character's journey. You don't want that resolved within 11 episodes. It would be like Data becoming perfectly human by season 2.
    Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Most definitely. I think she's on the show for a couple of reasons. For one, she makes the audience (yes, every person who watches SGU with no exception) angry. People do not like her, so TPTB keep her on to infuriate people, which makes sense given the fact that they only made SGU because they were super-depressed and want to share their depression with the rest of us.

Secondly, it doesn't work just to have her on to make the audience angry. That would be too obvious. Instead, you're right in that they have to try and shoe-horn her into random things to make it seem like they're doing something with her character. Chloe supporters would have you believe that her apparent uselessness up to this point is to emphasize her growth that we'll see in the future, and that her abduction is probably going to be a big catalyst for her change. And while TPTB as well as the actress even confirm this idea, they are wrong. There's probably no real hope for Chloe anyways, so bashing is our only option until TPTB listen.

Finally, I think she's on the show to just give us something to talk about. Let's face it, SGU is a dreadful show that is copying BSG, Caprica, Lost, 90210, Days of our Lives, Entertainment Tonight and Star Trek. We all know it's true. It's so obvious that this is the case, that it becomes boring just to criticize the show itself all the time. And therein lies Chloe's purpose! We get to make exciting threads like this (even though a bunch already exist).

Indeed, I think Chloe's only real purpose is to make fun of constantly, and that any mistakes or character flaws/weaknesses she exhibits are unforgivable and incomprehensible.

Great thread!
      Sig by Pandora's Box
      sigpic

Comment

Hehe... Good to see that after a couple months away from GateWorld, nothing has changed.

Chloe doesn't grind my gears too much. (Feel free to take that in any context you'd like ) I do admit though, that going towards the "boarding ring" was the worst decision for her to have made. Also, what did the soldier do? Did Chloe get "sucked in" to the ship or did an alien jump out, grab her then flee back in? Either way, why wouldn't Airman Redshirt have tried to assist? Heh, maybe he's just an SGU viewer...

Comment

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
          Most definitely. I think she's on the show for a couple of reasons. For one, she makes the audience (yes, every person who watches SGU with no exception) angry. People do not like her, so TPTB keep her on to infuriate people, which makes sense given the fact that they only made SGU because they were super-depressed and want to share their depression with the rest of us.

Secondly, it doesn't work just to have her on to make the audience angry. That would be too obvious. Instead, you're right in that they have to try and shoe-horn her into random things to make it seem like they're doing something with her character. Chloe supporters would have you believe that her apparent uselessness up to this point is to emphasize her growth that we'll see in the future, and that her abduction is probably going to be a big catalyst for her change. And while TPTB as well as the actress even confirm this idea, they are wrong. There's probably no real hope for Chloe anyways, so bashing is our only option until TPTB listen.

Finally, I think she's on the show to just give us something to talk about. Let's face it, SGU is a dreadful show that is copying BSG, Caprica, Lost, 90210, Days of our Lives, Entertainment Tonight and Star Trek. We all know it's true. It's so obvious that this is the case, that it becomes boring just to criticize the show itself all the time. And therein lies Chloe's purpose! We get to make exciting threads like this (even though a bunch already exist).

Indeed, I think Chloe's only real purpose is to make fun of constantly, and that any mistakes or character flaws/weaknesses she exhibits are unforgivable and incomprehensible.

Great thread!
          I like the Wesley Crusher one.

However I think people are just overthinking Chloe, shes just there because if she gets killed whole Stargate program gets revealed. And frankly TPTB would nev- Probably not do that.

Lets hope she "dies" some more like in Time.
          Tst

Comment

Originally posted by spinny magee View Post
            I like the Wesley Crusher one.

However I think people are just overthinking Chloe, shes just there because if she gets killed whole Stargate program gets revealed. And frankly TPTB would nev- Probably not do that.

Lets hope she "dies" some more like in Time.
            Don't get me wrong, I have my worries that TPTB will actually pull it off and give Chloe the character development she deserves. Honestly, I still think she has some of the most potential for growth given the very nature of the type of character she started at and currently is.

I just don't think we need multiple threads saying the same thing over and over. We get it, Chloe is useless so far and makes stupid (more like irrational, imo) decisions. Even those of us that actually like Chloe understand this. We don't need thread after thread of GW poster trying to convince us of this.
            Sig by Pandora's Box
            sigpic

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I have my worries that TPTB will actually pull it off and give Chloe the character development she deserves. Honestly, I still think she has some of the most potential for growth given the very nature of the type of character she started at and currently is.

I just don't think we need multiple threads saying the same thing over and over. We get it, Chloe is useless so far and makes stupid (more like irrational, imo) decisions. Even those of us that actually like Chloe understand this. We don't need thread after thread of GW poster trying to convince us of this.
              I think Chloe may really be blonde
              Tst

Comment

Originally posted by spinny magee View Post
                I think Chloe may really be blonde
                Maybe she's a Furling? That's why she wouldn't be afraid of the aliens boring a hole into the ship. They're one of the 4 races. They can handle puny Smurf aliens!
                Sig by Pandora's Box
                sigpic

Comment

Well regardless of what other people think of her, I think she is great. Besides TJ she is my favorite character on SGU. I think she will grow into a fantastic character.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                    Well regardless of what other people think of her, I think she is great. Besides TJ she is my favorite character on SGU. I think she will grow into a fantastic character.
                    And your third favorite is James. You just like boobies. Don't you lie to me!

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
                      Finding her place aboard the Destiny is part of the character's journey. You don't want that resolved within 11 episodes. It would be like Data becoming perfectly human by season 2.
                      These a difference between finding your place and having a useful function.

Originally posted by reddevil18
                      As i have speculated in other posts, more notably my SG1/SGA/SGU comparison thread(hint: 'm plugging my own thread, go read it), I do believe she suffers from Stupid Cow Disease.
                      That's the precursor to Mad Cow Disease, right?

Comment

Originally posted by reddevil18 View Post
                        I LUUURRRVE Chloe, TJ and James. Oh, and Wray. Then again, there's isn't an SGU character I actually dislike, so I'm not sure how informative that is.
                        Sig by Pandora's Box
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by reddevil18 View Post
                          Imma gonna lie! My third favorite is Eli followed by Rush....

Comment

I LUUURRRVE Chloe, TJ and James. Oh, and Wray. Then again, there's isn't an SGU character I actually dislike, so I'm not sure how informative that is.
                            Dislike Greer. It will irritate him.
                            Originally posted by aretood2
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

I don't have the episode with me, so I can't check; but I distinctly remember that Chloe didn't so much walk towards the hole as being dumbfounded by its appearance (the part of the ceiling fell when she was there already). She may have leaned in a bit to check it out - like Coronach said, it was more like irrational curiosity, which I completely understand.

Comment

Working...
                              X