Chloe: I have no idea why I'm here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KEK View Post
    I think you're approaching this in the wrong way. This isn't SG-1 where the characters are all ready-made archetypes who all have an established function within each episode, the development of the characters and their journey is half the story. So from a story-telling perspective, characters like Chloe, who have so much room for growth are probably more 'useful' than most.
    I agree, Chloe may end being an extremely useful character.

Comment

I think you're approaching this in the wrong way. This isn't SG-1 where the characters are all ready-made archetypes who all have an established function within each episode, the development of the characters and their journey is half the story. So from a story-telling perspective, characters like Chloe, who have so much room for growth are probably more 'useful' than most.
      The problem at the moment is that she is an archetype. To use sky's post, she is only a 'pretty young thing' and 'romantic interest for Scott and Eli'. There's no development at all. And since she has no redeeming value, I'm not sure I even care. BTW the SG1 characters did change along the years, maybe not in a 180 degree but in a realistic way.

But I must say she didn't bother me much in the last episode. I didn't like it when her character was all about teen drama, but this last time she was just a civilian victim of the Aliens (where she got sucked into the alien vessel while trying to run away ).

She's just a different character. A different archetype for me, which is ok as long as her character is not all about soap opera drama.
      Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

actually if Chloe DOES die, which i support as an alternative to remaining useless (though my ultimately preferred course of action is her becoming useful) then we have more use than the use she has now.

-Eli will be broken hearted, plenty of character development here as he has to deal with the death of his crush. he might even reveal his love.

-Scott is heartbroken, and either slips his hands in the next girl's pants or just mourns his loss, and gets cranky and all.

the two might even get in a fight! i mean, imagine the chemistry flying off the screen!.

as i said, a viable alternative and useful alternative to uselessness.

if the aliens take her and she gets killed in the ship's explosion, then she even got useful in not revealing all of destiny's secrets to the aliens. besides it would add character development to Young.

The problem at the moment is that she is an archetype. To use sky's post, she is only a 'pretty young thing' and 'romantic interest for Scott and Eli'. There's no development at all. And since she has no redeeming value, I'm not sure I even care. BTW the SG1 characters did change along the years, maybe not in a 180 degree but in a realistic way.
        SG1 always was more about the situation than the character, but that doesn't mean we get wonderful interactions between them.

Comment

I rather wondered if she wasn't somehow drawn towards the hole by the aliens. They apparently do have telepathic capabilities and some serious technology and it sure looked like the whole point of their first attack was to take another prisoner, probably one a lot less frustrating and difficult than Rush. I believe him when he said he put up quite a fight against their mind probing. So they take someone - she didn't seem completely awake, almost seemed to be sleepwalking a bit. That was my interpretation.

I also wondered slightly about them taking a female captive since they had a male. Yeah, I'm like Eli, seen too much bad sci-fi and read too many alien abduction stories. LOL

However, I think there was a real connection made between Chloe and Rush in Space and I wouldn't be surprised to see that have a major impact. It could make for a very complex emotional situation - Matt and Eli are both already in love with her, but if she's drawn to Rush of all people because of shared trauma (or even because of something the aliens did to the two of them)... that could get interesting.

I certainly hope she's in for some PTSD and aftereffects. I think she could have potential if she's allowed to experience and respond to trauma and to grow up.

Comment

We've seen her niche role in Justice and she was brilliant at it. She's stood up to Rush before and she stood up to Wray while defending Young. She's certainly a voice of reason and a Weir-esque character. Of course, the first time Weir walked into the light, she came back with nuclear weapons...
            sigpic
            More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
              We've seen her niche role in Justice and she was brilliant at it. She's stood up to Rush before and she stood up to Wray while defending Young. She's certainly a voice of reason and a Weir-esque character. Of course, the first time Weir walked into the light, she came back with nuclear weapons...
              Oh snap! Sounds like foreshadowing to me.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
                Why doesn't Chloe have something to do on the expedition yet? Before, it seemed like they tried to shoe-horn her in into a lot of situations for which she was unqualified. Then, all of a sudden, in "Space", she was just there taking up space. She didn't really do anything except each a not-tomato and get kidnapped.

Which was stupid to begin with. Who walks towards the alien combatants when they're infiltrating the ship?! You sound the alarm and let the armed men shoot them! You don't walk towards the hole they just drilled through the ship so they can kill/kidnap you!

Seriously, that girl lacks common sense.

Whenever we see her, she's never actually doing any work. Since the expedition is small to begin with and they keep losing crew members, shouldn't every crew member be put up for some tasks? Can't they have her work in the kitchen? Or maybe help with the hydroponics garden (nothing major)? Isn't she supposed to be trying to find her place on the expedition (that line was even included in the "Previously on..." flashback segment, yet all she did this episode was be the Damsel in Distress... so that's her place?)?
                But..but.. Chloe is pretty and nice. Um..thats all I got.

I don't find her invigorating like Greer and Rush. Or feel fan love like Young and Eli. On the plus side I don't find her dull and pointless like Wray.

She seems to be trying her best thats something.

But seriously.. I agree its a character journey.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuvok View Post
                  But..but.. Chloe is pretty and nice. Um..thats all I got.

I don't find her invigorating like Greer and Rush. Or feel fan love like Young and Eli. On the plus side I don't find her dull and pointless like Wray.
                  Characters like Wray or Telford can only be there, at least prominently, for a relatively short stint before their characters becomes repetitive, redundant and dull.
                  Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

chloe's purpose will become clear in time. it's only season 1
                    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                      chloe's purpose will become clear in time. it's only season 1
                      Indeed! What if she ends up being an Ancient disguised as a normal person!?

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                        That's Rush storyline. He was ascended but "downgrade" as a human mortal (possibly because he fell in love with a human), but he remembers the Destiny is the key to ascend again. So that's his mission.

Remember this post in season 7.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                          like ze ze said that's rush's story. cho cho could use the chair and become the ships ai
                          https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

All your arguments have her being/becoming something more/other than human. Is that the only way she can be interesting? I sure hope not.
                            sigpic
                            More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by GateroomGuard View Post
                              Well to simply play devil's advocate regarding Chole's curiosity. Maybe she was trying to help the soldier guy out. Her thought process may have been. "Maybe I can look see whats going on so the guy with the gun can stay in cover to better repel borders. After all I'm not really valuable to the crew, and this poor soldier-guard could get killed if he investigates and I couldn't live with myself if he died looking up a hole if I could have instead."

Okay maybe thats a stretch but its the best I've got. Besides how many times did O'Neill step into holes and have objects grab his head after his curiosity got the better of him.
                              My thoughts exactly.

Comment

Working...
                              X