Original Galactica Elements That Got Used In The RDM Version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Original Galactica Elements That Got Used In The RDM Version

I know that RDM claimed initially that he only re-watched one or two episodes of the original series because he didn't want his show to be a simple remake of it, but on close viewing there's a lot of elements from the original that ended up getting re-used in the new series beyond the obvious search for earth and the cylon genocide.

Off the top of my head:

- Baltar on a base ship for a significant period of time (The first half of the original series)
    - Fighters guiding the fleet through an incredibly bright, incredibly dangerous starfield (Saga of a Star World)
    - The Galactica launching an attack on a cylon outpost (In both versions called "The Hand of God")
    - The Pegasus turning up, in both cases commanded by a clearly nuts CO named "Cain"
    - Humanity arising on Kobol, which is now abandoned for some reason (Lost Planet of the Gods)
    - The Rebel Base Ship was giving visual cues like the Ship of Lights (War of the Gods, et al)
    - The Final Five more or less corresponded to the Seraphs (The ship-of-light folks) from the original show
    - "The Real Earth" introduced in Episode 10, season 4, corresponds from "Terra" (Message from Earth, Experiment in Terra)

There's others. Anyone else notice any I missed?
    Sincerely,

Kevin Long
    (The Artist Formerly Known As Republibot 3.0)
    http://www.kevin-long.com

Originally posted by Republibot 3.0 View Post
    I know that RDM claimed initially that he only re-watched one or two episodes of the original series because he didn't want his show to be a simple remake of it, but on close viewing there's a lot of elements from the original that ended up getting re-used in the new series beyond the obvious search for earth and the cylon genocide.

Off the top of my head:

- Baltar on a base ship for a significant period of time (The first half of the original series)
    - Fighters guiding the fleet through an incredibly bright, incredibly dangerous starfield (Saga of a Star World)
    - The Galactica launching an attack on a cylon outpost (In both versions called "The Hand of God")
    - The Pegasus turning up, in both cases commanded by a clearly nuts CO named "Cain"
    - Humanity arising on Kobol, which is now abandoned for some reason (Lost Planet of the Gods)
    - The Rebel Base Ship was giving visual cues like the Ship of Lights (War of the Gods, et al)
    - The Final Five more or less corresponded to the Seraphs (The ship-of-light folks) from the original show
    - "The Real Earth" introduced in Episode 10, season 4, corresponds from "Terra" (Message from Earth, Experiment in Terra)

There's others. Anyone else notice any I missed?
    What's your point? He was rebooting the series, not recreating it from scratch. It's expected that there would be a lot of plot elements from the original, right?
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
      What's your point? He was rebooting the series, not recreating it from scratch. It's expected that there would be a lot of plot elements from the original, right?
      I think it's just out of interest. Chill dude... lol
      sigpic
      "Science flies you to the moon.
      Religion flies you into buildings."

Comment

well he might have only watched a few of the episodes himself and just read up on the rest of the saga.......afterall.........wikipedia is a wonderful thing.
        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

you can add the "frak" to your list
          and, i re-watch some episodes from the original BSG recently, i really laughed when Baltar claimed to his own cylon centurions "...and I have a plan!" ,

Comment

In TOS Adama had a daughter named Athena.

In the Nu BSG Sharon got named Athena.
            sigpic

Comment

Was just listening to the BSG soundtracks...I never watched the original, but supposedly McCreary remixed the theme of the original as the 'colonial anthem' in the reboot.
              sigpic
              "Operation this-will-most-likely-end-badly is a go" ~Lt Col John Sheppard

Comment

Originally posted by Skarmory View Post
                Was just listening to the BSG soundtracks...I never watched the original, but supposedly McCreary remixed the theme of the original as the 'colonial anthem' in the reboot.
                Exactly, this was the original openning Theme

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                  My point is that he clearly wanted to take the basic premise of TOG and go his own way with it, so he clearly limited his exposure to the old show so as not to limit his choices, and by his own admission he was largely working on his own memories, which were very old. That's where he started out, anyway. As late as the season 1/2 break, he was still unsure if he'd involve the Pegasus, for instance.

I actually think the show was at its best when he was doing that.

Then, as the show progressed, he appears to have gone to the TOG well again and again for plot points that he didn't originally intend to use, and, I dunno, it just wasn't satisfying. I'm not going to blame the decline of the show on that, but they did kinda' happen around the same time frame.
                  Sincerely,

Kevin Long

Comment

I think the original series had a lot of neat ideas, although the show was a little on the hoaky side. They had laser canons and they used missiles to launch at other ships. But I think the show got to be ridiculous after awhile. I mean, think about it, Apollo getting into a fast draw gunfight with a cylon is really far fetched. Eventually they did find Earth and it was not the Earth they had hoped to find. They had hoped to find an Earth that was very highly technologically advanced and could help them defeat the Cylons.

Anyway, I think there are many similarities between the two series, but I guess that is to be expected, after all, both series are about the same thing. I didn't really get into this last Battlestar Galactica series, for some reason it didn't trip my trigger. I am not sure why I didn't care for it, it just wasn't a series I could get into. I watched several episodes, then I finally gave up on it.

Comment

I grew up on the orig. BSG...When the new came out I was very skeptical and almost resenting the changes, ie. Starbuck and Boomer being females, skinjobs, and a lot of the old elements not in the new. But after watching through I became a fan of the new as well and appreciate and think they did an excellent job on it. We have to remember the orig. series was set in the 70s, when they didn't have as good of special effects, a lot of the content, ie. sex scenes, violence and just the whole darkness of the new wouldn't have been shown on television at that time. They weren't trying to totally create a new BSG, but re-master it. Worked. I am a fan of both...the orig. because it was something wonderful to a child at that time, like Star Wars was and the new because it is something more visual appealing and still a great story.

Comment

The music playing in the flyover for Galactica's retirement ceremony was the theme music from TOS.

The kid that Boomer finds is Boxey, and in his limited (thank God) role, his back story is pretty much the same as it was in TOS.
                        sigpic
                        Check out my blog/forum! http://williamtelltale.blogspot.com/

Sci Fi TV shows I have watched all of: Star Trek (all shows), Battlestar Galactica (All shows) Firefly, V (old and new) Caprica, SG1, Stargate Atlantis, Stargate Universe, Fringe, Farscape, Lexx, Babylon 5

Currently watching: The Walking Dead, Falling Skies, Dr Who, Supernatural, Revolution, Red Dwarf, Under the Dome, Sleepy Hollow, Andromeda

Comment

I love the original series but could never get into the remake.
                          sigpic
                          Although bow ties are cool, the scarf is cooler!

Comment

Originally posted by 4thDoctor View Post
                            I love the original series but could never get into the remake.
                            Ultimately, you're a luckier man than the rest of us for that.
                            Sincerely,

Kevin Long

Comment

Working...
                            X