SGU Stargate Range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SGU Stargate Range

This has been bugging me for a few days now: despite there being no noticeable difference between the Destiny's gate and all the other seeded gates, the Destiny is supposed to be able to receive and send wormholes across billions of light years (the capability is there, it would work if not for the degradation of the energy storage medium), so why is Destiny only able to dial gates at barely interstellar ranges?

Every time it drops out of FTL it only has half a dozen or so gates it can access, while the MW gates can dial across the galaxy. It wouldn't be that big a problem as the Destiny gates pre-date the MW ones, but the fact is that the Destiny's gate is capable of dialing the MW despite being orders of magnitude further away than any of the Seed ship gates.

Does anyone have any explanations for this?

Its possible that Destinies systems lock out any other gates, possibly as some kind of safety feature or simply to allow the ancient explorers that were supposed to use the destiny to explore a smaller region of space.

"Oddly, this is familiar to you, as if it were from an old dream, but you can't exactly remember..."

Comment

Its because of the....

plot.

There would be less suspense if the people on the other planets didn't get to the gate when Destiny jumps to FTL and could just dial it again when she dropped out.

This is the best explanation you are going to get until they a inshow reason for this.

Comment

Power generation. There are no DHDs on the planets. The base of the stargate could absorb the residual energy, as well as storing a power source, such as a crystal, but my theory is that the computer on Destiny only counts planets that have the power reserves to dial back to Destiny. So, say (for the sake of an argument), that each gate on the planets could store 5.3^10 joules. Destiny arrives, and scans the area for Stargates capable of dialing back to Destiny (who wants to be stranded [other than Rush] ), then reports them on the computer.
        If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
        Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
        If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
        Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Possible. But these gates would have been storing energy for a very long time now, they should all be able to dial back.

Comment

Are you sure they have said you can't dial Stargates around? I would guess you could dial planet to planet or to or from the Destiny. The trick would be to figure out the addresses, of course.

You should also note that Stargates only work over roughly Galaxy wide distance. And the Destiny goes way beyond that distance, as it flies past Galaxies.

Comment

SGU gates are an older model and have a limited range. Either because of power concerns or because of the lack of correlative updates (in the DHD). The Destiny gate - and it alone - could dial farther because it has the ships power grid at is disposal, but you wouldn't be able to get back.

Even then it would need to have an eight or nine symbol address for them (no correlative updates = it can't interface with the gate network in that galaxy = it can't use the standard seven chevron address if it doesn't know where the gates are = it can only find the gates in rage of their beacons).
              Carter: "The singularity is about to explode!"

Comment

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
                Power generation. There are no DHDs on the planets. The base of the stargate could absorb the residual energy, as well as storing a power source, such as a crystal, but my theory is that the computer on Destiny only counts planets that have the power reserves to dial back to Destiny. So, say (for the sake of an argument), that each gate on the planets could store 5.3^10 joules. Destiny arrives, and scans the area for Stargates capable of dialing back to Destiny (who wants to be stranded [other than Rush] ), then reports them on the computer.
                That's my theory. The gate stores up the energy from the wormhole when a connection is made, allowing it to dial out a few times before it loses power and can't.
                Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

maybe the seeder ships dont bang out a million gates per galaxy.....they might only have found a few planets capable of life so they put gates on them.

maybe based on how much power Destiny has is relative to the range

Comment

Well, Destiny does have a power shortage, and as shown in SGA (Rising) the Stargate can be a pretty big power burden.
                    For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. -Jeremiah 29:11

Comment

I'd guess every Galaxy only gets a couple gates too. The seeder ship only puts gates on 'Earth-like' worlds. Or at least one that can be Terraformed easily. The seed ship is not dropping a gate per planet in every Galaxy.

Comment

Couldn't it simply be that Milky way gates are able to dail that far, as long as they get the energy, but the destiny and destiny-type gates can't? And they could dial destiny because it was a milkyway gate that was able to "find and connect" the wormhole to the destiny, regardless of the range of the destiny's gate? So this would mean the destiny's gate would never be able to connect to the milky way as it simply does not have the range.

In short I think destiny can't dail out far, but still is able to receive from very far. All that needs to happen is for another gate to make a connection to the destiny and get the wormhole running from gate to gate.

Comment

Working...
                        X