Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Star Wars live-action series -- news/tidbits (spoilers ahoy!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time Travel is the most overdone sci-fi story ever.
    It never gets old though.
    "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Came across this while I was in the internet far, far away............
      http://www.ew.com/article/2016/08/04...ar-wars-series

Thoughts?
      Reactions?
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

If they don't try to do it on the cheap, I would welcome a weekly Star Wars show.

The article talks about an old project idea:

The series followed rival families struggling over the control of the seedy underside of the Star Wars universe and was largely set within the subterranean level of the metropolis planet of Coruscant
        I hope that isn't the path they take; I could do without a show glorifying the criminals of that universe.

Other concerns... While ABC has a habit of giving sci-fi a chance, they also have a habit of not letting shows develop an audience before cancelling them. Defying Gravity, V, & Forever come to mind, but there are others.

If they do a good show, and give it time to develop, it could easily run for years. But unless Disney tells ABC execs where the bear poops, I don't hold out much hope for anything long term.

Comment

I'd love to see the old Underworld/1313 story finally happen, but I doubt very much that ABC would be the venue to do that concept justice.

For that matter--ABC really doesn't have a stellar (ha) record when it comes to supporting genre series, so I'm really very wary of this news.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I think it would be great if they were able to pull together a live action series. The old expanded universe has plenty of material to draw on for a series based on Star Wars' underworld from organized crime syndicates like Black Sun to the bounty hunters. Heck, I'd be down with them doing a story focused on Prince Xizor's rise to power.

Comment

Xizor would be interesting if you wanted to do a criminal underground series, and we know that Disney is not afraid to take from the now defunct EU if they like it.

Digi- Yeah, ABC does not have a great track record with Scifi, I would have thought something like this would be wonderful for Netflix given their interest in the MCU and established relationships with Disney that way. However, the big networks still do attract more advertising eyeballs.................
              sigpic

Comment

What is the attraction of or motivation behind wanting to glorify criminals?
                Isn't there enough in the SW Universe(s) to look at?
                If you want something of from novels, what about the "outbound flight" exploration project mentioned in some of Timothy Zahn's novels? As I understand it, that particular exploration project met its end, but what about exploring something like that for a series?

Why the constant focus in media upon criminals and other low-life?

Comment

Sure, you could use outbound flight but then you are doing the great hyperspace wars, which may cost much more to produce.
                  sigpic

Comment

I'm not all that familiar with the non-film Star Wars media. I've read some of Timothy Zahn's books; his Thrawn trilogy, Kevin Anderson's The Jedi Academy Trilogy, Alan Dean Foster's Splinter of the Mind's Eye, Roger MacBride Allen's Correllian Trilogy and one or two about Han Solo. That's it. And the newest of those is 20+ years old.

I had to google some of the titles above.. and I was surprised to see that Zahn has done a book called "Outbound Flight". That's now on order from Amazon. Don't know when I'll find time to read it though.
                    The only thing I knew about OF is what was mentioned in one of the trilogies mentioned earlier. I just thought it would be good source for a series.

Comment

Oh, it would be a good start point, not arguing that dude. Considering the interest in the time frame by many, many SW and EU fans. Even the games (KOTOR 1&2 and the MMOLRPG) are set in the past, though not that far back. It certainly suits the more pew pew, less cerebral form of Scifi that SW is.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X