Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Telford is definitely slimy though, the sort of person who sucks up to his boss to get what he wants. I don't like that sort of person.

I think these characters are just human beings who do the wrong thing sometimes and the right thing other times. Rush was crazy to frame Young for Spencer's death and Young was crazy to leave Rush on the planet. Both crazy and stupid things done by people pushed to their limit.

I can't stand boring characters who are heroic and perfect all the time That's why I love SGU and the characters.
    ~~~I like to see both sides of things~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Artemis-Neith View Post
      Rush is not really more in control of the chair but he wrote a computer program to use the chair without being brain damaged. The computer readings Rush took after Franklin sat in that chair (in Justice) made this possible, otherwise Rush would have faced the same fate as Franklin.
      I always thought it would have been more interesting had he NOT wrote that program, and WAS able to control the data flow by willpower. Sort of like Shepard and the ancient chair platforms.

Originally posted by Artemis-Neith View Post
      But there's also one thing I always missed about his characterization: we never got a background story for him, which give us more informations about why he behaves the way de does, like we get with Rush. Was it because the good soldier of Stargate is supposed to do always the right thing and is by usual SG fans automatically forgiven if he does not?
      It did suck, that of all the main characters, Young was the one we never got that much extra on. What was he like before he joined the SGC/ Where was he stationed?

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
        I always thought it would have been more interesting had he NOT wrote that program, and WAS able to control the data flow by willpower. Sort of like Shepard and the ancient chair platforms.
        But without the program, they created on Franklin's results, after he sat in the chair, they found there was a need to build a buffer, therefore it explained very well what Rush did in "Justice", otherwise he'd damaged Franklin for no reason. You'r thinking about this special gene a few humans like Shepard have. Something could have be done in a later episode, and they found it out accidentally.

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
        It did suck, that of all the main characters, Young was the one we never got that much extra on. What was he like before he joined the SGC/ Where was he stationed?
        Well, the show was not perfect. It's a bit of lazy writing, I think. I missed that part, too, because I had a hard time to understand that irrational behavior Young had sometimes, and then in other cases he was indeed a good commander. I guess there was a reason why he was part of the SG program, as there were reasons for all people on Destiny.
        sigpic

Comment

O'NEILL: Look, I offered you command of the expedition. You were my first choice. But you turned it it down. Your exact words as I recall, were "I don't think it's still in me, sir."

YOUNG/TELFORD: Well, I'm there now, sir, whether I like it or not, whether anyone likes it. This is wrong, and you know it. I've spent most of my career looking up to you because you always did the right thing even if it meant disregarding the chain of command.

I too wished there was more background given to Young, ever since this exchange in 'Earth' I wondered what brought him to that point where he felt he couldn't take a mission command any more.

He is my favourite character despite the lack of much information because he still cares about those under his command despite his self doubt and tries to work through it. That's what makes him interesting, he fights his inner demons whilst trying to do the right thing for those under his command. He makes mistakes as a result and that makes him real, you can understand why he is both respected and loathed. I for one feel for him being put in a position he didn't want to face but has to, I've got to like him for trying to make the best of it!

Comment

Yes, Young cares about those people under his command, as long as it is not Rush. But there's also some kind of an obsession to never lose a person under his command, even if that means he'd lose all of them or kill himself by trying.

What I see here is a severe PTSD problem, we only got very small bits about here and there, but where it really hits me, was the way he constantly acts toward Rush. He ignores, or accuses him of making up trouble for nothing, or wanting to left his people behind for no good reason, and this last point makes him to really hate Rush. But we never get an explanation why Young hated Rush from the start. You could argue that Rush deserved to be doubted and hated after he'd stranded 80 something people on that old roast bucked by disobeying a direct order, but Young acted hostile towards Rush in those scenes before everything happened. And the real war between those two started not before Rush didn't want to get extra rations after they'd brought back the shuttle. Only in that moment Young made it a personal matter between him and Rush.

Yes, Young struggles with his problems, severe problems, but he doesn't really fight all his demons. His aggressive attitude for example has nothing to do with his PTSD, it's a character trait he has. Camile was very right in "Divided" when she pointed out that he's used to get his will, and if somebody disobeys him, he'll fight until that person does obey his orders, as we've seen.
            For me Young could have dealt better with the whole situation, if he'd tried to face his real problem: being horribly afraid of losing people under his command again. Blaming Rush for all the trouble and losses they endured is much easier than to face the fact, that people can die under a command, even if nobody intended it.

Most of us have their favorite characters, and I think it is normal to be more apologetically towards their flaws, than towards those we like less, or even dislike. This may sound as if I devaluate the "other side of fans, but it is not meant that way.
            Last edited by Artemis-Neith; 18 January 2015, 03:44 AM. Reason: posting at 3 am in the morning is maybe not such a good idea.
            sigpic

Comment

I, however, like sitting on the fence and not being a fan of either Young or Rush really. They're both daft IMO. But interesting characters.

Maybe we should make up Young's background. I bet someone here has done that. I'm guessing he had things go wrong in his military career which he blamed himself for. What Artemis wrote fits in with that:

But there's also some kind of an obsession to never lose a person under his command, even if that means he'd lose all of them or kill himself by trying.

Or maybe people kept being promoted over him and he became power crazed! lol.
              Last edited by CarrieAnn; 18 January 2015, 05:57 AM.

Comment

I too would like to know where his "i don't want to lose a single person" obsession came from.

Comment

Its quite a good obsession to have really. It is best IMO not to lose a single person if you can.

Comment

Originally posted by CarrieAnn View Post
                    Its quite a good obsession to have really. It is best IMO not to lose a single person if you can.
                    As long as you cut the sentence at that point, there's no question about that statement. It's exactly what it should be. But what I wrote goes on, and that is Young's problem:

Young cares about those people under his command, as long as it is not Rush. But there's also some kind of an obsession to never lose a person under his command, even if that means he'd lose all of them or kill himself by trying.
                    This makes it an unhealthy obsession. And he has no problem to exclude Rush from his rule.
                    sigpic

Comment

So we can deduce from that, Professor Artemis, that he's had some terrible tragedy in his past where he lost a lot of people. Let's write a paper on the psychology of Young, lol.

Maybe if they'd done a series 3, all would have been revealed about his past!

Comment

Well, to each their own obsession!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CarrieAnn View Post
                          But as any Military commander knows (OR SHOULD KNOW) you will always lose someone. Whether from enemy fire, suicide, or just plane old getting out of the military. No matter how hard you try, how well you plan etc..

Comment

It's taken longer than I'd like, but I've now written a new article on "Human" for my look back at Stargate Universe. If you check it out, let me know what you think!

Reconsidering Stargate Universe: "Human"

Comment

Wow.. Once again your work is amazing in how your writing brings the viewer into the mind and see's things how you do..

Now onto specific comments..
                              The remarkable work from Robert Carlyle only improves with each viewing. He’s willing to show the darkest sides of Rush, but it’s never just for shock value. There’s a method to his madness even when his behavior is callous towards his fellow crew members.

What makes Rush work is the humanity beneath the character. Carlyle says so much with his eyes; there’s compassion even when he’s being cruel.
                              The bolded part is one of the most poingent parts of Carlyle's acting that several people seem to overlook.. Few are the # of actors imo that can say so much just with facial expressions... And Rob is one of the top 5 for me..

The choice to have Jackson appear as part of Rush’s memories also works. He isn’t just stopping by a brief cameo to remind us of SG-1.

Jackson serves as a bridge from Rush’s personal life and his time on the Destiny. That moment comes near the end of his wife’s struggles and begins his journey to work on the Stargate program. Jackson also provides clues that help Rush unlock the basis for the Destiny’s master code. It’s fitting that an archaeologist who studies ancient symbols would help Rush on his way. There’s also a nice callback to the death of Jackson’s wife Sha’re in SG-1’s “Forever and a Day”.
                              There are parts of me that wonder if that's the reason they DID choose Daniel for the 'crossover role' there.. Cause he DID go through something similar with Sha're.. But another part also makes me wonder if it might also have had something to do with the fact he was also the only member to have ascended.. And his being in rush's vision/dream state while attached to the ancient chair was deliberate....

It’s easy to forget the B plot of this story involving Eli, Chloe, Scott, and Greer’s expedition to a new planet.
                              I have chatted to many folk on other sites and in person who don't even 'remember that plotline' was also in the episode.. Almost as if they felt the entire human ep was just on rush.

Another interesting aspect is Young’s tough decision on whether to save Rush. If he doesn’t act and Rush discovers new info, that may save the stranded people on the planet. Despite the new information, there’s little Rush can do in such a limited time.
                              It was a painful decision which could have meant doom either way young chose to go...

It takes some patience, but the adjustments feel natural over the full season. “Human” is an engaging detour that provides Rush’s history while still driving the story forward. The clue he found sets up greater discoveries down the road.
                              And it also proves in a way, Rush was right that sitting in the chair WAS the key to unlocking the Destiny...
                              Too this day i am still shocked that we never see whether rush ever got an award FOR just this episode.. Yea we know he won several Gemini awards for SGU, but when i check his IMDB page, it doesn't list which eps he won it for..

Comment

Hope it doesn't bother you when I share this on Tumblr. I cannot green you, so I hope you'll take this as a different kind of green.

Originally posted by sci-fi fanatic View Post
                                It's taken longer than I'd like, but I've now written a new article on "Human" for my look back at Stargate Universe. If you check it out, let me know what you think!

Reconsidering Stargate Universe: "Human"
                                Someone on FB pointed out that you miswrote Louise Lombard's name and was quite unamused by it (can happen, I don't think it's that horrible )

The loss of his wife Gloria (Julia Lombard) drives his pursuits on the Destiny.
                                Last edited by Artemis-Neith; 18 May 2016, 08:47 AM. Reason: Addition!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X