This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else tired of the Goa'uld?

It's been (give or take) 7 to 8 years of the Goa'uld on SG-1.

Everything about them seems repetitive. Frankly they're boring at this point.

I really hope the end of them is upon us.

I'm tired of what the goa'uld have (for the most part) become. They could be a really intriguing enemy, but a vast majority of their potential has been squandered for cheap theatrics and easy kills.

Comment

That's absolutely true.

Has the voice gotten to you after so many years?

Kinda wishing they'd take that flanger off?

Comment

s9 spoilers

well good job theyre introducin new baddy in s9, keep you guys happy!
        sigpic
        Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

They kill off all the Goa'uld we've met ffs. Apophis, Sokar, Nirrti, Moloc(loved him!) and the list goes on

Comment

I've heard the rumor before, EAG.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
              I'm tired of what the goa'uld have (for the most part) become. They could be a really intriguing enemy, but a vast majority of their potential has been squandered for cheap theatrics and easy kills.
              They tried to fix that by introducing Anubis, which IMO didn't work.
              He looks like a cheap rip-off of the 'Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come' from Dickens' Christmas Carol, not a scary system-lord.
              sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                I agree. I'm not tired of the Goa'uld per se.... I think it's an excellent concept for a collection of bad guys, and it has thrown up a good range of characters over the years, but the potential of the whole concept has been cheapened by allowing the System Lords to become nothing than a set of cartoon characters and their principal muscle, the Jaffa, to become easy cannon fodder. At the beginning of the show, the Goa'uld and their servants had some kind of menace, they had a horrible creepiness because of what they were and because we had personal examples of where they had stolen hosts who were close to the team, which brought home the horror of what they did. I personally find the whole concept of the Goa'uld as enemies much more scary than the replicators or the Wraith. Unfortunately it does seem that the boredom of the writers has reflected itself in the lack of imagination they've shown with exploiting the Goa'uld menace to its full potential - they seem to have resorted to cliche and cartoon, and I think that's a real waste.

Comment

I'm agree that the goaulds were an interesting enemy at the begining, but they could be boring after 7 years, so I think that would be great that appears a new idea of enemy.
                  We must wait what will happen in season 9, although I haven't seen nothing of season 8 yet.
                  LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL BUT SOMETIMES COMPLICATED

Can you tell me how it used to be?
                  Have we changed our hopes for fears and our dreams for plans?

Comment

No offense, EAG, but are you going to every thread and posting this "news" about S9? And "you guys" is inaccurate, since not everyone has said they wan't the goa'uld gone.

I, for one, would rather see them be made more menacing rather than introducing something bigger and badder. Theoretically, it's the last season, so why the hell do they need something new and different? I mean, for pity's sake, look at all the unresolved plot lines already clogging the arteries of the show. We don't NEED any more new stuff, we need the old stuff finished off! Personal opinion, of course. *sihj*

Also, EAG dear, there are spoiler tags, now. They work a LOT better than spoiler space. [ spoiler] spoilery info here [ /spoiler] minus the spaces in the brackets.

Comment

I'm not tired of the Goa'uld. They are the core of the SG-1 story/journey, and their wicked ways make them a lot more interesting than the Ancients when it comes to re-examining Earth mythology.

I agree that the Goa'uld get tiresome when TPTB rest on their laurels and reduce the Goa'uld to a shibboleth for "bad guy". When the Goa'uld get tiresome, it's time to expand their story. There are troves of mythology that Stargate has not yet begun to explore. I particularly think non-western myths have been getting the shaft. Someone in another thread mentioned they disliked Lord Yu: I think Lord Yu rocks because he offered a new way to view the Goa'uld.

One thing that's occured to me is that some of the Taur'i progeny worlds might have invented their own mythology by now. It would be interesting to see a fairly recent Goa'uld with a name and attributes that Daniel can't identify because it's not part of Earth's mythology.

Later,
                      Graculus

Comment

Personally they are cool, but only when they are really nasty. Nerti, Bal, Hator were done great. Some others were just, "why waste the historical/myth name" with this story. Her'ur could have been used a lot more since he has history/myth with Ra and Hator. The same with Osiris, there they worked due to Plowmans acting and chemistry with Shanks.
                        Last edited by BackStageJim; 04 January 2005, 09:22 AM.
                        The very young, do not always do what they are told.

"To me, my board" - Silver Surfer

Comment

The Goa'uld have, unfortunately, become cliche. Watching S1 during the Monday marathon last nite, I got to thinking how much I miss Pophy. With him, it was personal. He'd taken Sha're, which pi**ed off Daniel, Skaara, which pi**sed off Jack, and Teal'c had been his slave for over a hundred years! Now that's a grudge! The litany of Goa'ulds that came after, they killed "Just cuz it was the right thing to do." And those Goa'ulds have just gotten more laughable. Nuby is pretty much as much of a punchline to me as Yu. (No, not you. ) I can only hope any antagonist in S9 is more formidable, but I'm not going to hold my breath.
                          Edit: I did like Osiris, for the Daniel/Sarah angle, and the ONE good thing about Nuby was Her'ak.
                          Last edited by Jillybiehn; 04 January 2005, 08:58 AM. Reason: More to add

Comment

I personally think they need more goa'uld like RA from the movie, if your looking for menacing and a real bad guy he was it. I mean every time the guy spoke it sent a chill through you.

Comment

Yes, unfortunately, I am quite tired of the Goa'uld. The only Goa'uld who continues to hold my interest is Ba'al. He's delightfully threatening in all his villainness - without being over the top in any way - and I see no cheese in sight when it comes to him. IMO, the same can not be said for Anubis, or for that matter, Yu.

In fact, Ba'al is my favorite Goa'uld, and has been so through all the seasons. Well, err, since he first showed up anyway, so not ALL the seasons. But combined. Yes, combined, that's it.

Osiris was another one of my favorites; mainly because of Daniel's history with Sarah. The storyline with Sarah being taken over as a host had real emotional potential, especially where Daniel was concerned and by extension the way the rest of the team would react to him dealing with it.

Spoilers for Chimera:

Spoiler:
                              However, the way they wrote off the Sarah/Osiris storyline in this episode was a huge letdown for me. They pretty much squandered away what had been gradually built up since she was goa'ulded in The Curse, without any explanation as to why. Why no follow-up? You'd think that there would have been some interest in keeping Sarah around; it seemed like her arc, and Daniel's too, was cut short very abruptly. Pity. I suppose there is a slight possibility of Sarah returning in season 9, but that seems like to little, too late. Way too late.
                              Shin ~ def. A device for finding furniture in the dark.

Comment

Working...
                              X