X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joe Mallozzi's memories:

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...e-brotherhood/
    THE BROTHERHOOD (116)

Kolya makes his return, throwing a wrench into our heroes’ efforts to secure a working ZPM. A long dead secret society, underground labyrinths, puzzles and the Pegasus version of the Holy Grail all make for a fun, Atlantis-style Da Vinci Codesque adventure. But, like Childhood’s Ends, it’s all for naught and our crew find themselves back to square one. This episode also marks the first mention of Sheppard’s mensa test. We learn he passed but never joined, shocking McKay by suggesting that there’s more to this low-key rebel than meets the eye. But was he on the level? Years later, in the fifth season mid-season two-parter, Rodney isn’t so sure…
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rudeljaeger View Post
      I really hated that woman who took away their ZPM "...this is how it must be..." Oh for ****s sake just shoot her in the face and take the ZPM. Why does the Atlantis team always have to be so nicy-nice.

Because they're the heroes of the show. If they did otherwise fans would revolt. Even though the other option would have been more realistic.
      Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

This was a good episode.

We found a ZPM, and then got it taken from us. Also, we got 3 Wraith hives heading toward Atlantis, and Shep's is smart.

I was thinking about where SG-1 (as in episode) was doing during the events of this episode and the rest of the Season. I think the events of Threads were taking place during the events of this episode.

Monday, a clipshow.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
          Yes they did.. Shep found it at the start of the show in rising when Wier mentioned they are not authorized to make a rescue attempt unless there was a tactical advantage.. Which is when shep found the cloak function.
          Thank you!
          Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

I like me some puzzles. This was a thoroughly enjoyable episode. And I found both the A story and the B story equally engaging. I especially thought the secondary characters of Zelenka, Beckett and Bates really stepped up to the plate to help carry the B story.

It was interesting that neither storyline really had anything to do with the other but they both ultimately set up the big finale to come--the wraith are on their way and we have no ZPM.

One again the chemistry (or should I say animosity) between McKay and Shep and Koyla was brilliant. I also liked seeing how competent Ford can be in a fight. Too bad this is the beginning of the end for his character.

One thing that always bugged me about this ep however was that the team was ultimately denied the ZPM because the people on the planet learned from McKay that they didn't originally come from Atlantis. But why didn't anyone try to explain that they were the descendents of the Atlanteans? That is how Shep got his Ancient gene. It seems to me that they did in fact have a valid and defendable claim that might have been at least considered by the new brotherhood. It was at least worth a shot. Instead they just stand there slack-jawed as the ZPM is carried away. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Edit: Forgot to mention, this is the first appearance of the Chucknician!
            Last edited by hlndncr; 26 June 2012, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Pretty good ep.

I found the scenes at Atlantis more interesting than the ZPM hunt though.

Funny how the Puddle Jumper was so easily destroyed by the Dart. Yet the Time Jumper in the previous ep took several hits head on.

Very annoying not being able to keep the ZPM. Like hlndncr said, we should have told them we are the ancestors or the Ancients. But even that might not have worked considering how stubborn they were about it.

3 hive ships on the way. Eep.
              sigpic

Comment

Quite a good episode, good they followed up on the gate addresses the old Weir gave and we see a search for a ZPM. I agree it was pain that it was taken away from them after all their efforts with the puzzle solving. Also agree that it was crazy they didn't explain they were descended from the Ancients, that's why they could live in the city in the first place!

I didn't really realise first time round what a good build up there was to the coming of the Wraith with the last five or so episodes of the season.. This setback of the ZPM slipping from their grasp adds nicely to the tension. It's good they are noble and respectful despite their dire situation, how many people would have left the ZPM when it was so easy to take by force?!

Always great to see Koyla, he's turning out to be my favourite bad guy after Ba'al.

Comment

My LiveJournal post

So, Stargate goes Time Team, huh?

Shep should have killed Kolya while he had the chance...
                  "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
                  "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
                  "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
                  "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
                  >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

Originally posted by Jae'a View Post
                    My LiveJournal post

So, Stargate goes Time Team, huh?

Shep should have killed Kolya while he had the chance...

Time Team????????????????????

Comment

Midweek, another ep of SG1.

1. Time Team = UK archeology show.

2. Good point about emphasising that our guys are the descendents of the Ancients at least in theory or second evolution of their kind or whatever. They are not the 'Ancestors' but certainly at this point, best anyone can tell they're as close as it'll ever get.

3. Markham getting toasted was certainly very sudden.

4. "Who's that guy again...oh it's Chuck".

Solid ep.
                      I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

The Brotherhood

You've watched one of those Indiana Jones movies right? Well this episode of Stargate Atlantis is similar but the twist is, there isn't one person who's the focus here, they're all working for a team. Well maybe except for Dr. Rodney McKay.

It's a known fact that adventure is what Stargate thrives on, it provides the series with a sense of exhilaration that precedes most other sci-fi series; okay, maybe not Star Trek but it is something that defines the franchise. We've seen the crew in other adventures before but to see them in their first real adventure hunting for a ZPM to save Atlantis from certain doom is certainly something, expectations are high judging by how the thing opens but much of the beginning of the episode doesn't fulfill those expectations. I don't know about you but the opening scenes felt a bit slow to me; I understand that they're having them explore, build up to the moment where they do find something but there isn't much holding my attention here. What does hold my attention for these scenes is decent, them digging up, looking for clues to the mystery which fuels much of the Indiana Jones feeling; it just provides that sense of adventure which promises to make this episode awesome but for the most part, it just feels lacking for the first few minutes of the episode.

Once the Genii truly begin to get involved, the episode starts to kick into gear; becoming an ever so hectic experience that amps up the action and reveals the true colors of the adventure. Forya is as awesome as his last appearance, this time playing the foreign dictator who wants the stuff all to himself. I've noticed that this character seems to only exist to homage certain roles; first the German terrorist in Die Hard and now a similar bad guy from Indiana Jones? It's like they really want him to be that certain someone to Shephard or even McKay. The other Genii do good too, with some of them getting their chance to shine but they're ultimately Forya's cannon fodder; I'm ashamed that these Genii are treated as fodder; I could see the Gou'ald as throwaways but the Genii? they've even made it clear that they're a bunch of people trying to defend themselves from the wraith and there are tons of them of a society so why treat them as fodder? Regardless Forya and the Genii provide the action that you and the episode crave.

Forya, as awesome as ever.

It's nice to see our Atlantis guys kicking butt and taking names, especially regarding the Genii but the real surprise here is Rodney who steps up to the plate to play the role of Indiana Jones; It's definitely odd to see McKay playing the role that Shepherd usually would but after some getting used to, he proves to serve his role well; he may be weak, yes but he more then makes up for it in his own special way. His intelligence and skills has been something that has been somewhat underutilized, it has popped up from time to time yes but mostly to make the character seem self important, to see both put to good use is certainly a good use of his character and it's definitely something that sets apart his portrayal of Indiana Jones; the interpretations he does of the various stones and the usage of lasers in order to solve a complex but common mystery is classic Indiana Jones, it's something that though doesn't involve violence, more then gets across what Rodney is supposed to be homaging.

He even gets a girlfriend for the duration of the episode; though his interaction with the girlfriend is less then expected (he does that awkward stuff Z-grade romance movies commonly have.), it's certainly something that's good for Rodney (since it is his first girlfriend and all) as he's trying to romance it with a girl and the fun and the tons of unintentionally that Rodney brings just helps to separate the Romance plot from the thousands of others that exist. The mystery that fueled the episode was one you'd see in a movie, which is to say it's brilliant. I loved how they incorporated number structures, certain placement of numbers and even something in common sight, it's just something that made the mystery engaging and involving; within the context of the world it fit well and it even gave us some insight to the aforementioned "Brotherhood" which I thought was nicely done. The Brotherhood may have been generic but combined with the Ancients their something which provided a lot of intrigue which helped set the ground of the episode as far as anybody is concerned.

Rodney, you lucky dog you...

The lighting and mood fit the whole thing with it's natural aspects, bright colors, dark environments and strong hues; everywhere you go it managed to both remind you of Indiana Jones and Stargate, which is good and it managed to provide the perfect mood for anything, revelation, romance, action, exploration; the scene with the lasers has got to be the best scene detailing this lighting in my opinion. This episode is amazing as an Indiana Jones homage but there are certain things that irked me; for instance, why did the writers feel that having Atlantis without ZPM was more important then obvious logic? The whole surprise thing felt like it was forced and there are thousands of things they could of done but I guess the writer's intentions win out in the end. The few scenes taking place in Atlantis feel like they're there mainly to break up the monotony; a fight involving a couple of gateships is cool and all but it just seemed there to fill time, even when they do twist it around; still I have to admire them for building up to the finale by having the first interaction of it's kind, just shows they have something sinister brewing up.

Overall, this was a pretty awesome episode. It's kind of boring in the beginning but it builds up to be this incredible homage to Indiana Jones that will surely entertain everybody. Seeing McKay as Indiana Jones was odd but it's definitely one of the things that make the episode and though there are things that will irk even the most adamant of Stargate fans; it's still enjoyable regardless though those things hinder the episode alot preventing it from reaching it's true potential. If you're in the mood for an Indiana Jones-like adventure then pop this one in, you won't be disappointed.

8.5/10
                        Back from the grave.

Comment

One reason I loved S1 of Atlantis so much was that the entire last fourth of the season had this serialized arc based of the Wraith are coming, we are so doomed mentality. What is kind of started in this episode. It is really the B story that important and not the A story. A fact that is not realized until the very end. The is what is so interesting. Shows always make the A story to be more important it was quite frankly a shock to see such mportance on the B story. I liked the danger the Wraith dart being in Atlantis and the fear and danger it represent. That is not to say the A story was bad. In fact it was the exact opposite. I quite liked the puzzle that was represented in this episode. It was strange and complex and I really did not see anything coming until the very end. I especially liked the 9 x9 grid idea that was used to open ZPM. While I always like the inclusion of Koyla it seems like he was added as merely the need for a villian and to cover up time. I think this story would been fine without the need to add an extra villians. Also one thing that bothered me is we never saw Atlantis search the other 4 planets with ZPMs. It would have been a smart idea especially with the threat of the Wraith
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Well, having just watched it again - I think they should have shot all the villagers on the planet and that jerk Kolya. This show was far to peaceful.

Comment

same hear

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDuh View Post
                                Well, having just watched it again - I think they should have shot all the villagers on the planet and that jerk Kolya. This show was far to peaceful.

My thoughts exactly, they were too goody goody.......A ZPM was in their hands. You don't find them on trees and they pass it up.

Comment

Working...
                                X