Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Original Trilogy: Theatrical vs. Special Edition/Remastered

A long raging debate in the Star Wars kingdom (lol). There are definitely (at least) two camps in the ongoing argument over George Lucas "updating" the original trilogy. Is it perfectly fine and logical, or is it an attack on an established piece of cinematic history?

I'm definitely a purist here, and absolutely prefer the theatrical versions. All were released before I was even born, but there's a charm to them that's lost in remastering. Plus, I loathe the later (DVD) effort to make the original trilogy line up with the newer prequel trilogy. No--that's not how it's done, George Lucas. You write your NEW stuff so that it makes sense in context of your classic stuff, not the other way around!

What do you think?
    "Not every movie is for you. Not every TV show is for you. Not every song is for you. Find the things you like, and like them. Go nuts liking them. A thing ISN’T for you? Cool. Go find something you like. That’s it. That’s as complicated as it should be." -- David Blue

Default Re: Original Trilogy: Theatrical vs. Special Edition/Remastered

I only own the special edition DVDs(the 2004 release) and the theatricals on VHS, and its been a while since I have seen them! So i'm not sure until I get around to rewatching both, and I might not rewatch both until a Blu-Ray release. I think the Special/Remastered editions look great! But some of the CGI changes are just annoying, he really didn't have to change the Sarlacc Pit...

A friend of mine complains bitterly about Han shooting first. *shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    A friend of mine complains bitterly about Han shooting first. *shrug*
    Because he DID shoot first and that was changed! That was part of his character IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by replicator todd View Post
    because he did shoot first and that was changed! That was part of his character imo.
    correctamundo!
    "Not every movie is for you. Not every TV show is for you. Not every song is for you. Find the things you like, and like them. Go nuts liking them. A thing ISN’T for you? Cool. Go find something you like. That’s it. That’s as complicated as it should be." -- David Blue

Running for my life from a hoard of zombies.

Honestly, I enjoy both editions for their own reasons. I don't put one over the other.

MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Replicator Todd View Post
    Because he DID shoot first and that was changed! That was part of his character IMO.
    OK... Then he complains about Han NOT shooting first. Bah. I really don't listen when they start arguing SW minutiae.
    I was glad to see the ghost of Anakin show up as his pre-Vader form in the remastered The Empire Strikes Back. It was fitting.

OK... Then he complains about Han NOT shooting first. Bah. I really don't listen when they start arguing SW minutiae.
    I was glad to see the ghost of Anakin show up as his pre-Vader form in the remastered The Empire Strikes Back. It was fitting.
    It was Return of the Jedi, not Empire. You definitely are more of a Trekkie!

Do you mean Hayden Christensen's appearance at the end of ROTJ?

That made me so angry.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    Do you mean Hayden Christensen's appearance at the end of ROTJ?

That made me so angry.
    *high five* IMO it was placed there for the kiddies to understand that Anakin is Vader, from watching my young cousins of 3-7 years old watch it. It socked them too!

To my benefit, I realized and was coming back to edit the movie... but y'all beat me to it.

I think that having Hayden inserted made far more sense, especially after he was in the last 2 prequel movies and WAS Darth Vader in the last one. I don't like the concept of remastering just to update sfx or, more probably, to rake in more money, but including him as opposed to the guy beneath the mask [who WASN'T James Earl Jones as it SHOULD HAVE BEEN!] made far more thematic sense.

To my benefit, I realized and was coming back to edit the movie... but y'all beat me to it.

I think that having Hayden inserted made far more sense, especially after he was in the last 2 prequel movies and WAS Darth Vader in the last one. I don't like the concept of remastering just to update sfx or, more probably, to rake in more money, but including him as opposed to the guy beneath the mask [who WASN'T James Earl Jones as it SHOULD HAVE BEEN!] made far more thematic sense.
    How?

Anakin had redeemed himself in the end, on the Death Star. It made total and complete sense that his spirit would be the true face that we just saw 5 minutes before.

That face was the scarred, old face brought on by years of serving the Emperor and the Dark Side. The younger face was the man who still uncorrupted, who had a choice and who wanted to be/do good.
    Besides... In the original version, we had no other reference for the face of Vader, so the old guy worked fine. With the prequels, we had a face for Anakin before he became Vader, and that version is far more representative of his return from the Dark Side than the scarred face under the mask.

Nonsense.... The face under the mask was the man who had redeemed himself, the man who fulfilled the prophecy and who had become the Jedi who destroyed the Sith. The old man face was his most true 'good' face in context of both the original and prequel trilogies.

Yeah, I didn't like the original actor being replaced with Hayden either. I can't believe Anakin would look the same age...unless a ghost can choose what it looks like.

*sigh* This is why I stick to Trek. We never argue like this.

If it weren't for the fact Greedo shot first and adding Hayden, I think fans would have enjoyed the remastered versions better.

Greedo happens in IV, Hayden happens in VI but I've never heard one complaint about V. Just look at this thread, only one person has said something other than Han or Hayden.

Quote Originally Posted by Replicator Todd View Post
    I only own the special edition DVDs(the 2004 release) and the theatricals on VHS, and its been a while since I have seen them! So i'm not sure until I get around to rewatching both, and I might not rewatch both until a Blu-Ray release. I think the Special/Remastered editions look great! But some of the CGI changes are just annoying, he really didn't have to change the Sarlacc Pit...
    I think the Sarlacc pit had to be changed. The Pit sounded like like a scary thing, C3P0 made it seem like the worst thing that could ever happen, but all we got was a hole in the ground and a few teeth, and less than scary tentacles. To think that Boba Fett was killed (in the G-Canon) by the original Sarlacc is the worst way he could have died. The Sarlacc wasn't even that dangerous, as most people who died were killed by rolling down that dune, gravity was a bigger threat.

The only way that scene could have made less scary, was if C3P0 told us a Krayt Dragon was going to kill them and Barney showed up.

--

Overall I was happy with 95% of the changes. I will admit that I didn't like Greedo shooting first, and I while I don't hate Hayden being at the end of Episode VI, I don't think he belongs. He just seems too out of place. I would have liked Vader to have sounded more angry or at least more distrusting of Palpatine in Episode V. At the time of release, it sounded fine because Episode III had yet to be released so we didn't know the back story, but when I think about it, I'd have wanted Vader to sound more angry at Palpatine telling him Padme was killed by him, but Luke being alive proves otherwise.

For me it could have been an important piece of character development towards Vader's ultimate redemption. Palpatine said one thing, he's confirming Luke is the son of Skywalker, yet instead of being upset he's told "search your feelings". Like he really needed to be told that.

*sigh* This is why I stick to Trek. We never argue like this.
    Really? Find a group of dedicated trekkies and ask him who's better, Kirk or Picard. If you want to be cruel, midway through the debate, comment on Archer.

Quote Originally Posted by SaberBlade View Post
    Greedo happens in IV, Hayden happens in VI but I've never heard one complaint about V. Just look at this thread, only one person has said something other than Han or Hayden.
    The changes to Episode V were largely pretty good. I especially liked the redone hologram chat between Vader and the Emperor (though the dialogue was a little clunky in spots) as well as Vader taking the shuttle back from Bespin to the Executor.

However, I was positively enraged that they replaced Boba Fett's voice.

I liked they replaced his voice, bit hard to explain why he sounds different from Jango and the other clones. I remember there was talk about replacing Stormtrooper voices too, but then you'd have a hard time explaining why Clone Troopers still in service couldn't hit the broad side of Palpatine's ego.

I don't think it made sense at all. Sure he's a clone (now), but he's had 20odd years to grow up without a parent's voice around, in all kinds of bad situations--who knows how many times he's taken a hit to the throat in bar brawls or various bounty hunting jobs. It doesn't make sense.

If. if they're going to re-dub voices, it ought to have been so that the prequels line up with the originals: have the original Fett voice dub over Jango and the clones.