No announcement yet.

Original Trilogy: Theatrical vs. Special Edition/Remastered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*sigh* This is why I stick to Trek. We never argue like this.
    sigpic
    More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

If it weren't for the fact Greedo shot first and adding Hayden, I think fans would have enjoyed the remastered versions better.

Greedo happens in IV, Hayden happens in VI but I've never heard one complaint about V. Just look at this thread, only one person has said something other than Han or Hayden.

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
      I only own the special edition DVDs(the 2004 release) and the theatricals on VHS, and its been a while since I have seen them! So i'm not sure until I get around to rewatching both, and I might not rewatch both until a Blu-Ray release. I think the Special/Remastered editions look great! But some of the CGI changes are just annoying, he really didn't have to change the Sarlacc Pit...
      I think the Sarlacc pit had to be changed. The Pit sounded like like a scary thing, C3P0 made it seem like the worst thing that could ever happen, but all we got was a hole in the ground and a few teeth, and less than scary tentacles. To think that Boba Fett was killed (in the G-Canon) by the original Sarlacc is the worst way he could have died. The Sarlacc wasn't even that dangerous, as most people who died were killed by rolling down that dune, gravity was a bigger threat.

The only way that scene could have made less scary, was if C3P0 told us a Krayt Dragon was going to kill them and Barney showed up.

--

Overall I was happy with 95% of the changes. I will admit that I didn't like Greedo shooting first, and I while I don't hate Hayden being at the end of Episode VI, I don't think he belongs. He just seems too out of place. I would have liked Vader to have sounded more angry or at least more distrusting of Palpatine in Episode V. At the time of release, it sounded fine because Episode III had yet to be released so we didn't know the back story, but when I think about it, I'd have wanted Vader to sound more angry at Palpatine telling him Padme was killed by him, but Luke being alive proves otherwise.

For me it could have been an important piece of character development towards Vader's ultimate redemption. Palpatine said one thing, he's confirming Luke is the son of Skywalker, yet instead of being upset he's told "search your feelings". Like he really needed to be told that.

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
      *sigh* This is why I stick to Trek. We never argue like this.
      Really? Find a group of dedicated trekkies and ask him who's better, Kirk or Picard. If you want to be cruel, midway through the debate, comment on Archer.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
        Greedo happens in IV, Hayden happens in VI but I've never heard one complaint about V. Just look at this thread, only one person has said something other than Han or Hayden.
        The changes to Episode V were largely pretty good. I especially liked the redone hologram chat between Vader and the Emperor (though the dialogue was a little clunky in spots) as well as Vader taking the shuttle back from Bespin to the Executor.

However, I was positively enraged that they replaced Boba Fett's voice.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I liked they replaced his voice, bit hard to explain why he sounds different from Jango and the other clones. I remember there was talk about replacing Stormtrooper voices too, but then you'd have a hard time explaining why Clone Troopers still in service couldn't hit the broad side of Palpatine's ego.

sigpic

Comment

I don't think it made sense at all. Sure he's a clone (now), but he's had 20odd years to grow up without a parent's voice around, in all kinds of bad situations--who knows how many times he's taken a hit to the throat in bar brawls or various bounty hunting jobs. It doesn't make sense.

If. if they're going to re-dub voices, it ought to have been so that the prequels line up with the originals: have the original Fett voice dub over Jango and the clones.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
              I don't think it made sense at all. Sure he's a clone (now), but he's had 20odd years to grow up without a parent's voice around, in all kinds of bad situations--who knows how many times he's taken a hit to the throat in bar brawls or various bounty hunting jobs. It doesn't make sense.

If. if they're going to re-dub voices, it ought to have been so that the prequels line up with the originals: have the original Fett voice dub over Jango and the clones.
              I wouldn't have wanted Jango dubbed. If someone is wearing a helmet like the Clone Troopers or Boba then it's fine, you don't notice it but I can not stand watching someone speak and instantly knowing it's not their voice, with the exception of foreign movies. We get adverts with badly obvious redubs all the time and I hate it. So anything less than Temuera's real voice and I'd be complaining.

I do agree with your comment about the voice being different, when I think about it, a few years here, a few years there, a few years elsewhere, his voice shouldn't have been so precise. Boba's voice still had to be changed, but Temuera could have tried changing his voice for it, like trying to suppress his New Zealand accent or changing the tone of his voice, but still, using him was the right choice in my opinion.

sigpic

Comment

Agree to disagree I suppose.

I just feel that Boba Fett is such an iconic Star Wars character, so important in Star Wars lore, that to dub over his lines borders on cultural blasphemy.

Comment

He is an important character, but I don't believe that the voice changes anything. Boba is such a badass, he only spoke 6 words, "he's no use to me dead". I'm actually starting to believe that having Boba say nothing at would probably have been a better idea.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                    He is an important character, but I don't believe that the voice changes anything. Boba is such a badass, he only spoke 6 words, "he's no use to me dead"
                    "What if he doesn't survive, he's worth a lot to me."
                    "He's no good to me dead."
                    "Put Captain Solo in the cargo hold."

And in those few lines of dialogue, he defined himself as pretty much the only non-Rebel with the brass to give Vader lip. Temeura Morrison's re-dubs sound....lame.

Comment

Okay, make that more than 6. I tried thinking of parts of the movie where he spoke, and I could picture the part when Solo was being put onto the ship but I could only hear that bit from Family Guy at that point taking the piss.

I'm not surprised he'd have the brass to get lippy with Vader about his bounty. In Vader's state, Boba could have taken him.

sigpic

Comment

Honestly, I liked everything in the Remastered version of Empire Strikes Back, it is far superior to the theatrical version IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                          Honestly, I liked everything in the Remastered version of Empire Strikes Back, it is far superior to the theatrical version IMO.
                          See, proves my earlier point. People would like the remastered versions much more if it hadn't been two painfully obvious changes that people didn't like, Han and Hayden. Restore Han, remove Hayden and then dazzle up the special effects, add more CG stuff to remove the models just to make it look more interesting.

The most important thing is, that regardless of what they do they add, so long they include the original release then I'll be happy.

sigpic

Comment

I do not mind all the scenery in the background being changed on Cloud City. Makes the city totally more believable. Nor do I mind the enhancements on the Battle of Hoth with the snowspeeders.

But if you are referring to this....
                            Originally posted by nx01a View Post
                            A friend of mine complains bitterly about Han shooting first. *shrug*

correctamundo!
                            I wholeheartedly agree with you. It is totally out of character for Han to do that!!! He shot first simple and plain. It is not Han's fault that Greedo was an idiot and "greedy" with his time that he wanted to play with his food before eating (so to speak). Greedo got what he deserved.

Anakin had redeemed himself in the end, on the Death Star. It made total and complete sense that his spirit would be the true face that we just saw 5 minutes before.
                            Exactly. They did not change the Obi-Wan to the younger version, nor Yoda so why Anakin?
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X