Do they have FTL capabilities?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do they have FTL capabilities?

At this point in the show? time period-wise anyways?

I was just wondering. My general curiosity.

Anyone really familiar with the shows background that would know?

According to Serge Graystone's twitter they do but mainly for military. Dunno how canon the twitter is, though.

Comment

Well im guessing that like Osiristi said it would just be for military purposes or insanely expensive; I recall in Rebirth (the episode after the Pilot) that Daniel Graystone says he will "miss the jump"...also if this is only years before the Galactica was built i'm guessing there must have been some FTL-tech pre-existent beforehand...

Comment

They most certainly should have it. Without FTL how is trade conducted among the 12 colonies? Also if this is suppose to be 50 years before BSG then wouldn't the Galactica be nearly finished already?

Comment

they did have FTL it was only 5 or 6 years before the first cilon war im not as up to speed as you but did they find the colaneys uesing FTL or sublight

Comment

I don't think we really have enough information at the moment to suppose one way or another.

We can fairly safely assume, from the sub-light journey of the 13th tribe to Earth, that the other 12 tribes did not have FTL on their journey from Kobol to the new worlds. We can also guess, from various lines in the BSG miniseries, that FTL was not in common use by the the time of the Fall.

Really, I think that's about it tbh. I don't know that there's enough information there to draw conclusions about 60 years prior to the Fall.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I think they probably do, but since the show takes place on Caprica it doesn't really matter to me. But I don't see how they could not have FTL yet.

Comment

I'm sure they do, but like Osiristi said, it's for the military. Civilian ships probably have a fast sublight that will get them around the solar system in a reasonable amount of time.

Comment

It baffles me that they wouldn't be using that kind of technology to explore space at the height if their civilization. They don't even know where their homeworld is.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Archaeis View Post
                    It baffles me that they wouldn't be using that kind of technology to explore space at the height if their civilization. They don't even know where their homeworld is.
                    At this point, isn't Kobol a myth? Lost and forgotten through time... so everyone now think's that where they are now, is where they originated from?

Comment

Originally posted by Archaeis View Post
                      How many expeditions to Eden have you heard of recently?
                      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I would actually like to see Galatica being built during this time period. maybe just a pass by appearance or reference... but actually getting a look at her in her prime would be better. maybe then we can see the engine room in more detail.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                          How many expeditions to Eden have you heard of recently?
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Wake View Post
                            At this point, isn't Kobol a myth? Lost and forgotten through time... so everyone now think's that where they are now, is where they originated from?
                            No Earth is a myth as well as the 13th tribe (and the fact they were artificial life forms). Those who settled and colonized the 12 worlds worlds are known as the Twelve Tribes of Kobol. While Kobol is a real place, it's location and true history is revealed only in scripture.

Originally posted by Alan Wake
                            I would actually like to see Galatica being built during this time period. maybe just a pass by appearance or reference... but actually getting a look at her in her prime would be better. maybe then we can see the engine room in more detail.
                            According to the Battlestar Wiki the Galactica battlecruiser is built in the early days of the First Cylon War. Unless Caprica goes into the events of the FCW and the unification of the colonies, I doubt we'll see the Galactica. Perhaps in another spin off.
                            How to Survive an Alien Attack

Comment

I can't see FTL technology coming as a result of research during the cylon war. It doesn't provide much tactical or manueverable advantage in a single-system war.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X