Deep Space Nine: A Rewatch thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deep Space Nine: A Rewatch thread

Last Christmas I found quite a deal for all 7 seasons of Star Trekeep Space Nine on DVD. Due to some personal circumstances and unforseen problems its took me this long to start these DVDS. So I thought I would copy all those GW fans who have done rewatch threads before. Especially because I haven't seen DS9 since the good ole' days that the show aired on Spike TV.

For those of you who read my long reviews on the Stargate forums this will be a lot more succinent. As I will probably be watching and posting new episodes almost daily. Of course with school and the care free of summer thier will be exceptions but I will be watching episodes as soon as possible. To that end I don't have the creative energy to write huge posts about little details. These will be my thoughts insights in the plots and major characters of the episode.

So without further ado...

Emissary
    I said it so many times. S1 was always the weak point of DS9. But Emissary is those rare gems in early years. It shows what the show is going to be about and ultimately how it is vastly different then the Star Trek that came before it. These people aren't squeaky clean with near perfect records. Look at Sisko. He comes in this show with huge emotional baggage and a lot of hostility towards the people around. And that what drives this episode. Sure its the pilot and we get to set up who is what and their unique characterization. But I think what really drives this episode. The quest of watching Sisko still struggling with the lose of someone toppled on the mystery of who the Prophets. Its those two really big unknowns that makes this episode enjoyable. A big puzzle toppled of watching the lead of getting his head out of the sand and move on. And the Prophets for teach them in such a unique way. I not the most informed of scifi fan but I know not many aliens exist and communicate like the Prophets of DS9. That makes them unique.

I also want to mention Gul Dukat for a quick second. Even in the pilot you don't know where he stands. At first when approaching Sisko he seems like an okay and nice guy. But his coldness to Kira before entering somewhat contradicts that. He was always a very 3D villian.
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

A couple of weeks ago, during my GateWorld hiatus, I actually rewatched Emissary for the first time in a very long time. The experience was immensely satisfying for me because I had a sudden OMG moment in the two-parter were I realized that in many ways, I had mirrored Sisko's distrust, hostility, and pain for over 2 years and only recently came out of it. So his first of many experiences with the Orbs and the Prophets was a great joy to see again.

Jel is very correct that the Prophets are unique in the way they communicate to people. The images, the choice of words, and the tone of those words creates incredible personal resonance with the people who communicate with them.

It was great to get reacquainted with the characters again as they were before they joined DS9. Bashir as the wide-eyed eager doctor was a hoot, as was Kira putting him in his place. Seeing Dukat's origins, as well as how tattered DS9 was when the station first came into custody with the Federation was also interesting to watch, knowing what directions both would take as the show progressed through later seasons. That and it was just wonderful to re-experience where the journey began once more time. It's hard to believe that Emissary aired 19 years ago.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
      A couple of weeks ago, during my GateWorld hiatus, I actually rewatched Emissary for the first time in a very long time. The experience was immensely satisfying for me because I had a sudden OMG moment in the two-parter were I realized that in many ways, I had mirrored Sisko's distrust, hostility, and pain for over 2 years and only recently came out of it. So his first of many experiences with the Orbs and the Prophets was a great joy to see again.
      You shouldn't be embarrassed. We all deal with death in different ways. Some of just faster then others
      It was great to get reacquainted with the characters again as they were before they joined DS9. Bashir as the wide-eyed eager doctor was a hoot, as was Kira putting him in his place. Seeing Dukat's origins, as well as how tattered DS9 was when the station first came into custody with the Federation was also interesting to watch, knowing what direction s both would take as the show progressed through later seasons. That and it was just wonderful to re-experience where the journey began once more time. It's hard to believe that Emissary aired 19 years ago.
      I forgot how funny in the early seasons how much Bashir followed Dax like a sick puppy. The station definatly started off as a piece of junk at first. The Cardassians defintaly didn't leave much left. I forgot to mention the goodbye scene between Picard and O'Brien. Um Emissary premiered in 1993. Thats definatly not 19 years ago,
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        You shouldn't be embarrassed. We all deal with death in different ways. Some of just faster then others
        I wasn't dealing with a death situation actually. And no I'm not embarrassed about it.

I forgot how funny in the early seasons how much Bashir followed Dax like a sick puppy. The station definatly started off as a piece of junk at first. The Cardassians defintaly didn't leave much left. I forgot to mention the goodbye scene between Picard and O'Brien. Um Emissary premiered in 1993. Thats definatly not 19 years ago,
        For whatever reason, I thought that Emissary aired in 1991 just now not 1993. Oops.

There was a brilliant musical moment in Emissary when O'Brien left the Enterprise. The Star Trek theme played briefly just after O'Brien was transported off. Just as the Star Trek theme started playing, the DS9 played almost immediately on top of it in a very nice counterpoint.

Bashir hounding Dax actually formed an interesting character arcs for Bashir's feelings about her in "Tears of the Prophets" and "Shadows and Symbols." And of course, the relationship finally comes to fruition with Ezri.
        sigpic

Comment

Can we take it one step at a time? I haven't gotten to the Dominion yet let alone the Dominion War
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Nog comes along way from this pilot.

Watching this episode made me notice him more then others.

From stealing items, a life of crime... to... well, I won't spoil much but he comes a long ways.

Comment

Damnit, now I wanna get season 1 of DS9 even though I know it's not that great apart from Emmisary.
              Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Wake View Post
                Nog comes along way from this pilot.

Watching this episode made me notice him more then others.

From stealing items, a life of crime... to... well, I won't spoil much but he comes a long ways.
                Um I've seen all of DS9 before. I remember most the plot arcs including Nog its just nice to see things again
                Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                Damnit, now I wanna get season 1 of DS9 even though I know it's not that great apart from Emmisary.
                Thier are a few other good episodes. Duet is nothing short of magnificent. As S1 goes their is a love-hate relationship. The stories aren't that good but they were needed for the good stories that comes later. S1 was needed to establish who these characters are.
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Excellent!
                  "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                    Um I've seen all of DS9 before. I remember most the plot arcs including Nog its just nice to see things again

Thier are a few other good episodes. Duet is nothing short of magnificent. As S1 goes their is a love-hate relationship. The stories aren't that good but they were needed for the good stories that comes later. S1 was needed to establish who these characters are.
                    remind me which one duet is again....
                    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Behold the awesomeness of Wikipedia.
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

"Kill me! Torture me! It doesn't matter! You've already lost, Major! You could never undo what I've accomplished. The dead will still be dead!"

Great quote

Comment

Past Prolouge
                          Its episodes like this that I think that why boring where nescarry for S1. Its about establishing who these characters these are. In this case its mostly Kira and maybe Garek to a lesser extent. It shows how far Kira is willing to go and how passionate she is for the well-being of her people. And while over time she will stop butting heads Sisko that passion for Bajor is always there for Kira. I look how far Kira is willing to go for those terrorists because she wants to believe in them and tells me how much she cares. And the hostility between her and Sisko is fun because its nice confrontation between the characters so we can see how they will grow.

I'm a big Garek fan and this episiode with his introduction shows why. He is so mysterious in that you never know where he stands. In this episode no one knows if Garak is friend or foe. And while I rather dislike Bashir in the early years that grayness about Garak is fun. Although I do have to say the Duras sisters on DS9 was a little out of place. They were a TNG villian. Leave them on TNG.

As I write this I forgot I neglected the plot of the terrorist trying to blow up the wormhole. Its a fun idea to show how some Bajorans who see the Federation as the Cardassians and its important to showcase how many people feel about the wormhole. But I think the main gem of this episode isn't the story of building a powerful bomb but establisihing foundation for the characters
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

The one that is Awesome.

Comment

A Man Alone
                              I know what the writers are trying to do in this episode. They were trying to establish what kind of character Odo is and how determined he is to pursuit of justice and finding the truth of the mannar. But it just falls flat in my opinion. He just comes across as a bully and the mob forming makes little sense. I have a hard belieiving that one supicious murder and the Bajorans munity against Odo. They were find with him before.

As for the plot of the Bajoran raising a clone its a mild innovative way to show a murder mystery but the fact he was a clone was kind of obvious halfway through when Bashir was growing him and when a DNA structure was forming.

The Keiko subplot is an interesting one and I think an interesting issue that needs to be dressed. The station is basically one giant marketplace for commerce. So it reasons what does that mean for the children who work here. I kind of like it as seems Keiko had little purpose in TNG. Seems a little more crucial on DS9

Babel
                              The concept of a virus affecting and damanging the whole station is a little TNGish but I still like it. I think its important for these characters. We have seen in the past episodes that certain characters don't get along as well as they should and aren't as cooperative as the other shows. Their is conflict between these characters (something missed in TNG) but when comes down to the serious matters all of these people (minus Quark) work together well to solve a serious problem like the virus presented in Babel.

And it was sure a unique virus for science fiction. As a nuclear medicine/Biology I think my prior knowledge made the episode more interesting for me then the average viewer. I could follow along with Bashir and Dax with the jargon and understand the complexity (and ultimately the writer's creativity. By DS9 standards its average. By S1 standards its one of the best
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                              X