No announcement yet.

Determining the size of Destiny...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@ ed whats the SGA link and erm i nto put the aura at 3km its 3000m (but to be honest mesurements where never my strong subject) but this site has the mesurements and is not wiki

http://www.merzo.net/index.html

now this one is a comparision charts and if u look on one there is a comparison of the stargate ships showing
    that the aura is 3000meters when the page loads scroll down till u get to the babylon 5 earth explorer class then move to the right abouve the doomsday machine ship is al the stargate ones inlcudeing destiny if anyone has and links to sites with better sizing pls post here thanks guys

http://www.st-minutiae.com/misc/comp...ison_large.png

Comment

Sir, 3KM = 3000M.

Comment

To me it's twenty five miles long. At least until the writers give us an actual length.

After all, aside from Picard's Enterprise D, it's gone the furthest away from earth. So if it's gone that far it should be the biggest ship ever. Aside from perhaps Atlantis.

Comment

Originally posted by Galileo_Galilee View Post
          To me it's twenty five miles long. At least until the writers give us an actual length.

After all, aside from Picard's Enterprise D, it's gone the furthest away from earth. So if it's gone that far it should be the biggest ship ever. Aside from perhaps Atlantis.
          Lol. It's not about distance. It's about the length of time it has been travelling. Likely even the Prometheus could have travelled a similar distance on autopilot in a similar timeframe(if it was able to recharge in a star...).
          loving the thread though guys. Some good speculation going on here. And quite a good yardstick for the size of destiny.
          I liked the optimism of the poster that predicted a seven season story arc.
          e-mail(And msn messenger): [email protected]

Gravity can bind my feet, but it can never bind my imagination...

Comment

PurpleNurple, you could also take a look at the official Destiny model:
            http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...d-the-mailbag/
            It's all about startegy. Out-maneuvering the opposition, bending him to your will.
            -Dexter-

Comment

i have forgot where i had just found this, but the Destiny is ~1547 meters in length. Just under a mile.
              An infinite universe contains an equally infinite amount of knowledge.

Comment

So no one has noticed the shuttles dock on the upper side of the hull and are clearly visible in *all* exterior shots? Based on the length of the shuttle, which seems to be about 1.5 times the size of a jumper, I'd say that the Stargate Wiki estimate of 600m to be close to accurate. However, every bit of dialogue and all of the interior shots don't mesh with that number. Even season 1 Eli carrying Chloe the whole length of the ship wouldn't get as winded as he is seen to be.

If I had to drop a number, I'd say Destiny is closer to 3000m long. Also, that means exterior shots are desperately out of scale.

Comment

space shots are so hard to get right on camera,,,,I based my calculations on the scene from incursion where greer and scott are repairing the damaged part on the hull of the ship. If the part was approximately 2m then, well the math gets a little tricky, so I could be way off. I will try to recalculate late tonight. Try and come up with a more accurate number, as well as pay attention to some of the dialogue. It might be in there.
                  An infinite universe contains an equally infinite amount of knowledge.

Comment

Looking back at the quote earlier about 5 Nimitz class carriers in size...

A Nimitz is roughly 333m in length, so Destiny could be up to 1,665m in length.

Oh and gotta say, I love his character on the show, but Eli is WAY out of shape, so I could easily see him looking like he did with Chloe after just a few hundred feet. (Trust me, I'm speaking from experience here... /hinting at my own size... lol)

Comment

SO basically its like Star Destroyer size? Or close to 3 times as long as the Enterprise-D?

That's huge!

Comment

Working...
                      X