Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Determining the size of Destiny...

Hi Everyone!

I'm not sure if this topic has been covered in another thread, but if it was, I was not able to find it. So if it has already been discussed, I apologize.

I have, on other boards and around the internet, heard people make all kinds of wild claims about Destiny's size...everything from "its one the largest ships we've ever seen on any Stargate series" to "it's got to be bigger than a Hive Ship". While it is difficult, due to the limited number of exterior shots and the often weird camera angles, to say with 100% certainty exactly how big the Destiny really is, I am, however, convinced that it is nowhere close to being one of the biggest ships we've ever seen in Stargate, nor do I believe that it is even a particularly large ship whatsoever. After re-watching all of the episodes of SGU thus far, and considering all visible surface details, such as window placements, and comparing things like Destiny's shuttles (which are at most 20m, but more likely closer to 15m long) to other surface structures and in turn using those to calculate the ship's overall length, I've now feel quite comfortable saying that I believe the Destiny to be no more than 1000m long, and possibly as small as 500m or 600m.

So I was just wondering if anyone else here has made any serious attempts (as apposed to just speculation or impression) to scale Destiny, and if so, what figures you have come up with?

i was wondering when a thread like this would pop up..

first of all no it is not bigger as big or in the same range as a hive ship its much much smaller and its def not the biggest ship we have seen so far.

secondly i agree with your scale estimate that it is not longer then 1000m and its not shorter then say 800m
    but id also like to add that i do not think the ship itself was ever meant to be viewed to scale in that way as the artis that made her Jose A. Perez has put some weirdly scaled detail on it and very few things add up and i think i know what i am talking about as i have made my own destiny inspired by one of jose's concepts i also scaled it to roughly 1000m.

as to me that made perfect sence.

so i agree with your scaling estimates.

Comment

I didn't make these calculations. So I'm reaping others people work off here .

The scaling are done basing Carlyle's(Rush) body and the shuttle scene.

Here we see a picture of Carlyle's body in another movie:

He is 1.73m provided by imdb.

Spoiler:

The distance between light is ~11m. Which would mean the Destiny is about 548 meters wide.

And from the picture below

Spoiler:

Would make the the Destiny's length at about 748 meters.

P.S. I think the way most of the shots are angled and the obvious phallic image it portrays makes for the audience having the feeling that its 'big'.

Comment

Thanks Alx for the reply! I have to say, of all the people that could have replied, I was most pleased to see you had. I’ve been following the progress of your Destiny concept model over on scifi-meshes.com, and have been thoroughly impressed with your work! She really turned out beautifully! In fact, in addition to screen shots from the show, it was your model, along with a couple others also being worked on over at SFM, that I turned to in order to try and get a better sense for Destiny’s overall proportionality when trying to compute its length. So I am really, really pleased that I did in fact come to the same basic conclusion as you.

I also fully agree with you about Mr. Perez’s oddly scaled details that don’t quite fit together. Then again, the FX people for Stargate have been, from the beginning, quite notorious for arbitrarily rescaling ships whenever they felt like it. When they’ve wanted a given ship to look more menacing or just to give it that “wow” factor they would scale it up; but then when that same ship would encounter something even more powerful or whatever, they would scale it down. They have always been far more concerned with the look and feel of a ship on screen than in maintaining any sense of scale continuity. It may very well be the same with Destiny—that SGU’s directors/producers (or whoever) had Mr. Perez deliberately add the conflictingly scaled parts to create an ambiguity so that they could “believably” rescale the ship (relative to other objects) at their whim throughout the series without having it look obviously over or under scaled. I’m not saying that this is definitely the case, but it does make one wonder.

Lastly, I also wanted to thank you, Mirdin1992, for that scaling information you found and shared with us! It’s nice to see that it too falls right in line with Alx and my rough estimates.

Comment

a hive is 11km. just the shuttles, and the observation deck show that this is an impossible length for the Destiny.

i agree with an 800-1200 meter scale (there's always some room for scaling)

Comment

I believe the Destiny ship is larger than Ha'tak(L=700m,W=650m,H=315) but smaller than Anubis' mother ship(L=2000m,W=1,200m and Height is probaly about 600-700m) assuming the size measurements of Destiny is less than about 1000 meters.

Note: I got the size measurements from Stargate Wiki and what i guess.
            Last edited by Captain James; 30 March 2010, 04:42 PM.
            Kevin Morgan

Comment

Originally posted by Captain James View Post
              I believe the Destiny ship is larger than Ha'tak(L=700m,W=650m,H=315) but smaller than Anubis' mother ship(L=2000m,W=1,200m and Height is probaly about 600-700m) assuming the size measurements of Destiny is less than about 1000 meters.

Your measurements are not reliable, because your resource isn't reliable.
              If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
              Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
              If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
              Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
                Your measurements are not reliable, because your resource isn't reliable.
                indeed!

Comment

Well it took the SG team less than a day to explore a Ha'tak while for the time being we've not yet seen the whole of Destiny rooms. Slightly larger than a Ha'tak ? Sorry but I can't buy it.
                  La vie est une tragédie - Tout le monde meurt à la fin.
                  L'Histoire est une comédie - Les gentils gagnent toujours à la fin.

Comment

Originally posted by lord groovy View Post
                    Well it took the SG team less than a day to explore a Ha'tak while for the time being we've not yet seen the whole of Destiny rooms. Slightly larger than a Ha'tak ? Sorry but I can't buy it.
                    however one could argue destiny is full of holes and large sections are unavaliable at this time...

but i agree it couldnt be larger then a ha'tak longer perhaps but not larger.

Comment

Originally posted by lord groovy View Post
                      Even at 800 to 1000 meters in length, Destiny would be quite a bit longer than a Ha'tak, and yet, owing to the difference in shape, a Ha'tak would still most likely have a greater interior volume than Destiny. That being said, I don’t think size alone is the sole reason why it’s taking Destiny’s reluctant crew so long to fully explore the ship. Remember that Destiny is really old and heavily damaged; as a result many of its compartments are uninhabitable or otherwise inaccessible. Furthermore, Rush “requested” on several occasions that people stop wandering around the ship, randomly activating systems, as doing so was only going to further drain their already limited power reserves. Besides it’s not like the crew hasn’t had other things to worry about than just exploring the ship…like survival!

So there are plenty of possible reasons why it might take a long time to explore all of Destiny that don’t require it to be exceptionally huge; and yet all these reasons notwithstanding, I will also be the first to admit that I have been more than a little frustrated with the slow pace of this new series. I would much prefer the traditional action based format over this new “character-driven” approach. The writers waste entirely too much screen time making the characters gripe, complain and argue, or doing endless flashbacks about the characters’ pasts, instead of focusing on the story at hand and making it interesting and exciting. I’d like to think that the SG-1 or Atlantis teams would not only have found a way to explore the whole ship by now, but would have also already gotten most of the ship’s basic systems up and running.
                      Last edited by RavenCWG; 31 March 2010, 03:32 PM. Reason: fixed typos

Comment

Not sure why but I just from looking at Destiny it appears around the same length as an Ori mothership, I'm not basing this on anything other than visuals though.

Comment

in light we see chloe's size in comparison to the observation deck...im sure you can determine the size of the ship in that cgi model BUT the models do change episode to episode...

unless they state it on the show, i refuse to believe these lies!

Comment

i didn't realize that stargate wiki wasn't a reliable source and also when i was talking about the size of destiny i didn't think to much about the volume.
                            Kevin Morgan

Comment

i didn't realize that stargate wiki wasn't a reliable source and also when i was talking about the size of destiny i didn't think to much about the volume.
                              Meh. It's as reliable as it gets, any wrong info can be corrected by any knowledgeable fan reading it. It's not like other sites are the absolute truth, even less so because they're edited by only one person/smaller team who can be confused. To talk about unreliable, even GW insists on putting the Destiny after Atlantis even though the writers repeatedly said that Destiny is in fact older.
                              Carter: "The singularity is about to explode!"

Comment

Working...
                              X