Point Of No Return (518)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Point Of No Return (518)

SUPERNATURAL’S 100TH EPISODE STUNS WITH AN OLD FRIEND AND A SACRIFICE – Dean (Jensen Ackles) begins to think the only way to stop Lucifer is to say yes to Michael, but the angels decide they don’t need him anymore. Dean, Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Castiel (Misha Collins) are horrified at the angels’ new game plan and take on Zachariah (guest star Kurt Fuller) to prevent an all out war on Earth. Meanwhile, a familiar face returns. Phil Sgrricia directed the episode written by Jeremy Carver.

Post Viewing Discussion Only
    Last edited by Madwelshboy; 10 April 2010, 12:41 AM.

Really good one tonight. I can't believe we only have 4 episodes left in the season. We finally got to see Zachariah get what he deserved, but I do fear for Adam and Castiel. Do you guys think Michael temporarily took him as a vessel?
    sigpic
    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

how anticlimactic

after last week I expected more
      Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
      Really good one tonight. I can't believe we only have 4 episodes left in the season. We finally got to see Zachariah get what he deserved, but I do fear for Adam and Castiel. Do you guys think Michael temporarily took him as a vessel?
      I doubt it probably just smoked him back to heaven, Zach said Michael had "seen it" so this whole game was probably just strategy, another mile marker on the road to break Dean

Comment

I really enjoyed this episode. It brought the story forwards. Sooner or later they'd have to address why it would be so wrong for Dean to say yes to Michael, so that bit is out of the way and they can move on to plan B.

I was glad that in the end Adam was just 'bait', if he had been a true alternative it would have been inconsistent with what the Cupid said in MBV that it was imperative for heaven that John and Mary get together and procreate.

I was also glad to see Dean somewhat bouncing back from his despondency. That wink he gave Sam before he ganked Zach (and both my kids and I were cheering when he pulled that stake!) was vintage Dean, and I've missed him.

It's good to see the brothers starting to trust each other again, too. I only hope it will last this time. There realtionship this season has been a real yoyo, and I just like them best as a team.

The opening scene was a real scream as well. From the guy playing 'The Man Upstairs' to the double entendre of the conversation about losing their jobs and Zach talking to his 'boss', it was classic Spn.

I was kinda lukewarm about Adam. No big surprises there. Only this time he seemed to have more rapport with Dean, while last time it was Sam who was doing the bonding.

I like bad@ass Cas. He's become a real street fighter, hasn't he? And the way he lost his cool and vented his frustrations on Dean was epic. I'm pretty sure we'll see him again, though. No idea what it does to you to make yourself the canvas for the angel-zapping sigil. Hopefully it just destroyed the vessel, something that Cas has recovered from before.

As for Adam, I guess he could be a temporary vessel like Nick. Maybe that's what the season finale is gonna boil down to, Michael and Lucifer fighting in their surrogate 'Muppets' (that was a great line for Sam!) and Sam and Dean doing damage control in the background.

sigpic
        Check out my SGA and Fringe fanfics on fanfiction.net

Comment

i have more general spn question - why aren't angels pissed at castiel, it was clearly visible in this episode, they only blamed the brothers, just seams weird; cas could be god's version of ruby... anyway something's dirty.

...although it advanced the story it sucks that zach died. he was funny and cool dude and was only portrayed 'over-annoying' when interacting with brothers...

@ starg8fans. that's an awesome theory and one that will prob come true, though i want to see the earth burn and the 'low-quality condoms' might just be too 'weak'
          ...science/physics/universe can't tell good from bad, which means that both concepts are abstract and don't matter... don't be afraid of acting on this knowledge...

Comment

Originally posted by NIMBUS View Post
            i have more general spn question - why aren't angels pissed at castiel, it was clearly visible in this episode, they only blamed the brothers, just seams weird; cas could be god's version of ruby... anyway something's dirty.
            I have two theories about that. One, he's a nobody now since he fell from grace and they don't concern themselves with him anymore, ore two they give him a wide berth because it's pretty clear that God favors him since he brought him back form the dead after the archangel 'smote the cr@p out of him', as Chuck said in Lucifer Rising.

...although it advanced the story it sucks that zach died. he was funny and cool dude and was only portrayed 'over-annoying' when interacting with brothers...

@ starg8fans. that's an awesome theory and one that will prob come true, though i want to see the earth burn and the 'low-quality condoms' might just be too 'weak'
            LMAO, very well put, Nimbus! I'm pretty sure, though, that whatever theory I come up with Kripke will hit us with something totally unexpected. It's what he does. And I love him for it.

One thing I forgot before - I loved how Bobby put Dean in his place when he told him he's not his father. I couldn't believe Dean could sink so low as to hit Bobby with something like that. Hopefully Dean hit rock bottom at that point, and is gonna revert to something more of his former self.

sigpic
            Check out my SGA and Fringe fanfics on fanfiction.net

Comment

Quite a good episode I think, I'm pretty sure Adam has been returned to Heaven, although it wouldn't be the first time the Angels had sent a Winchester back down to Earth. Zach was in charge of that if I recall, so now that he's gone, I wonder who'd next be responsible for sending the boys back?

As mentioned above, whilst it is unlikely, the idea that Sam and Dean both stick to saying no, and having Nick? and Adam as the vessels for the fight would be interesting. Sam and Dean doing everything they can do protect people from what is about to come.

On the other side, we're suppose to be getting a season six, and we've four more episodes left for season five. Its been stated that season 5 is to tie up on the Apocalypse, so season 6 would only ever be about the fallout of it; that is, if it happens. Its possible that Sam and Dean both say yes (to save people) - if Angels have to uphold their promises, and Sam and Dean make them swear they have to do everything in their power not to kill innocent people, they might have something, then God jumps in to stop it all?

Then again, if God created everything, and had planned for all of this all along, he'd already know the answers...
              sigpic
              It's Probin' Time!

Comment

Originally posted by Aerilon View Post
                On the other side, we're suppose to be getting a season six, and we've four more episodes left for season five. Its been stated that season 5 is to tie up on the Apocalypse, so season 6 would only ever be about the fallout of it; that is, if it happens.
                Interesting phrasing here, "...only ever be about the fallout of it..." Makes it sound like season 6 is just going to be a epilogue to season 5. Not sure I would have put it like that. From what I have heard, season 6 is going to start a whole new storyline. So, I imagine (like all their past seasons), they will have to address past happenings, but I would hope that's not all they do!

So, last night's episode. I liked it. A lot. Not sure yet if I loved the episode itself as a whole, or if I just really loved parts of it. Mainly, 1) Dean getting his smackdown from Cas 2) the showdown with Zachariah in the 'holding room' and 3) Sam.

Now, I do love Sam. Without his presence, Dean's character wouldn't be what it is. The two of them together are the best thing about this show, but...I AM a Deangirl.

HOWEVER...I ADORE Sam these past few episodes!! Love love love love love LOVE the way he is handling things and taking care of Dean. The gentleness with which he is helping Dean through his crisis-of-faith is....wow. Even when he (deservedly) yells at him, he is still treading so carefully because he knows how broken Dean is.

And the looks between the two of them in the pretty room? Non-verbal acting at its best. These were my favourite of all the Dean moments last night. You could see each thought go through his mind, just by watching his face. (Plus, it doesn't hurt that they use the 'beauty light' when filming on that set, so Jensen is looking awfully purty!!! ).

Episode as a whole, though. Still not sure. I think all the parts were needed. There weren't any slow parts. Those on the spoiler thread know that I was worried there was going to be too much Adam, and there wasn't (SO happy he really wasn't a Michael alternative! ). Part with Zachariah in the bar was funny...yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think this IS a great episode!

2 of my favourite small parts that haven't been mentioned yet:

-Dean walking up to the bible thumper (nice continuity). Loved that Dean thought of it, how he cuts to the chase, "I'm Dean Winchester. Do you know who I am?", the guys reaction, and DEAN'S reaction to that reaction.

-Dean got the best line...(well, one word) as usual when facing down Zachariah. "Expendable."

Comment

Originally posted by Crichiel View Post
                  -Dean walking up to the bible thumper (nice continuity). Loved that Dean thought of it, how he cuts to the chase, "I'm Dean Winchester. Do you know who I am?", the guys reaction, and DEAN'S reaction to that reaction.
                  yeah I liked that too, "you pray too loud" had me LOL

all in all I'd be very disappointed if we don't get LuciSam vs MichaelDean battle royal after all that build up

Comment

HOLY S*** that was an awesome episode.i honestly thought dean was going to say yes and become michaels vessel at the end and was shocked to see him kill Zachariah instead.and castiel just gets better and better and better not be dead!
                    Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                    thats wat im thinking and hoping i think it be great to see adam back before its over...even if he is all michaelfied,it would really mess with deans head and probably force him to say yes

Comment

Originally posted by kennythewraith View Post
                      HOLY S*** that was an awesome episode.i honestly thought dean was going to say yes and become michaels vessel at the end and was shocked to see him kill Zachariah instead.and castiel just gets better and better and better not be dead!

thats wat im thinking and hoping i think it be great to see adam back before its over...even if he is all michaelfied,it would really mess with deans head and probably force him to say yes
                      I don't think Castiel is dead. Not yet, anyways. I am not sure he will make it through the season finale though.
                      sigpic
                      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                      "...phu...ah..."
                      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Honestly, I needed the second time watching it until I totally loved the episode. The reason for that was very personal: I expected some fast paced action stuff. Don‘t ask me where I got that idea, maybe that what was my mind made up from the spoilers I saw. Not that I am digging too much into spoilers at the moment.

This episode way beyond action stuff. It was so much deeper.

At first there is the story, which might be a little light on the first sight but we needed the time to be aware of a lot of the stuff which is normally to be found in the cut scenes, and that is the interaction between the characters when nothing is happening.

We had a total shift of focus here and I have to mention that there goes much to the acting of Jared. That guy went from good to great in the last couple of episodes. When it comes to emotional things Sam always was more on the cool side. But this was the second time he had tears in his eyes and I totally bought it.

It surely is to one-sided to say that the show focused more on Dean dealing with the things
                        which were happening with his brother, but it is how it felt especially in the second and fourth season. Things were either viewed from both sides or more from Deans side. But in this episode we finally get totally Sams side. He is the one who stands for his brother, even when that guy refuses to stand for himself. To have that shift and the impact when Dean realizes this, all shown just with the change of Deans facial expression in the scene with Zachariah was incredible.

If we are there: Jensen was also incredible. That first scene broke my heart, and during the whole episode he pulled every string right until the end.

Misha. Finally he got more to do and that guy can kick ass! Great fight scenes with the other angels and especially with Dean. It was also great to see how mad he was at Dean. Don‘t piss off an angel!

Some questions which stay open:

Did Dean put the keys for the impala into the box or was that his lock-picking equipment? If it were the keys, then Sam (who must have driven the car back) must have found the letter. I hope, but I don‘t really think that we will ever know what Dean wrote. Or is the letter legible in the HD version?

What did Dean expect Cas would do when he said „just do it“? Did he really think that Cas would kill him or something?

What happened to Cas when Dean zatted him out? He was pretty fast back and he knew where Dean was. Does he have back-up somewhere?

Why was Dean able to kill Zachariah? He isn‘t an angel, and as far as we know only angels are abel to kill angels. Is this maybe in any kind related to the fact that he was able to see the true face of daemons shortly before he went to hell?

What happened to Adam in the end?
                        Some slightly negative points: I know that angels are dicks, but killing two people just to deliver a message is a little bit too much collateral damage.

Second thing is that Dean said „I‘m tired, man“ again. That line is getting old. It was the third time we had it and it just doesn‘t have the impact any more.
                        The cake is a lie!

Comment

Originally posted by iolanda View Post
                          Why was Dean able to kill Zachariah? He isn‘t an angel, and as far as we know only angels are abel to kill angels. Is this maybe in any kind related to the fact that he was able to see the true face of daemons shortly before he went to hell?
                          This is the only thing that bothered me. I loved how angels just completely dwarfed anything else we had seen. My favorite scene to date is when Dean ***** slaps that demon in a situation that just a season ago would've ended up with two dead hunters. Now people can kill angels too?

If I remember correctly, Uriel says that only an angel can kill an angel. It added to the epicness. Now a shiny knife can kill an angel too. Makes you wonder how did stabbing angels not pop into their heads earlier. Youd think that'd be at the top of their go to options.

Comment

I enjoyed the episode (especially the part where Zach got what was coming to him ), but I didn't love it. And was a bit let down in some places.

My main gripe has got to be Dean laying this on Sam...again. "You'll eventually give in Sam and I can't allow that blah blah blah." I don't like that Dean feels that way, and that that was the prominent excuse they were going to use for Dean's decision to go and agree. (And I say this as someone who is in neither brother's camp when it comes to who I like more). For me this season, it was about how Dean was slowly breaking down because of what was going on around them. It had very little to do with Sam appearing to be on the edge of teetering to the dark side. I know they played that up at the beginning of the season, but they backed off and, imo, Sam seemed as resolved as ever. I haven't forgotten what happened in The End, but I still say Zach was screwing with Dean. I just didn't like that part or that being used as the excuse. So I don't think it was wrong of me that I enjoyed Dean getting the snot beat out of him by Cas.

I like that Adam wasn't an easy work around, but I certainly didn't mind seeing him again. Angels certainly play dirty. I do hope he got to see his mother again though when they zipped him back to heaven. Poor guy.

Cas zapping himself. I didn't quite see that coming. I thought the box cutter was going to have something to so with drawing blood, but I didn't see him carving it into himself. Cas is awesome.

I'm kind of disappointed a yes wasn't exchanged, but then I've always believed (and still do) that no one will be killed and Lucifer will be tossed back down into hell somehow. There will be no grand battle because of the supposed destruction it will cause and because of what it will supposedly lead to if one side or the other actually wins. I could still be surprised of course , but I'm sticking with this theory.

Originally posted by iolanda View Post
                            I'm pretty sure Zach's an angel. It's never been suggested otherwise as far as I can remember. He is just higher up on the ladder. I would assume that even Michael (or even Lucifer) could be killed with the angel killing sword. Don't see why they would be exempt other than for the writers to make up some special exemption for story purposes.

Second thing is that Dean said „I‘m tired, man“ again. That line is getting old. It was the third time we had it and it just doesn‘t have the impact any more.
                            Yeah, I agree that it is getting kind of old. Not that it isn't true for him but it gets repetitive.
                            Last edited by LoneStar1836; 17 April 2010, 05:03 PM.
                            IMO always implied.

Comment

I always wondered why the angels never just kill Sam. His continued existence is a threat to all of creation. I know theres some possible plot device keeping him alive, like god wants it so, but still. The second thing id do if I were Michael after killing Lucifer would be to off Sam just in case.

Comment

Working...
                              X