This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darren
    Jessica was cast in "Lost City" with the understanding that the producers were planning to spin off the character into Atlantis. She had an extended contract up until a few weeks before Atlantis started filming, so that she didn't get scooped up by another job.

Ultimately, the producers decided to keep the character but recast the role. Jessica's contract expired, and hopefully she's off getting lots of great work. It's the entertainment biz, and I don't get the impression there were any hurt feelings. It's just how things work.

Having met Torri and become somewhat infatuated with her (in a very Amanda Tapping sort of way), I think she's going to be a terrific Dr. Weir!
    You've got a thing for older women, eh? (Meh, what am I saying, I think she's hot! )

Comment

Offer her a cool drink then,Teal'c!
      That should cool her down a treat...
      The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Originally posted by Darren
        Jessica was cast in "Lost City" with the understanding that the producers were planning to spin off the character into Atlantis. She had an extended contract up until a few weeks before Atlantis started filming, so that she didn't get scooped up by another job.

Ultimately, the producers decided to keep the character but recast the role. Jessica's contract expired, and hopefully she's off getting lots of great work. It's the entertainment biz, and I don't get the impression there were any hurt feelings. It's just how things work.

Having met Torri and become somewhat infatuated with her (in a very Amanda Tapping sort of way), I think she's going to be a terrific Dr. Weir!
        I was told that they never told Jessica Steen the reason behind their decision. I found her to be professional and nice. I did think she looked too young for all the character's accomplishments. But then Torri looks very young, too. I personally think Steen refused to wear those 5 inch heels they gave her, ever again! Maybe it's a simple as getting the right mix,... you know cast chemistry.
        Hatshepsut, Queen Pharaoh

Comment

I loved Steen in Earth 2, way back in the day. I really hate it when they go and switch actors up on you in the middle of a show...like they always do with main characters kids.

The problem with Steen is that she doesn't really have that command aura like Mulgrew did in VOY. As much as it hurts to say it, I don't think she would have been good for the part, in terms of launching a series.

Phil
          Teal'c: I believe a medical attack could be successful.
          Jack: Surgical attack Teal'c. It's called a surgical attack.

Comment

Yes, that's true. She was very good as a physician. She was also very good at playing a Guantanamo Bay investigator on that spin-off of "Jag". I think the show is called "Navy CIS"

Hi George! (He told me to watch it & I know he visits here.)
            Hatshepsut, Queen Pharaoh

Comment

As I have said before in these forums... The fact is that Jessica Steen signed up for the role of Dr. Weir knowing that it might lead to her working in the spinoff series. So she was more than ready to do Atlantis, but they decided not to go with her for whatever reason (she wasn't told). Jessica told me she played the character the way she did because she didn't want to have to go through a series playing some ultra serious character (like she did on Earth 2 and other dramas). I think she wanted Weir to be a little quirky. They apparently let her create the character the way she wanted to. If they had a problem with what she was doing they could have asked her to change it I am sure.

In any case it doesn't matter any more and Jessica has moved on. She just got done shooting a movie in Vancouver with Wesley Snipes called "Chaos" and she will be on NAVY NCIS (for the 3rd time) this Tuesday May 25th.

George C.

The Jessica Steen Page
              http://www.jessicasteen.com/
              George C.

The Jessica Steen Page
              http://www.jessicasteen.com/

Comment

*sniff* *******s...Jessica is a waay better actress than the person they've got now to play Weir...
                Last edited by Madeleine; 24 May 2004, 05:23 AM. Reason: Moderator edit

Comment

I'd suggest you wait and see Torri as Dr. Weir before making a judgment like that. Only seven weeks to go!
                  GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                  The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                  Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Originally posted by jex_piperUK
                    *sniff* *******s...Jessica is a waay better actress than the person they've got now to play Weir...
                    That's an extremly unfair comment. In fact, I think Corin Nemec is better than Michael Shanks (see how you like it now! )

Comment

Well of course, that is my opinion and that is yours

Comment

Personally I actually thought the actress from the Season 7 finale did an incredible job and am disappointed that she won't be back to continue the role during the show, but at least I know that Torri Higginson is great too.
                        If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

Even though I'm a bit iffy with this whole actress change...I was looking at a picture of Torri the other day and except for the hair, I really do think TPTB have really picked a good look-a-like. That's the only think I like about the whole thing. Sometimes they pick someone who looks totally different to the orginal person who played that character. Take Michale Gambon who will be playing Dumbledore in the Prisoner of Azkaban, he looks totally different to the other guy who played him in the previous two films.

Comment

As Dumbledore, I think they look almost exactly alike. Voice is different, but what can you do?
                            "When all else fails, there's always delusion." - Conan O'Brien

Comment

Well what happened in Harry Potter was unfortunate...but I still don't see why TPTB wanted to change the actress for, when they didn't need to, Jessica was doing a wicked job...how stupid they can be sometimes.

Comment

All this discussion about the evil PTB and blah, i just skipped many of the discussion, reason, and etc. So does anyone really know why they replaced her? Or did she simply not want the role anymore?
                                Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Working...
                                X